ACE 150 depth test

Thousandstar

I decided to do a coin (penny) soil depth test today. I found an area of my yard that had no metal signals of any kind. I buried a penny "flat" at exactly 6 inches.

In "All Metal" mode I couldn't get a signal on the penny. I tried different swing speeds and directions. I got nothing.
In "Jewerly Mode" I got a iffy signal. It would hit coin on one direction and ring on the swing back. I tried different speeds and directions and couldn't get a good repeatable signal.
In "Coin Mode", with a slow swing I could get a good repeated coin signal!
I expected the all metal mode to offer the best signal and was really surprized at the results of this test.

That's wild! I would expect all metal mode to be the deepest and best for getting deeper signals. I am not going to have to do my own test and see how things go with my machine.

Doug

Thats strange but a good thing if your a coin hunter. Its really good that it picked it up in any mode at that depth as it is harder to detect a freshly buried coin. Steve.

Ace 150 depth

What sensitivity were you at? and did you adjust it up or down while testing? Just wondering. I usually use the highest level of sensitivity while still maintaining a
a chatter free session...Just my 2 zincs worth

I conducted the test at max sensitivity.
I plan to make a better test garden and try and make a video.

I would really like to see more tests like this on different detectors. There is very little actual test comparisons of various detectors and thats a pitty.

I am not sure about the 150 but my machine in all metal mode on a fringe signal creates just a whisper. Were you using head phones? In Disc mode the processor assigns a signal that is loud and clear. maybe the 150 works in the same way. I have had targets at max depth that I could not hear in all metal non motion and yet get a signal from disc mode. I as well have found this strange but have resigned myself to thinking that the signal is so quite I can not hear it but the computer does. Maybe I am wrong but its the only way I know to explain it.
Hope this helps.

If a coin were to be in the ground under normal conditioins (very old) your detector would pick it up way better than than just planting it.

I check it again yesterday after it had rained and the coin produced a clear signal in all modes.

The rain made a BIG difference.

Rain:

If you think the rain made a big difference, try hunting in the rain. I spent several hours the other day metal detecting a very small totally hunted out park in a steady drizzle and found a "64" Rosey, a wheat, and $1.49 in clad including 3 nickels.

Back
Top Bottom