A Civil War-era 'Witch Bottle' may have been found

jimther

Elite Member
In this week's eNewsletter from the New England Historical Genealogical Society [NEHGS], in their "Stories of Interest" section, is a link to an article I thought the bottle diggers here might find interesting. Titled "A Civil War-era 'witch bottle' may have been found on a Virginia highway, archaeologists say".

Here is the link to The Roanoke Times article:

Jim

https://www.roanoke.com/news/a-civi...cle_f7e0bb81-9413-5f94-b5ec-0de4690befbb.html

In this week's eNewsletter from the New England Historical Genealogical Society [NEHGS], in their "Stories of Interest" section, is a link to an article I thought the bottle diggers here might find interesting. Titled "A Civil War-era 'witch bottle' may have been found on a Virginia highway, archaeologists say".

Here is the link to The Roanoke Times article:

Jim

https://www.roanoke.com/news/a-civi...cle_f7e0bb81-9413-5f94-b5ec-0de4690befbb.html

Archaeologist = "I found an extremely rare witch bottle...definitely not just a bottle with some rusty nails in it....unless you can prove otherwise!" Puts it in a museum.

Metal Detectorist = "I found this old broken bottle because it had a bunch of rusty nails in it." Dumps out the nails, cleans up the bottle, but eventually throws it away too because it's broken.

Last edited:
Archaeologist = "I found an extremely rare witch bottle..and definitely not just a bottle with some rusty nails in it....unless you can prove otherwise!" Puts it in a museum.

Metal Detectorist = "I found an old broken bottle because it had a bunch of rusty nails in it that were falsing a silver half dollar signal." Dumps out the nails in the trash, completely clueless that there's a minuscule change of it being rare, cleans up the bottle, but eventually throws it away too because it's broken.

:laughing: :lol:

As mentioned standard squat soda . With that lip damage likely little or more likely no value. What a joke of an article.

That bottle is from my neck of the woods. I've dug a few examples of that bottle from privy pits. It's from the 1870s, civil war bottles from columbia are iron pontiled.

Back
Top Bottom