Equinox goodies

aj0421

Elite Member
Having just got my new equinox and investing a good amount of money I made a couple little purchases to protect my detector and make it a little more comfortable. I found these both on fleabay after seeing a video on YouTube. The cover says made in USA the neoprene arm cuff padding I am not sure of but they both came from the same seller. I hope I am not violating any forum rules just wanted to post these items for anybody looking to protect their detector. I am in no way affiliated with the seller. The fit and finish are very nice and I like the plastic screen cover, it reminds me of the Vanquish.

Attachments

• 20210428_180902.jpg
    20210428_180902.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 783
  • 20210428_180937.jpg
    20210428_180937.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 774
  • 20210428_180955.jpg
    20210428_180955.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 808
Last edited:
Not needed, I just like to keep my stuff looking nice.

I have both of them also, and a charging port cover which I recommend. The cover needs to be tied so you don't lose it though.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 811
One drawback with the cover, is they will overheat with them on if you hunt when it is hot out. The Equinox overheats with a cover on them.

Thanks for the heads up. If I experience any overheating I will put some holes it the cloth material to see if it helps.

I havenā€™t experienced any overheating but havenā€™t detected over 90f probably. That cover is gonna save that screen and or screen cover and overall the whole head unit a ton of abuse. I also have the charging cover as well and it does keep that free of any buildup and such.
11DA5E95-5A6D-4446-8A88-A272A58C000F.jpeg

One drawback with the cover, is they will overheat with them on if you hunt when it is hot out. The Equinox overheats with a cover on them.

Yes they do. Mine did several times on the beaches here at home. I took cover off and it never overheated again. I no longer use them.

Yep, absolutely...I stopped using dust covers on my Equinox a couple years ago. It was impossible to hunt in direct sun on a hot day without having the display go belly up if a dust cover was used. Once I stopped using it, I've never had a problem since.

Thanks for the heads up. If I experience any overheating I will put some holes it the cloth material to see if it helps.

In my experience, holes won't help. Here's my thread from a couple years ago when I tried popping a bunch of eyelets into my cover to serve as vent holes:

Equinox In The Sun w/Aftermarket Dust Cover

The vent holes failed miserably - they literally didn't do a lick of good. Instead, I'm now using Tony Hunt's (Detecting Innovations) excellent vinyl keypad stickers to protect the face, and a 3D printed rubberized plastic bumper that serves as impact protection - it's never overheated using this setup.

Attachments

• BDBFA59B-D6D4-45FB-B75F-0358A848C3EC.jpg
    BDBFA59B-D6D4-45FB-B75F-0358A848C3EC.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 648
  • 1B4C5542-37D7-420F-ADD1-0709FA050518.jpg
    1B4C5542-37D7-420F-ADD1-0709FA050518.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 612
  • C90906B2-3DD6-4B34-9373-F998B257F26E.jpg
    C90906B2-3DD6-4B34-9373-F998B257F26E.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 638
  • 6C746D97-3985-4A5F-BB18-BB2A6D2E60C9.jpg
    6C746D97-3985-4A5F-BB18-BB2A6D2E60C9.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 622
Looks really nice buddy [emoji106]. So now that you've had a chance to swing it a little what do you think of the arm cuff padding? Is it easy to take on and off ais it washable?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

AirmetTango, tell us about the protective cover for the coil wire connector shown in picture 3 above. I've been covering the connector with a balloon when not attached.

I've been using the same cover as aj0421 for almost a year and really like it. It makes cleaning muddy fingerprints so much easier. Never had trouble in the heat, but then again I probably overheated before the Nox in the 90+ degree weather.

Looks really nice buddy [emoji106]. So now that you've had a chance to swing it a little what do you think of the arm cuff padding? Is it easy to take on and off ais it washable?

I have the same cover and have been running it for a few months. I really like it. Yes, you can remove it fairly easily. Mine never gets that muddy so I usually spray it down with some Simple Green and just wipe it down. Same thing with the control box cover.

Hello JoeKeeling, I only tried it in front of my house for a few mins. It is better than nothing I believe and less than $20 I thought it was worth a try. I will post back after I have a few straight hours on it. It goes off and on very easy because it is only about a 1/8 thick and stretches. Washable I am not sure of, maybe just a good hand wash and let dry. I don't know if you fish but I would treat it just as I do with my stocking foot fishing waders which the booties are made of the same material. I rinse them from the salt water and sand and just let them air dry over my bathroom tub.

I have both of them also, and a charging port cover which I recommend. The cover needs to be tied so you don't lose it though.

I have a charging port cover, but it lacks that little attachment point, which is an excellent idea....

I also use a control box cover but over heating issues is not something I am likely to expirience here in the UK. :roll:

Update - I've been using this cover for a year and on Memorial Day I noticed my display looked odd, a bit dark at the bottom and I could barely make out the settings icons. But I wasn't pressing the settings button! I took the cover off and the display returned to normal.

I'm pretty sure this was overheating. It was hot, the same day I sweated so much I ended up with severe leg cramps even though I was drinking.

Shame, I really liked the way it kept my pod clean on the muddy days.

Despite my earlier post, I had this happen the other day..the clear plastic part of the cover acted like a mini green house and heated the control unit to the point the display started to fade..once I removed the cover, the display returned to normal within a few minutes...

Back
Top Bottom