• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

1917 market st

jruckman38

Elite Member
Had this in my clad ran it in the tumbler not sure what it's about or what it means anybody have any idea. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20200210_173846(2)_resized.jpg
    20200210_173846(2)_resized.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 658
That is actually someone's name and probably their address but you could type and punch anything on them up to 32 letters or numbers.
It is an identification medal, (or lucky souvenir coin), from what is called a Metal-Typer machine...these machines are rare and collectable, nowadays, but they still make and supply blanks for them and you still might come across one at fairs, arcades and tourist traps.
These machines have been around since about 1950 and lots of us have dug these tokens but every one is different, a very personal momento.
Nice find.

More info in this thread.
https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=234013

Attachments

• photostudio_1581406584023.jpg
    photostudio_1581406584023.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 560
  • photostudio_1581408217892.jpg
    photostudio_1581408217892.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 564
Last edited:
That is actually someone's name and probably their address but you could type and punch anything on them up to 32 letters or numbers.
It is an identification medal, (or lucky souvenir coin), from what is called a Metal-Typer machine...these machines are rare and collectable, nowadays, but they still make and supply blanks for them and you still might come across one at fairs, arcades and tourist traps.
These machines have been around since about 1950 and lots of us have dug these tokens but every one is different, a very personal momento.
Nice find.

Thanks a lot.

Nice find.

Excellent post.

Yes, those were just vending machine county-fair token-souviner making machine tokens. Where you could type in what you wanted the token to say.

Nice find.

I remember those things from the sixties when I was a teenager. They had them at arcades at "White Lake" and "Myrtle Beach. I probably made a few with my name on them. It would be something to dig one up with my own name on it.

I remember those things from the sixties when I was a teenager. They had them at arcades at "White Lake" and "Myrtle Beach. I probably made a few with my name on them. It would be something to dig one up with my own name on it.

I made one for myself in the 60's, too, back when I lived in Michigan.
Lost it somewhere along the way and finding it again would be a million to one shot at best but I now live in Alabama so I guess that number would be even higher now.

Quick search finds a William Saad born in 1935 that had sibling named Nora in west Virginia..I don't have a Heritage.com account so I couldn't get any farther.

Many times those tokens had some hilarious, off color messages on them. I've found a few I can't post.

I was on a school field trip to the museum of science and industry in Chicago in the fifties and I think nearly every kid in the class made one of those tokens. I think they were aluminum.

Back
Top Bottom