Coinstar Gives Up Big Silver

diggin4clad

Elite Member
It's been a slow year at the Coinstar machines but that changed a bit today. A group of coins in the tray included a 1964 90% silver Kennedy Half plus a 1943-P steel wheat cent.

Attachments

• IMG_1150.JPG
    IMG_1150.JPG
    166.6 KB · Views: 364
:dingding: Nice save Ed. Didn’t have to dig or get dirty for those. I got a ‘64 Kennedy half in a Coinstar a couple years ago. Bet you did a virtual fist pump upon scooping those !

:dingding: Nice save Ed. Didn’t have to dig or get dirty for those. I got a ‘64 Kennedy half in a Coinstar a couple years ago. Bet you did a virtual fist pump upon scooping those !
No fistpumps Jim.....I scooped the coins and quietly slinked away down the canned good aisle. :lol:

Wow nice catches Ed, You dont see big silver in a coinstar very often. Big congrats!
Thanks Jeff.....I've been checking Coinstars for about 5 years now and this is the fourth Silver Kennedy I've gotten from them. Two of them were 40%'ers though.

Nice grab! Don’t see ‘em often, although I nabbed me a Franklin half couple winters ago.
Thanks amc.....

Wow, I've grabed about 4-5 silver Rosies this year. A 64 half!! nice save. Boy.. how the heck does a person miss/leave a coin like that in the tray.

Sweet big silver and a quarter!
Thanks, I was hoping the quarter was silver but no such luck.

Wow, I've grabed about 4-5 silver Rosies this year. A 64 half!! nice save. Boy.. how the heck does a person miss/leave a coin like that in the tray.
Makes you wonder what they're thinking when they leave such a large coin in the tray.

I've found a few silver quarters and even a sterling Australian Shilling,but never a half dollar. How do people leave coins like that?

That thing must’ve made a RACKET falling into the reject tray! To tell you the truth, the first time I ever used a Coinstar, I was not aware of the reject tray. All of the noise from the coins going through the machine kind of masks the coins going down there, so it was by luck that I saw it. I know about it now though!:lol:
Extremely nice pick! Looks to be in nice condition too!

Looks like someone shaved that penny into a dime size. :shock:
Probably tried to make it into a dime but failed miserably :lol:

I've found a few silver quarters and even a sterling Australian Shilling,but never a half dollar. How do people leave coins like that?
It definitely makes you wonder, doesn't it ?

Wow! That thing had to make some serious noise in the reject tray. Nice save!
I'm glad they didn't hear the noise. :yes:

That thing must’ve made a RACKET falling into the reject tray! To tell you the truth, the first time I ever used a Coinstar, I was not aware of the reject tray. All of the noise from the coins going through the machine kind of masks the coins going down there, so it was by luck that I saw it. I know about it now though!:lol:
Extremely nice pick! Looks to be in nice condition too!
Thanks....it's nearly in mint condition.....

DAAAAAAAAANG that's a sweet haul! Congrats :)
Thanks Groundsweeper.....

How exciting! I adore finding easy treasures in a coin star. Never found a 90% half, though! I do wonder why they kick out the quarters, though. I found two yesterday, along with a few other coins. I figured that maybe the modern design changes on the back sometimes confuses the machine

How exciting! I adore finding easy treasures in a coin star. Never found a 90% half, though! I do wonder why they kick out the quarters, though. I found two yesterday, along with a few other coins. I figured that maybe the modern design changes on the back sometimes confuses the machine
I have no idea as to why certain modern coins are rejected but it seems that a lot of the times US coins are rejected if there are Canadian coins, foreign coins, mutilated, or greasy/dirty coins in the batch.

A nice one there D4C. You did good. Don't see many halfs in the reject tray. And a 64 no less, that one kinda stands out by itself. Being the only year 90 % r Kennedy. Definitely a nice snag. I was lucky enough a few years back to find a Walker. The guy that sweeps the floor at the local super market watches the coinstar like a hawk and swoops in the second the customer is gone. He shows me all the the silver and wheats he finds and I counter with pics of my dug silver. He said he found an 1817 LC and didn't know what it was. Thought it was a token. He's off on Fridays and I have struck twice this year. Anyway nice addition to the coffers. Good luck, Mark

A nice one there D4C. You did good. Don't see many halfs in the reject tray. And a 64 no less, that one kinda stands out by itself. Being the only year 90 % r Kennedy. Definitely a nice snag. I was lucky enough a few years back to find a Walker. The guy that sweeps the floor at the local super market watches the coinstar like a hawk and swoops in the second the customer is gone. He shows me all the the silver and wheats he finds and I counter with pics of my dug silver. He said he found an 1817 LC and didn't know what it was. Thought it was a token. He's off on Fridays and I have struck twice this year. Anyway nice addition to the coffers. Good luck, Mark

Thanks Mark.....This is the fourth silver Kennedy I've gotten from Coinstar.
Two were 90%ers and two were 40%ers. The silver Kennedys from Coinstar actually outnumber the clad Kennedys......

Back
Top Bottom