Scored a Cone Top Beer can at Estate Sale

GLASSHOPPER1955

Elite Member
Now that the leaves are covering all my potential dump sites and digging's drawing to a close for the season, I have started hitting more estate sales.

Was striking out till I spied this Wiedemann's Bohemian Beer cone can for only FIVE DOLLARS! and to top it off, it's still full! These date from the mid-late 30s to the 50s, but since this has the Internal Revenue Tax Paid spiel, it's before 1950. This style can is known as a "Crowntainer". I dig a fair number of cones in dumps but in this day and age they are rusted beyond saving. So nice to find one still in the wild above ground and in great shape. It made my day...and week. ;)

Attachments

• DSCN5057.jpg
    DSCN5057.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 538
  • DSCN5058.jpg
    DSCN5058.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 531
  • DSCN5059.jpg
    DSCN5059.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 533
Last edited:
I don't think it's worth more full. The beer can forums I am on, they always empty full cans for fear that the beer will eat through the inner lining, then the metal. If you use an old loop type bottle opener carefully it won't bend the cap and you can recap the can after rinsing and drying. Hell of a score, i would imagine that's at least a couple hundred bucks unless it's a common variation. Oldest beer I have sampled is 1962 but I have a circa 1950 bottle of Country Club waiting for a special occasion.

Very nice find - the logo reminds me of the Budweiser logo, but in the old days the patriotic theme was more popular.

Nice score GH! The ones I have found are rusty, and mostly unreadable.

Nice score GH! The ones I have found are rusty, and mostly unreadable.

Yeah most any you find outside or by digging are gonna be pretty bad, it's been too many years ago now. Finding cans that were always inside/under buildings/inside walls are usually the only real way anymore.

I'd like to know the story behind this one, why it was still around with the beer inside. :?::shock:

Bought a six pack of Billy (Carter) beer back in ‘77. Drinking age in Michigan was 18 at the time, raised to 21 in 1978. Cannot find that full 6-pack to this day. Think my brother drank it, poor guy.

Bought a six pack of Billy (Carter) beer back in ‘77. Drinking age in Michigan was 18 at the time, raised to 21 in 1978. Cannot find that full 6-pack to this day. Think my brother drank it, poor guy.

Ha, yeah I remember those, also the J.R. beer (as in "Who shot J.R.?)

Being right across the border in Indiana which was dry on Sunday, it was a weekly tradition to run across the border to Whittaker's Grocery in New Buffalo, Mich. to get beer and bring it back to Michigan City beach in the Summer. :cool3: Indiana, till recently had some of the most archaic liquor laws anywhere.

Ha, yeah I remember those, also the J.R. beer (as in "Who shot J.R.?)

Being right across the border in Indiana which was dry on Sunday, it was a weekly tradition to run across the border to Whittaker's Grocery in New Buffalo, Mich. to get beer and bring it back to Michigan City beach in the Summer. :cool3: Indiana, till recently had some of the most archaic liquor laws anywhere.
Lived in Ft. Wayne as a college student for two years 1982-83, near the Coliseum. Had a blast!

Newport Kentucky is across the river from Cincinnati, OH. We lived in the general "tri-state" area until I was 17 - and I remember Wiedemann Beer quite well. It was the cheapest beer in the area (about $4.00 for a case of 12 oz. barrel-shaped brown bottles in the late 70's). I remember my brother and our friends pooling our money and getting our soft-hearted aunt to pick up a couple of cases each weekend for us...LOL!

Great find on the can! Even though I lived in the area and collected beer cans - I never saw this particular Wiedemann can.

Back
Top Bottom