New Members?

medicchief

Forum Supporter
Seems to me that I don't see new members saying "hello", like I used too. I can remember spending 30+ minutes every other day, greeting newbies here. You think the hobby interest is declining, or is it just me? If so, wonder what's up? Could it be...…? The latter sounds like an Oak Island narrator "lead in", lol!

Last edited:
Last edited:
I just checked and it looks like OVER 250 new members have joined since the 1st of the year ! :shock:

The reason many of them are not noticed is that many of them have not yet posted their first post.

To see for yourself go to the members list at:

http://metaldetectingforum.com/memberlist.php

and click on "JOIN DATE" then click on the "V" arrow next to "JOIN DATE" to do a "Reverse Sort Order" to list members starting with the most recent new members first.

There are over 5 pages of new members from the first of the year (50 members listed per page) and notice how many still have 0 posts, and I guess most of us only notice a new member joined when they post their first post saying they just joined. I just thought to check the list again now because of this thread to see how many new members have actually joined since the 1st of the year.

So as of now that makes roughly about an average of 6 new members a day since the 1st of the year !

…….more than I thought, and likely more than many of us thought ! :shock: :lol:

I think it's just you......new members are joining just about every day.

I just checked and it looks like OVER 250 new members have joined since the 1st of the year ! :shock:

The reason many of them are not noticed is that many of them have not yet posted their first post.

To see for yourself go to the members list at:

http://metaldetectingforum.com/memberlist.php

and click on "JOIN DATE" then click on the "V" arrow next to "JOIN DATE" to do a "Reverse Sort Order" to list members starting with the most recent new members first.

There are over 5 pages of new members from the first of the year (50 members listed per page) and notice how many still have 0 posts, and I guess most of us only notice a new member joined when they post their first post saying they just joined. I just thought to check the list again now because of this thread to see how many new members have actually joined since the 1st of the year.

So as of now that makes roughly about an average of 6 new members a day since the 1st of the year !

…….more than I thought, and likely more than many of us thought ! :shock: :lol:

You only get to see the new members whose registrations we approve. On top of those, there are about 3 to 5 additional registration requests that we don't approve because they are spammers. ;)

You only get to see the new members whose registrations we approve. On top of those, there are about 3 to 5 additional registration requests that we don't approve because they are spammers. ;)

……..and thanks for that ! :goodjob:

(I have seen unmoderated forums in the past I avoided because I didn't want to wade thru pages of posts that were only just trying to sell stuff in order to find helpful info like on how to fix something :lol:)

Last edited:
Good responses/explanations. It's nice to see the numbers and I see that many don't introduce themselves is a factor for sure.

Seems to me that I don't see new members saying "hello", like I used too. I can remember spending 30+ minutes every other day, greeting newbies here. You think the hobby interest is declining, or is it just me? If so, wonder what's up? Could it be...…? The latter sounds like an Oak Island narrator "lead in", lol!

We have seen a influx of new members... some do and some do not give a intro... also have had a spike in spammers but we take care of them. I'm moderating up to 13 new members a day some are spammers waiting as well... been like this for a while.. my ban count going up nicely as well :lol:

Last night I even had the opportunity to ban a troll :roll:

We have seen a influx of new members... some do and some do not give a intro... also have had a spike in spammers but we take care of them. I'm moderating up to 13 new members a day some are spammers waiting as well... been like this for a while.. my ban count going up nicely as well :lol:

Last night I even had the opportunity to ban a troll :roll:

Let me guess who...

Also note that some new members don't make a formal opening introduction ("New member from XXX etc") but just go to a specific thread and ask a question about a topic right out of the box.

I live by a popular county park by the river. I visit the park every day in the morning to walk my dog and probably once a week practicing with my detector since it is a trashy park and good place to run the 800 through its paces.

In the past week I have met two newbies. That is more than I met in the park in 2019. One lived within 1 mile of the park and the other about 9 miles.

Both read this forum but did not join. I think a lot of newbies that just read this forum feel they don't have anything to contribute (wrong) and are not the kind to ask questions to seem dumb (wrong).

The TV channels that have series like Oak Island and one on the discovery channel or travel channel and all the detecting youtube videos and forum post make a guy/gal jump from being interested to buying their first detector.

We have a lot of good starter detectors, Ace, Vanquish, Simplex, 600 and others that don't come to mind at the moment. Plus there is more employment now that in the recent past and thus more money and security to start a new hobby.

I personally think we are going to see another wave of new detectors like in the 1970's and 1980's when the dectecting technology took a jump. We have seen a recent jump in technology with the Equinox, Simplex+ and Vanquish especially in terms of performance per dollar gain.

Thus we will see even less silver in the upcoming years and more detectorists at the parks, lakes and beaches. I think the current relic hunters are safe because it takes more efforts and research to locate good relic sites especially colonial and civil war sites.

So I take the time to help newbies when I can in this great hobby.
Don't always greet new members like I should. I just wish new member would post their detector make and model and their location. Hint, hint, hint.

Back
Top Bottom