A note of inspiration for new folks - Long and boring

Another Red Green Fan...

I'm new here, and have had a detector for about 7-8 years or so. Didn't take it out seriously until this spring (busy raising a couple kids).

As a kid in the 70's I used to see middle-aged guys with a paunch, beard, probably players of Chainmail (precursor to Dungeons & Dragons), ham radio buffs, railroad hobbyists, tinfoil-hat people, and eccentrics who habitually attended estate sales and auctions. Now I'm in that demographic myself. I guess it was peering into the future...

I couldn't tell you the number of slumps that I've had and been discouraged in my thirty odd years of detecting, but I always come back. I have to find out what is under that next signal.

Good story Tin and advice got to keep hunting it does get agreevating at times but it's the thrill of the hunt. Howard

Well done, a good read.
I'm a new guy, but I think that's why they call it fishing instead of catching fish.
Surely, you can't expect to come home loaded down with treasure every time you go out. If that were the case, than metal detectors would be as popular as cell phones.

Nice read!

Tin foil hat,
Swing your coil like you do your pen and your stack of $20 dollar gold pieces are only a few afternoons away!

......write on,brother! :cool:

Great story I as a nugget shooter starting out went thruogh months before my first nugget. But you grind through just like you say and soon enough it will pay.

one time i was md'ing and after 3-4 hours,i get this steady silver signal and i dig and out come my 1st ever wheatie(1953) and a few feet later iget another silver signal i dig that and find 2 silver dimes in one hole one was 1959 the other was 1963 needless to say i'll be hitting the area tomorrow. :) i hope to hunt our local park this weekend since the civil war days was last weekend.

Last edited:
Good Post !!! We all have those days and times when we are discouraged !! I find myself on occassion getting too wrapped up in my expectations and not allowing myself to just have fun.

Being new to the hobby, I particularly enjoyed the story because I have felt that way many days. I get discouraged by all of the folks saying NO to me asking permission to search their land. Then again, this IS New York.....they say NO to everything. Any room for two more people in South Carolina ??

Great Ring too !!!

Great story.:D Ive been at this for a few weeks now,
(hard at it) without much success. That's just the motivation I need. My wife doesn't understand why I do this. I tell her it's like fishing, you never know when your going to hook the big one. She doesn't understand fishing either. Oh well. HH Keith

Back
Top Bottom