Best metal detector for under $300

If you're stuck on buying new you might want to consider a Nokta/Makro Simplex. A lot of features for the money and you can bet it will be deep and fast.

treasure pro

I also live in iowa.have a garrett ace 400 which is great,also have a whites treasure pro which i like even more.either one is a good machine.been detecting since late 80s,started with a whites 6000 di pro.

My 5 cents.

After weeks of reading about metal detectors; have already purchased 4 myself and fixed 2 of them. ( I tinker with electronics)

I own

Whites classics 3 (soon to be modded)
Garret GTA 350 (predecessor to the new Ace 350)
Gold digger from Bounty hunter.
Pioneer 505 from Bounty hunter.
Tesoro bandido 2 umax.

I have owned - Garret GT2500 (very good machine) really expensive for such old technology. The price lingers between 500-800$. A clone of it is the MD5008 Which is very affordable on ebay :)

What do I recommend?
My recommendation would be based on the budget amount.
If you are able to spend enough to buy a new machine and like to follow trends then either "deus or equinox " will do. They do take a bit of a learning curve from what i have read and heard on the internet. Those will set you back 850 to 1200$ to your door with 3-5 years warranty. * I believe 3-5 years on warranty on an item this expensive isn't near enough.

If you want a vdi - (visual display) then get a Garret AT/pro or gold. You can find used for about 400 or so. Their resale value is pretty good.
Fisher F75 is also an excellent choice. (preferred) due to its versatility and tones. Great reviews. 400$ or so used as well.

If your budget is less than 300$ then get used. Which do I recommend?

Even though they are mostly beep and dig with discrimination to iron/foil; and do have a nice discrimination for older tech - TESORO machines are top of the line. " too bad they ran out of business" If you can find either (Vaquero, Lobo, Tejon, Gold or silver Sabre, Bandido umax 1 or 2) then you are good.

Here is a guy that does excellent reviews and tests different manufacturers and gives unbiased opinions. his name is " Scannerguy1968 " on youtube.

These are my findings over weeks of looking into it; In the end, I am thinking of building my own from info following Geotech metal detecting forum.

While on this subject, where do you recommend finding used detectors in this price range? I have no problem with used but as a new person to this hobby, how do you know what is what in a second hand machine?

Thanks

While on this subject, where do you recommend finding used detectors in this price range? I have no problem with used but as a new person to this hobby, how do you know what is what in a second hand machine?

Thanks

There is craigslist and ebay, but you always have some risk there no matter what you are buying. Most decent size cities are going to have a club, its worth a shot to go to a meeting, or check for local facebook groups. If you have any nearby dealers that would be a good place to start.

Not finding any groups and the closest thing to a dealer is a coin shop and Cabelas. Neither of which I would trust for honest info. Was hoping to find a source for used which has experienced people vs people like me who really don't know anything.

Treasure Classifieds will have more specialized listings than Craigslist or Offerup - more likely to be dealing with knowledgeable sellers, too. Downside is that the new listings can charitably be described as 'a trickle' - maybe 2-4 in a given week.

Was wanting a little bit more detector but found a Tesoro Compadre for a really good price. I can look for something better down the road if I stay with the hobby. Last MD that I ever had was an OLD Garrett Gold Hunter. The old green metal box. Actually still have it in the basement but haven't a clue how to set it up or if it even works.

I would look at the Teknetics greek series. A lot of good options in that price range. I had great luck with my Gamma 6k.

Check out the Bounty Hunter 3300 - it’s currently at Costco for $99.99. It is the same as a Fisher F4 and a darned good machine.

Made a Choice

6 months later I'm looking at this thread and leaning toward that Teknetics Eurotek Pro. It comes with the 11' DD coil I guess but I read that one fella uses a 8" concentric coil.Can someone tell me what each will do and not do? Which one would I use for the Beaches here near Galveston,Tx. Ed / 77563

After much thought....as a starter machine I decided to get the Garrett ACE 300. Hope I will be pleased with it..I'm sure I will. Should be here by this Friday the 22nd. If there is a better coil (for the beach) let me know. Happy Holidays, stay safe, and beware of your surroundings.

Last edited:
Beware:

Well here goes folks. The Description of the machine you MAY want to get is necessary before your purchase. I live near Galveston,Tx., and I will do most of my hunting on beach areas. I just ordered an ACE 300 and it's not here yet...by the end of this week it will be. In short, I'm thinking about selling it right off the bat...$300 shipped. WHY? I should have done MORE research on this machine. I was talking about getting it on a different thread and wound up reading this. The 300 operates on one freq. only. The description on line says #1. it operates on 8 khz and the email I got today from Garrett, said it operates on 10 khz !! #2. The 300 has no multiple freq's which you really need due to power lines and other electrical interference. #3. I learned from the other thread that it's OK to hunt in DRY sand and on fresh water beaches and in shallow fresh water....BUT NOT WET BEACH SAND. That's the killer that took the wind out of my sails. The 300 comes with only 2 accessories......coil cover and sheath for fowl weather and rain. There is a LOT of wet beach sand in this area.....not like big Florida and California beaches. So, this is why I may sell it to someone without even opening the box. I think I will look into the 400 as $$$$ is tight for me. BTW: I better read the description first!! PM if your interested in a NIB 300. I live in 77563. (Ed.M.)

Well here goes folks. Descriptions Descriptions of the machine you MAY want to get. I live near Galveston,Tx., and I will do most of my hunting on beach areas. I just ordered an ACE 300 and it's not here yet...by the end of this week it will be. In short, I'm thinking about selling it right off the bat...$300 shipped. WHY? I should have done MORE research on this machine. I was talking about getting it on a different thread and wound up reading this. The 300 operates on one freq. only. The description on line says #1. it operates on 8 khz and the email I got today from Garrett, said it operates on 10 khz !! #2. The 300 has no multiple freq's which you really need. #3. I learned from the other thread that it's OK to hunt in DRY sand and on fresh water beaches and in shallow fresh water....BUT NOT WET BEACH SAND. That's the killer that took the wind out of my sails. The 300 comes with only 2 accessories......coil cover and sheath for fowl weather and rain. There is a LOT of wet beach sand in this area.....not like big Florida and California beaches. So, this is why I may sell it to someone without even opening the box. I think I will look into the 400 as $$$$ is tight for me. PM if your interested in a NIB 300. I live in 77563. (Ed.M.)

Why are you buying new? That’s your problem,your on a limited budget that’s not bad at all if you look at the used machines..Lots of great ones out there on these forums for sale in your budget,and 10 x s better than new starter machines in your price line..Few At pros going for $280? That’s a insanely cheap price ,and lots of guys use them on the beach..hard to beat that machine for all around

Why are you buying new? That’s your problem,your on a limited budget that’s not bad at all if you look at the used machines..Lots of great ones out there on these forums for sale in your budget,and 10 x s better than new starter machines in your price line..Few At pros going for $280? That’s a insanely cheap price ,and lots of guys use them on the beach..hard to beat that machine for all around

Remember.....I am a Rookie. Live and learn sir. But your right tho. I'm very leary about used equipment. I've learned that some sellers do not tell you everything about whats for sale. (i.e. something may be wrong with it). If I can sell mine, I'll definitely look into the used AT Pro's for $280.

Remember.....I am a Rookie. Live and learn sir. But your right tho. I'm very leary about used equipment. I've learned that some sellers do not tell you everything about whats for sale. (i.e. something may be wrong with it). If I can sell mine, I'll definitely look into the used AT Pro's for $280.

Pm sent

AT Pro isn’t going to solve the salt water problem. Equinox 600 would.

I really love my $160 and $80 Compadres but for the Pacific Ocean beaches, Nox...

Find a used 600 or call Jeff and Quality Metal defectors - a forum sponsor and see what he could do for you. Or, buy that lower $ non-salt machine and find some fresh water lakes and soccer field sideline gold and buy a Salt machine, if I can do it... :)

My ACE 300....may be for sale when I get it. $300. Should be here Friday. I have an option...sell it (NIB) or send it back and hopefully get a refund.

Send it back for a refund,,trust me you’ll never get anywhere near that on eBay and definitely not on these forums...Not being rude here,just realistic and trying to save you from losing a lot of loot.

Back
Top Bottom