AT Pro users what is Iron Audio?

Just to start, if you're not running any discrimination, iron audio is worthless, that's fact, not opinion...

<°)))>{

As I understand it, it's simply a way to momentarily disable discrimination so you can better suss the target.

You might want to get your hands on a Garrett catalog or go to their site. If you are asking questions about “Iron Audio” there are likely other features on the AT Pro that you do not know about. Garrett does a good job explaining the different features on the AT Pro and there are videos on their YouTube channel. I upgraded from an ACE 350 to an AT Pro last year with zero regrets.

Just to start, if you're not running any discrimination, iron audio is worthless, that's fact, not opinion...

<°)))>{

+1

Wish I could help but I run my machines wide open.

I wasted 2 months when I first got my 'Pro trying to iron audio this and discriminate that and wrote it all off as useless features.

+1

wish i could help but i run my machines wide open.

I wasted 2 months when i first got my 'pro trying to iron audio this and discriminate that and wrote it all off as useless features.

+ 2
hh

The best explanation for iron audio is a way to check iffy or suspect targets for iron , many steel bottlecaps can sound like a good coin , but turn on the iron audio and as the coil passes over that target you can hear the iron grunt just before and just after the high tone...alerting you to the presence of iron. " IF " you are using discrimination.

trying to iron audio this and discriminate that and wrote it all off as useless features.

Yep, the way we run them its not needed, iron sounds like iron.. Period...

I'll still dig some iron if its trying to hit a mid tone, that's where all my gold hoop earrings come and broken gold rings as well...

<°)))>{

Yep, the way we run them its not needed, iron sounds like iron.. Period...

I'll still dig some iron if its trying to hit a mid tone, that's where all my gold hoop earrings come and broken gold rings as well...

<°)))>{

Had a little white Gold ring hit at 39. High iron gets scooped as long as it isn't a big target. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=quGU34swYh0

This video explains it a little bit. Simple version is that it grants the ability to "hear" iron that you have discriminated out with just the push of a button. Some users will run the AT in standard mode or Pro mode with preset programs and discriminate certain audio tones. For instance, a coin mode which has discrim set to say 30. So the detector is then eliminating, or not giving an audible tone to these signals. By pushing the iron audio button, it essentially runs the detector wide open with no discrim, thereby allowing those "iron audio" signals to be heard. This can be useful if you want to check that signal that sounds a bit good and is giving good vdi numbers, but still has an iffy sound. most times you'll hear a small or lighter lower tone mixed with the good tone once you hit the iron audio button on the same target. Mostly this sound will be at the very start and end of the signal..ex low,high,low tone when going over the target. usually this means that the detector is also picking up iron in the target. Usually means old metal bottom cap from my exp.

Honestly IMO, I never use it. I run my AT wide open in pro mode. in doing so, I'm basically running it with iron audio on anyways. Hope this helps. maybe someone else can explain it better than i can.

I run mine with Iron audio off unless I want to check for a steel bottlecap. I may be missing some gold but if so then I will need to learn more with it and that sounds fun!
I could go insane with all the noise if run in Iron audio too long!
It is good to have the feature of iron a.
proportional audio is nice too!

The AT Pro with the 5"X8" DD coil is a painfully sensitive metal detector when searching a large area with lots of demolition debris and other tiny bits steel or iron.
I call it "rolling" sound rather than "proportional" because it give a clear view of not only the depth of what your coil is passing over, it also gives a fairly good idea of what the material is and how it's arranged.
For instance, I have one park with a pond that is frequented by ducks and Canada geese....and I mean in the hundreds.
Whether it be at night, or during the work day when nobody is around, someone peppers the pond with steel buckshot and the entire slope leading down to the water is saturated with these tiny steel balls.
There are also a lot of picnic tables and this appears to be a favorite hang out for wineos since there is a over abundance of aluminum wine bottle caps and the little rings left after the bottle is uncapped.
And, Corona beer must be consumed in this park by the gallon because every other good 85/86 signal, which should be a quarter is a darn Corona beer bottle cap.
But there are always a bunch of quarters to be found in this park and I've found a couple of nice .925 rings and ear rings...thanks to iron audio.
It's all in the listening because you can sort the short, tiny iron grunts out from the high mid-range silver as it passes over the quarters buried among the hundreds of steel shot.
When in Pro-Zero, with discrimination about 32, the rolling sound will give a tiny iron grunt, a good silver tone and then another barely discernable iron grunt. That's a Corona cap and a little wiggling will force a usually repeatable 62 from the false 85/86 signal originally heard from the aluminum bottle cap.
Otherwise I use iron audio to help define the size of a target when I'm looking for relics. The iron tone will start at the edge and stop at the other as the coil is moved over the target. And, changing positions around the target and waving it from different positions will help determine whether you're over a three foot section of old barbwire or a large piece of scrap from a old steel drum.
GL and HH.

AT Pro/GPP/Fiscars Diggers/BH Outback/CT Hand held

there is one area where iron audio is really amazing some of our beaches have firepits the area around them is unbelievably trashy if you disc up to 40 hit iron audio the iron trash becomes a mellower background drone and you can pick out the good targets its way different than running wide open which i do for any other situation try it if you come across that scenario

there is one area where iron audio is really amazing some of our beaches have firepits the area around them is unbelievably trashy if you disc up to 40 hit iron audio the iron trash becomes a mellower background drone and you can pick out the good targets its way different than running wide open which i do for any other situation try it if you come across that scenario

Yeah, This is also how I run in heavy iron, like you said, around fire pits or in this place...40 disc with audio off, low sens...although, most ALL signals are skewed by the masking effect...you just dont hear the iron and wear out your ears so fast, so you snipe for any other tones...You can sort of hover the coil real slow and seems to pick things out and isolate them like a sniper coil would, but its slow work in a mess like this...I have found one gold ring and a lot of silvers rings/coins/jewelry and one silver spoon here even, but you can see how bad it is, black sand, more iron than a junkyard...fun place to go when a guy wants to hear a lot of targets! even at 40 disc, I pulled one 15gr 10k chain that the tone bled through with a tid of 38 even though the disc was at 40, I got a foil tone...The Pro is amazing in a mess like this, stock coil...
Mud

Attachments

• iron2.jpg
    iron2.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 1,541
  • iron3.jpg
    iron3.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 1,547
  • iron1.jpg
    iron1.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 1,561
  • iron4.jpg