Anyone faced any backlash from offering free recovery services?

SoKyHunter

Not that I’ve gotten anything direct, but I did make a post on a local Facebook page offering free recovery for lost items. No charge, no fees. If you know approximately where it was lost, I’ll take swing over and see if I can find it.

Apparently I’ve ruffled some feathers, namely from retirees who may or may not metal detect. The angry emojis are real.

Looks like you might be cutting into their supplemental retirement income. Tell them to perform an airborne sexual attack on a round, mobile pastry.

Roger

In NE FloridaI am often known as the man to call for lost items. I actively offer them on several local web sites and forums. I’ve never had any backlash.

In fact several newspaper, magazines and 2 local tv stations have done articles and stories on me and my free services. As I stated during the tv interview, “ Free makes you very VERY popular!”

Attachments

• A38D278B-A3EB-4AEF-9263-C5CD4C4127C0.jpg
    A38D278B-A3EB-4AEF-9263-C5CD4C4127C0.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 1,576
Them old guys probably think a young whipper snapper like you can't get the job done. Need to have a seasoned detectorist.

There is a group that advertises that they will come hunt and the cost is only gas money and what you an afford or what the item is worth to you. You may have cut down on their income. I would not worry about the nay sayers.

Looks like you might be cutting into their supplemental retirement income. Tell them to perform an airborne sexual attack on a round, mobile pastry.

Roger

I'm a senior and couldn't stop laughing. Not offended in the least, to funny!

I got the same response in an ole ghost town but one yes and ill have my foot in the door ?

I'm a senior and couldn't stop laughing. Not offended in the least, to funny!

I'm guessing you're one of very few who actually interpreted the less "civil" version of the words that I typed.
And FWIW, I too, am a newly retired "senior" of 62, and got my very first SS deposit yesterday.

Roger

I'm guessing you're one of very few who actually interpreted the less "civil" version of the words that I typed.
And FWIW, I too, am a newly retired "senior" of 62, and got my very first SS deposit yesterday.

Roger
Yes and Congrats Roger, on the SS. I too am retired 3 years now. Will be 62 next month. The wife is a year younger than me so am going to go ahead and wait until next year and put in when she does. We are fortunate to both have pensions which is becoming a rarity today.

Well, Scuba, your "domain" is a bit more specialized than us above ground dwellers, and the associated equipment is a bit more expensive than even a high end detector, so you quite well deserve some compensation for your recoveries.
What was the value of that one powerboat prop? 3 grand, was it?
Oh, wait! That was also part of the prop shaft, too, wasn't it?

Yeah, I'd say you were worth a C-note.

Roger

Well, Scuba, your "domain" is a bit more specialized than us above ground dwellers, and the associated equipment is a bit more expensive than even a high end detector, so you quite well deserve some compensation for your recoveries.
What was the value of that one powerboat prop? 3 grand, was it?
Oh, wait! That was also part of the prop shaft, too, wasn't it?

Yeah, I'd say you were worth a C-note.

Roger

Roger, I ask for air and gas. I do get a lot more most the time. BUT I never ask for it. People reward me with 20.00 - 500.00 in tips which I say thank you and gladly accept. Yes that one prop and shaft were worth over 3 grand. Another prop I recovered was worth over 1800.00. A watch over 10 grand and so on.

Actually, when a guy thinks about it for a minute, you probably come out better than if you had a set fee. Most folks get the opportunity to think about what you're doing for them, and the perceived value of their "loss", while your underwater. This probably nets you a better gratuity return then a set recovery fee.

In any case, judging by the number of retrievals you've posted about, then making some assumptions about what you haven't posted about, you've probably done a better job at building a local reputation than anybody around. I'd say you're running your hobby the right way.

Roger

Not that I’ve gotten anything direct, but I did make a post on a local Facebook page offering free recovery for lost items. No charge, no fees. If you know approximately where it was lost, I’ll take swing over and see if I can find it.

Apparently I’ve ruffled some feathers, namely from retirees who may or may not metal detect. The angry emojis are real.

Have you seen the price of insulin nowadays? I wouldn’t say you ruffled feathers,,those guys are dinasours and got scales.lol..What did you do! Lmao

For a few years now I've got an ad on a local classifieds website where I offer to look for lost items for free, however I state that I appreciate a reward if I find the item to cover my equipment and travel costs. I've had a few recoveries, one in fact earlier this year where I found someone's platinum ring which he'd lost while fishing.

Two years ago I got a call from someone, who I later found out, by searching the number, also has a similar ad on this website. He told me that I should set a call out fee of $20, charge an hourly rate of $100 and also charge a fixed rate for when I find it.

I found that ridiculous. Of course I didn't do what he said. I'm here to help people and not to take their money :lol:

Well my partner and I found someone's phone, more so my partner, from the winter and somehow it still worked... contacted the owner and he called at 5 am and at first he thought it was a scam but after a while he realized I truly did find it. Then demanded to have it back right now because it was a good time for him... but I head to work in a couple hour so not so for me. Scheduled to meet at 5pm and he was supposed to call or text when he was done with work. No call no text gotten.

After a day or so my partner tried calling left voicemails and didn't get a reply.

A day or so later he texts me asking why I haven't called him to return his phone at 6 am, but said he couldn't get it right then. I told him to call my partner who had it that left a voicemail and he had some not so choice words with my partner. But the guy said he would call back when he was avalible. He did and of course demanded it back that instant... of which my partner was busy.

My partner is very nice if you treat him nice, civilized, unlike this guy, so my partner said he can find the phone in the landfill.... Or his chance to get it back was done.... one or the other.

Just crazy how some folks are

Well my partner and I found someone's phone, more so my partner, from the winter and somehow it still worked... contacted the owner and he called at 5 am and at first he thought it was a scam but after a while he realized I truly did find it. Then demanded to have it back right now because it was a good time for him... but I head to work in a couple hour so not so for me. Scheduled to meet at 5pm and he was supposed to call or text when he was done with work. No call no text gotten.

After a day or so my partner tried calling left voicemails and didn't get a reply.

A day or so later he texts me asking why I haven't called him to return his phone at 6 am, but said he couldn't get it right then. I told him to call my partner who had it that left a voicemail and he had some not so choice words with my partner. But the guy said he would call back when he was avalible. He did and of course demanded it back that instant... of which my partner was busy.

My partner is very nice if you treat him nice, civilized, unlike this guy, so my partner said he can find the phone in the landfill.... Or his chance to get it back was done.... one or the other.

Just crazy how some folks are

I would have dropped it off at the nearest Police or Sheriffs office and let them handle it.

Back
Top Bottom