• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

respectful question

jarehrig

hello, I joined the site awhile ago and then my wife had cancer and I got elected to a new job so I forgot all about metal detecting, Someone was in my office recently and we were discussing all the rich history in our area which rekindled the desire to do metal detecting.
I was wondering what advice you might have for someone that is just getting started in Connecticut.

I will leave the advice giving to the people up your way but welcome to the hobby and the forum.

Thank you for the warm welcome, just out of curiosity what boat did you serve on ?

Welcome from Winnsboro, South Carolina !!!!

While you are waiting for replies from members in Connecticut here is a section for members from Connecticut, these state groups tend to be somewhat inactive but maybe you can see what members there are that are still active on the forum -

http://metaldetectingforum.com/group.php?groupid=230

also check this section for members from Connecticut -

http://metaldetectingforum.com/search.php?searchid=12272191

Hope things are going better for you all now !

:mder:_____:mder: _____:mder:_____:mder:

My advise to you is to MD with your bride. Let her find places to hunt and even if you can't hunt a place she picks, go for a long ride and tell her you are scouting out areas. Get coffee, get flowers and laugh as hard as you both can.

If you make it South to the Island, PM me.

I will pray for you and your wife.

GLHH

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

I would start in your own yard, regardless of when it was built. I have found coins from the 1700's in modern schoolyards. From there, I would talk to family members and close friends. That's usually good for a couple of spots anyway. Once you feel you got the hang of it again, start venturing out in public or gaining permissions. Welcome back, you came to the right place! :cool3:

I would start in your own yard, regardless of when it was built. I have found coins from the 1700's in modern schoolyards. From there, I would talk to family members and close friends. That's usually good for a couple of spots anyway. Once you feel you got the hang of it again, start venturing out in public or gaining permissions. Welcome back, you came to the right place! :cool3:

+1.

There’s 3 detectors that I would look at right now. Nokta Simplex, Equinox 600 or 800. The Simplex is inexpensive and has some great features for the price. The Equinox’s are both hot detectors on the market. If you decide detecting isn’t for you they would be easy to sell.

Buy a good pinpointer and a good digging tool.

Get to looking. You will figure the rest out as you go

M

hello, I joined the site awhile ago and then my wife had cancer and I got elected to a new job so I forgot all about metal detecting, Someone was in my office recently and we were discussing all the rich history in our area which rekindled the desire to do metal detecting.
I was wondering what advice you might have for someone that is just getting started in Connecticut.

Its like fishing. You don't find anything, unless you're out there. That's the best advice I can give. That and Location, location, location. Pick a spot that is likely to have stuff you're looking for and get to it!

Skippy

Its like fishing. You don't find anything, unless you're out there. That's the best advice I can give. That and Location, location, location. Pick a spot that is likely to have stuff you're looking for and get to it!

Skippy

Go with Skippy's advice. AT Pro?, Equinox 600? they will all find most stuff if it is there. Equinox 800 won't find silver coins if they are not where you are hunting and neither will any other detector. I learned this lesson the hard way. Was not spending enough time on quality research and scouting for good locations and permissions.

Back
Top Bottom