Fisher 555-D find

Paul B

Just found a Fisher 555-D, is it a good find? Might get it for a song, don't know yet.

Thanks,

Paul B

Sorry to hear that...Millinieal(sp). (hehehe)
Yes it would be before your time :p
Trying to find folks that have or have had experience with one.
Paul B

Yay! Another Fisher 555-D!

Hey Paul. I've been using a Fisher 555-D for a little over two years. I think mine was made in 1981. I found it new in the box in 2016. It was beautiful! I should have put it in a museum, but I wanted to use it. I put batteries in it and it cackled like mad. I cleaned up the pots with DeoxIt D5 and F5 and it straightened right out! It is a solid performer for me. I am constantly amazed of what it finds. I feel that it is a true workhorse and that over time we have become a pretty good team. I am pretty proud of some of our finds. Use it in non-discriminate mode and it will find everything, and pretty darned deep at that. Over time one gets a feel about the target even though the info is a single tone. It is heavy and not well balanced, so it's a bit of a struggle there.
It is absolutely, still, a productive machine. I might get a new machine someday, but I often wonder if I will be disappointed.

IfindFe, , thanks for the feedback.
I may use from time to time as it sits in North Carolina at a friends house. WE visit a couple of times a year. I may eventually end up with it if the wife lets it go. Her husband past about five years ago. He did really good with it when he was alive. From what you have said and a little reading on the net it is a pretty good "old" machine.

Thanks again,

Paul B

Kraemer, hope you were just being sarcastic!! (hehehe), I have a friend who can find water and pipes with a dousing rod, pipes are after all metal, so is all we look for. So a curtain bent to dousing rods might work!

Really it was a fantastic detector in its day. It was a silver dime magnet. Still can be very productive today in VLF all metal mode. And using reverse discrimination to check a target only would be easier for more to hunt in straight Disc mode which is TR based, unless you are hunting on level ground.
I have had a number of 555's.

Due to age of the circuitry in these units, they may have lost some depth.

Attachments

• Fisher_555DB.JPG
    Fisher_555DB.JPG
    17.4 KB · Views: 598
  • 5551.jpg
    5551.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 679
  • 5552.jpg
    5552.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 779
fisher 555-d

Thanks Sven, I may give it a try the next time we visit our friend in N.C.

Paul B

That was my first decent detector. I found it in a pawn shop and took it down to Tulsa to the Fisher area headquarters and had it checked out. They also converted it to a hip-mount. Those things were heavy. It was a great detector and real sensitive. I wish I still had it.

Back
Top Bottom