Magnetic Probe suggestion...

pacer

BottleCapKing suggested in another thread that I should consider a "Magnetic Telescoping Probe" and I gave it some serious consideration. Having recently chased a small scrap wire and screw, I went out and purchased one. Worked like a charm. See photo of what I was chasing and the Magnetic Probe I ended up buying.

Attachments

• Junk.jpg
    Junk.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 388
  • magnetic probe.jpg
    magnetic probe.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 416
I hit the local hardware store and grabbed a neodymium magnet the size of the handle of my Leche. I stuck it under the grip at the end of the handle and I always have it without have to remember it or having to carry something else.

somewhere i saw that a guy took and drilled out the end of his wooden trowel handle and epoxied a round strong magnet in it thought that was ideal...

I could have used one the other day. Somehow my Sidewinder was stuck in the all metal for a while and I was picking up paper clips, hair pins and other small metal objects that I usually don't. I was hunting once and a good signal suddenly disappeared. I looked for it for several minutes before I saw a magnet stuck to my digger.

I run a PI detector (no ferrous disc) and it will detect very small iron bits.

These little bits are nearly impossible to see and the pin pointer will move them around so very hard to find.
I have been using a hard drive magnet, very strong rare earth type, in a plastic bag to find these little bits of iron. Works great.

The bag allows removing small iron fragments easily.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom