My first ever Roman finds - TWO curse scrolls and a carved animal

Sand87

Been detecting for about 13 years now and FINALLY found Roman! Not one but two Roman curse scrolls and a carved animal, likely a ram.

Curse scrolls were strips of lead and they would carve a curse on them, for example if their neighbour stole their cow or slept with their wife they would write a curse on a piece of lead, roll it up and throw it near or in some water and the gods would exact their revenge. To find one is quite rare but two in one day :laughing::laughing:

Sometimes they would roll coins up inside the scroll. Until I've spoken to the museum I'm not even going to attempt to unroll them as apparantly most end up broke this way.

Youtube Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDatS1e8a3E

Pictures:

https://imgur.com/a/OpArJ

I know Roman objects come up in England a lot more frequently but they're a bit more rare up here and for me personally they're a first. And I've been over that field a few times before with the Garrett so well done Minelab!

I hope you enjoy them, cheers.

Cheers again Sand. Another great video, keep em coming. The curse rolls are fantastic, the cute little sheep is as well. Jeez I can't imagine finding such ancient goodies. I may have to fly over and pay you a visit. It's such a pleasure to hear your excitement.

John

Thanks, you're welcome over here any time :D

To be honest I wasn't as excited as I would have been because at the time I didn't really believe that's what they were, when I got home and got confirmation you should have seen me, haha!

Cheers, good luck with your own hunts and cheers for the ID on the tubular things they do look quite similar to common reed roots which is what you suggested there but they also seem to have a few differences...hmm, need to investigate further.

Just incredible to find not one but two!!!
Do you suppose the river was larger at one time and that they were thrown in there, then it dried up?

I guess part of my awe of finding relics of age is because of our penchant for hunting Rev War items. To dig up and hold in your hand, an article that a soldier once held and dropped is so very special. In Europe, you guys take it to a new level.
Having those lead curse rolls would be special indeed. That being said, I'd have to find a way to open (unroll) one. Imagine what it might say. My guess is that a metallurgist or museum technician would have a way. Probably heating it to somewhere just below melt point would soften even the brittle metal, gotta be a way. Find out how they flattened the dead sea scrolls for instance. I think lead stays malleable far better than copper. I'd think you can find someone to help you for free, just to see what's in there.
Do let us know what those beautiful bronze floral pieces are. They remind me of part of a Roman chest plate type thing.
Where abouts are you hunting over there. General area? I've recently found out through genetic testing that much of my bloodline, in addition to being part Inuit, comes from western England. Family names of McGrogan and McClain. We've often discussed taking a trip over.

Had a very useful comment over the weekend from somebody that pointed out these may not be curse scrolls...:no:

What they may be is the starting material for soldiers to make their own musket balls. They would snip off a piece of lead, melt it, pour it in to a little mold and you have a simple, fast way of making your ammunition in the field.

This seems more likely than two Roman curse scrolls in one field, however, I need to wait for the museum to get back to me, there is still a good chance they are Roman scrolls. They do look almost identical to others that are in databases so fingers crossed!

The box shaped thing was a matchbox holder and the disc shaped thing with 'France' on the bottom was the base of a pewter goblet which I thought was really cool.

So I'm very sorry for the false alarm, they may not be Roman BUT they may be...lol.

flyguy - it was suggested that I put them in boiling water to soften them before opening but everybody advised not doing this myself as they are easily broken and I'm on the edge of Edinburgh on the East coast of Scotland. I can't recommend visiting highly enough and if you do bring your detector and get out digging with somebody on their permission!

Oh and the flower patterned pieces of metal are apparantly finials from a clock/mirror/picture frame. Cheers!

Absolutely amazing

I never knew about those scrolls prior to your finds here. That is just amazing. I am so excited for you. If you ever unroll them you will have to let us know what they say. Even if it ends up that they are the sniping lead, that is also cool. But would kind of like to see what the scrolls look like in person now.

Back
Top Bottom