What features make a detector suitable for coin-shooting?

yashar

Hi guys.

I did a bit of research around this question, and here’s a gist of it:

Lower frequencies (2-4 KHz) of operation. Reason: The device need to hit deep where the coins usually reside.

Pulse induction device are not fit for coin shooting (?).

Ground balance. Reason: Coins can be found in various grounds with different make-up.

Different coil types and sizes as demanded by different hunts (?).

Are these points accurate? Is there any other desirable feature in a device opted for coin-shooting?

A little background: I’ve developed a website to help with choice paralysis. At the moment the website only contains a few categories of products. I’m trying to add metal detector to the website’s inventory if possible.

Thanks

Lower frequencies (2-4 KHz) of operation. Reason: The device need to hit deep where the coins usually reside.
Lower KHz for silver ... Mid KHz for average ... High KHz for gold

They have tough time discriming

Ground balance. Reason: Coins can be found in various grounds with different make-up.
Soil condition can change in mere inches

Large coils for open area .. Smaller when getting into more objects in the ground

Are these points accurate? Is there any other desirable feature in a device opted for coin-shooting?
Notching .. Discrim

Hi guys.

A little background: I’ve developed a website to help with choice paralysis. At the moment the website only contains a few categories of products. I’m trying to add metal detector to the website’s inventory if possible.

Thanks

Lower kHz for coins like silver, this works in mild and medium mineralized ground but higher mineralization higher freqs like 28khz approx work better.

Lower KHz for silver ... Mid KHz for average ... High KHz for gold

They have tough time discriming

Soil condition can change in mere inches

Large coils for open area .. Smaller when getting into more objects in the ground

Notching .. Discrim

Very helpful. Thanks for pointing out "discrimination and notching".

Lower kHz for coins like silver, this works in mild and medium mineralized ground but higher mineralization higher freqs like 28khz approx work better.

Thanks for your remarks. This article recommends lower frequencies for coin-shooting. But in light of your point (as well as Valley Hunter's), I guess the article has made some assumptions. At any rate, I guess a device featuring multiple frequency technology, should be ideal for coin-shooting.

That it goes "beep" over metal.

:spaman:

Its funny when a Mod posts in a SPAM thread, but doesn't catch it :lol:

Yes, all detectors detect metal, but there're subtle differences in case you haven't figured out yet. Would you take your beach-combing device, to hunt gold nuggets? Maybe you would, but many don't.

I'm not a spammer buddy. I'm a real person asking for expert advice. So please do not insult others. I honestly and completely explained where I'm coming from. Other folks caught it, you didn't apparently.

yashar said:

Hi guys.

You asked a good question for a beginner, and I have been answering questions like this since a good 10-13 years before you were born. It's great to ask questions, but not such a good idea to include answers that do not seem to be from a broad and reliable set of sources. Most are quotes from a source by Mark Orwig (never heard of him) that was done about two years ago. Much of what he stated, and you have quoted here, is not very correct. And that is part of something this fellow posted stating:

"Are you looking for the best metal detector for coins and having trouble making a buying decision? After extensive testing with over ten years of metal detecting experience, our top pick is the ..."

The first question that came to me was "Who is this guy?"

The next question is related to him stating "our" top pick, and how many people are included in "our"? Ten years experience divided by how many people averages to how many years of experience apiece?

Next question is": What type of Coin Hunting experience does he/they have, and how frequently has he/they detected and in what types of site environments in order to qualify any level of knowledge and experience?

The initial starting quote leaded the entry into his/their list of the Top 5 Detectors For Coin Hunting, and he/they selected the Garret AT Pro as their #1 pick!

#2 thru #5, in order, are the Fisher F22, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett Ace 300 and Minelab E-Trac.

Comical, and reading the reviews and his replies to some of the questions aren't very impressive, either.

yashar said:

Wrong and Wrong. The lower-end of the VLF range would include detectors operating from about 2 kHz to ± 8 kHz. There are two primary benefits associated to the use of a lower-end operating frequency. One is that they can general handle higher mineralized gerund a bit better, and Two is they might have a bit better responsiveness to higher-conductive targets such as copper and silver coins.

I have only been an avid Coin Hunter since March of '65 and I can assure you or anyone that most lost coins do not usually reside 'deep.'

yashar said:

PI detectors can be used for any type of hunting, but most PI units do not provide functional Discrimination to help deal with common trash associated with most Coin Hunting environments.

yashar said:

True, coins can be found in various types and amounts of mineralization, but the benefits of having Ground Balance is to cancel the effects of the ground, and also to adjust (also called calibrate) the GB for any search coil change that is made.

Even then, most average hobbyists haven't a clue about how Ground Balance works or what search modes it does, or doesn't effect on the detector they are using.

yashar said:

It isn't just the type of search coil used, but the size of the search coil, and also how some detectors may not perform well with certain types, being better performers with only one more than the other.

yashar said:

#1 would be site selection. You can't find many coins if there isn't a good likelihood for them to be lost there.

#2 is to actually read about and then try to handle any make or model detector of interest.

• Know the type of Ground Balance it uses

• the search coil selection

• the response and recovery time when using Discrimination to reject trash

• learn the benefits of the type of visual display information as well as any available audio Tone ID features

• check the balance and feel for comfort level

• make sure the detector can be worked at a slow and methodical sweep speed to be able to respond to targets in a confined space or when closely associated with trash

And make sure you have at least one or two accessory search coils, especially a smaller-than-stock size as those are very important for Coin Hunting because most coins are not that deep, but are often in amongst discarded trash.

Rather than refer to and quote a source like you did, I think it would be more wise to study up on detectors that interest you, then ask constructive questions on this or other Forums about those specific models and get direct answers from those who have, or have had, those makes and models and can share their opinions.

Monte

Yes, all detectors detect metal, but there're subtle differences in case you haven't figured out yet. Would you take your beach-combing device, to hunt gold nuggets? Maybe you would, but many don't.

I'm not a spammer buddy. I'm a real person asking for expert advice. So please do not insult others. I honestly and completely explained where I'm coming from. Other folks caught it, you didn't apparently.

Not your buddy, pal. I can smell a spammer a mile away.

Site has Rules. Other folks read them, you didn't apparently.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/announcement.php?f=8

- Links to your business/website found in posts, will be removed.

Back
Top Bottom