Search for ladies lost wedding ring...

pacer

I received a phone call from fellow club member about a couple who contacted RPDC about a lost wedding ring. Apparently, the wife while fishing lost her wedding ring while casting her line. Unable to find the ring, they gave our club a call. I was called as the location was located in my area and asked if I could help locate the ladies ring. I agreed to give it a try and called another club member Mike to give a hand. Unfortunately, neither Mike or myself were successful after 2 hours of searching. The bottom was covered in mid-sized boulder type rocks, lots of silt and undergrowth. Visibility was zero. Mike and I gave it our all. The couple was grateful for our attempt. Our club receives calls quite frequently to help in locating all sorts of things. We ask nothing in return for our services, except sometimes for gas $$$ if we are successful. As usual, we asked for nothing, however, they decided to give us $50 for our attempt.

Attachments

• 20190111_095614.jpg
    20190111_095614.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 478
  • Tom.jpg
    Tom.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 460
  • 20190111_112843.jpg
    20190111_112843.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 463
  • 20190111_103442.jpg
    20190111_103442.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 450
I just started taking a dip and MD in the water and I noticed that everything moves almost every second except slack tide. I find it even strange to find anything let alone something that was lost a few hours ago.

The ocean is big and a ring is so small.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Hopefully Scubadetector will chime in and give some advice here. Hunting that mucky stuff has got to be very difficult.

I might add that there was no current. The water source is from a geothermal hot spring and moves very slowly. Every step we took was a chore. Our feet either got stuck in the muck or was slippery when on the rocks. We had to use one of our scoops to stabilize ourselves from falling. We had difficulty swing our detectors because of the strainers under the surface. Here is a picture of Mike just after almost going completely down for a swim.

Attachments

• 20190111_112853.jpg
    20190111_112853.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 422
Are you asking for help?

Bounty hunter - treasure hunter - cabelas
Best find to date - 15g platinum ring and 1876 love token

Not asking but I can give you advice.

The bottom is soft? STOP WALKING ON IT. If you miss the target by half an inch with the detector and step on it, you will sink it too far into the muck to recover it. You need to snorkel and detect the area.

Good luck if you go back

Here's my take on this. Do not give up!!! Its there and can be found. A recovery is not always found on the first attempt. Also if she was casting it may have been thrown out further. Obviously the water is cold by the clothing your wearing. Warmer weather may help you get out further. Lower level of water may also get you out further. Snorkeling may be a option if you're comfortable with it. But just dont give it one shot. Go back till you find it

Here's my take on this. Do not give up!!! Its there and can be found. A recovery is not always found on the first attempt. Also if she was casting it may have been thrown out further. Obviously the water is cold by the clothing your wearing. Warmer weather may help you get out further. Lower level of water may also get you out further. Snorkeling may be a option if you're comfortable with it. But just dont give it one shot. Go back till you find it

The wife said she saw exactly where her ring hit the water and noted a reference point. Unfortunately, the husband grabbed a strainer from the kitchen and attempted to locate the ring for about 20 minutes. After speaking with the husband, he admitted he most likely stomped the ring deep into the muck. The water level is constant as it's source is from a geothermal spring. By the time the water reached the location, the water has become very cold. After I was done searching for a hour, my fingers were numb.

Scuba is right. You would have to be in a dry suit and experienced enough to be buoyant enough not to disturb the bottom and than lucky enough to find it in boulders.

CSI divers making good money and using the right gear may find it

Buy her another nicer ring, she's worth it if she likes to fish.

That looks like tough going right there! Way to give it a good effort though.

Back
Top Bottom