How do I use my Killer Bees with Equinox, tethered?

rluna

Elite Member
I have been searching the internet and can not find how to use my
killer B headphones Plugged directly to the Equinox.

So in other words, I "don't" want to hunt wireless. I want to hunt
tethered to my machine like I do on my Etrac. I dont want to
have any latency happening.

Thanks,
Randy

I use the Planet Waves 1/4" stereo to 1/8" mono adapter. Cost me 19.99 online. Minelab makes a specific adapter for 1/4" to 1/8" reduction but it costs a lot more.

You can plug the Planet Waves adapter directly into the Control Pod's audio port if you absolutely insist on being tethered to your 800. You could also plug any 1/8" headphones or earbuds that have a long enough and skinny enough plug to fit that waterproofed audio port.

Personally, I just use the same adapter cable and plug into the WM08 module. Latency is less than .17 ms from what I understand. I do not notice any latency whatsoever and the audio quality is excellent. I do notice latency with the ML80 Bluetooth headphones and any other earbuds and headphones that I use even when they are Bluetooth 4.0 or later, APTX Low Latency. Not being wired to the Equinox is also pretty nice. Just like the audio plug on the back of the Control Pod, you can plug in any 1/8" plug headphones or earbuds directly into the WM08 if the plug is long enough and the plug housing will fit.

The Planet Waves is stereo to mono because Minelab uses an oddball polarity arrangement for its plugs on the CTX and Equinox...........Why???????

Attachments

• DSCN0036.jpg
    DSCN0036.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 553
So I bought this minelab cable yesterday. So with this can I plug this
into the bottom of the control box and then plug my headphone into the
1/4" end for a direct connection?

Attachments

• Equinox Headphone Cable.jpg
    Equinox Headphone Cable.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 498
So I bought this minelab cable yesterday. So with this can I plug this
into the bottom of the control box and then plug my headphone into the
1/4" end for a direct connection?

Attach the minelab 3011-0369 1/8" to 1/4" cable to the headphone connector on the machine. If you run it to the back of the armrest, you can attach it there with zip ties and connect any pair of 1/4" headphones and use it without bluetooth or the module. It becomes old tech. I use my equinox in this manner, got used to the Fisher F75 with the same configuration. The coiled headphone cable stays mostly out of the way when the plug in is behind your elbow. I can post you a pic if you need it.

Just to make sure I did this right although its kinda hard to get it wrong...lol
Here is a picture of how I attached the phones using the minelab 3011-0369 1/8" to 1/4" cable.

It doesn't work :( Still only hearing it through the detector speaker.
Tried flipping the switch on the headphones but that didn't do it.

Am I missing something here?? (scratching my head)

Attachments

• Headphone cables S.jpg
    Headphone cables S.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 449
The WMO8 module is over rated, and the need to adapt to 1/4" head phones was a miststake made by Minelab. I did make the configuration using my Sunrays and the WMO8 once. It was glitchy and that stupid coil'y wire nagged and nagged. It just wasn't worth it. I did bypass the WM08 and used the adapter to 1/4 which the Sunrays need. That put me right back to being bridled to a wire.

Simply buy the best bluetooth, low latency phones and skip going wired. Don't count on the ML80 factory HPs. They are lousy.

The WMO8 module is over rated, and the need to adapt to 1/4" head phones was a miststake made by Minelab. I did make the configuration using my Sunrays and the WMO8 once. It was glitchy and that stupid coil'y wire nagged and nagged. It just wasn't worth it. I did bypass the WM08 and used the adapter to 1/4 which the Sunrays need. That put me right back to being bridled to a wire.

Simply buy the best bluetooth, low latency phones and skip going wired. Don't count on the ML80 factory HPs. They are lousy.

Hey Martin,
I dont mind being tethered. As a matter of fact, I prefer it :) Only because it gives me
a sense of confidence that I know the signal that I'm hearing is the signal I'm hearing.
If you know what I mean.

As far as headphones go.....I think the killer Bs give you the best sound of any I've tried
and since they are what I have been using for years and I'm use to their sound, I dont want to use anything else.

So for now I will deal with the little bit of latency and just use my killer bs with the WMO8.

It has been three years since I went through this. I have the CTX version of Sunray ProGold phones that have a switch on the headphone to set the wiring to match the Minelab configuration. Note there are two locking switches - black and yellow, on the cup. The only reason that I can imagine for the way they do it is to hinder use of headphones not made by Minelab. The wiring simply makes the headphones operate as mono, same signal input to both ears.

Custom cable from parts purchased online 1/8 stereo to 1/4 mono wiring in second pic.

Attachments

• EQ + SunrayProG-3521.800.jpg
    EQ + SunrayProG-3521.800.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 409
  • Stereo-Mono 1-8 to 1-4 extension3522.800.jpg
    Stereo-Mono 1-8 to 1-4 extension3522.800.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 431
I have the same headphones as Mikey48 and I have an older set of Garretts with a stereo/mono switch. I have no knowledge of your Killer Bees and how they are setup or if they will work with the Planet Wave adapter. Personally, I did not want to be tethered to my Equinox. I also did not want an expensive, long adapter cable from Minelab with the waterproof fitting. I wanted the shortest adapter cable I could find that would easily plug into the WM08 module. That is why I use the $9.99 Planet Wave adapter.

I have to set my Sunray Pro Golds and my Garretts on mono in order to get sound in both ear cups with the Planet Wave adapter whether I use it plugged into the back of the Control Pod or into the WM08.

Some people have reported that they needed a stereo to mono 1/4" plug adapter plugged into the official Minelab waterproof audio extension cable you bought in order for some detector specific high end 1/4" stereo plug headphones to work and for the onboard speaker to shut off.

All I can say is that the 1/4" stereo plug headphones I own that do not have independent ear cup volume level controls and stereo/mono switches work fine with the Equinox with just the extension cable from Minelab or a simple 1/8" stereo male female cable with a 1/8" to 1/4" stereo adapter plugged into the cable and my headphones plugged into the adapter. My "high end" detector specific headphones with all of the bells and whistles have to be switched to mono. I can't explain it.......

Just to relieve some of your hesitation to trust the WM08 module, just plug in any two ring plugged stereo ear buds or headphones you have that have a plug skinny enough and long enough to fit into both the Control Pod and the WM08. Your ML80 headphones should have come with a 1/8" to 1/8" male audio cable. Just plug one end into your ML80s (don't turn them on) and plug the other end into the Control Pod and listen to some air test targets. Do the same with them plugged into the paired WM08. I bet you will not hear any difference in lag.

Last edited:
Ayuda con los killer bees

Randy lograste usar los killer bee con el equinox 800,si es así ,como lo hiciste.
Me están trayendo unos killer bees que quiero usar con mi equinox 800
Agradecería la ayuda
Saludos

I have been searching the internet and can not find how to use my
killer B headphones Plugged directly to the Equinox.

So in other words, I "don't" want to hunt wireless. I want to hunt
tethered to my machine like I do on my Etrac. I dont want to
have any latency happening.

Thanks,
Randy

Look up Tony Eisenhower on line, he makes his own quality headphones for sale. Tony also makes all of my custom headphone cables and he know how to wire them correctly. I will send you his email.

Back
Top Bottom