11 Gold coins and nuggets *updated* with clean up pics

What an incredible cache!!:shock: If I found something like this I don't know if I'd post it on a public forum. I'd be afraid the tax guy might catch up with me:lol:

I think I just decided where my next vacation will be :laughing: I just can't decide whether to go north or south of the santa Barbara line :lol: possibly both? South=silver north=gold if im not mistaken? :D Really great finds! Congrats!

I think I just decided where my next vacation will be :laughing: I just can't decide whether to go north or south of the santa Barbara line :lol: possibly both? ....

haha, well it's only southern CA proficient hot-shot hunters that we don't allow north of Santa Barbara. Out of state hunters can hunt anywhere in the state. Provided, of course, that you send me 30% "tax" on your finds. I accept paypal. :laughing:

11 Gold coins and nuggets

I don’t even have the words to describe how amazing that is. Probably the life savings of some miner who was out looking for more and got washed away by a flash flood or mauled by a bear. Why else would he have walked away from that cache? Simply amazing. Congrats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
haha, well it's only southern CA proficient hot-shot hunters that we don't allow north of Santa Barbara. Out of state hunters can hunt anywhere in the state. Provided, of course, that you send me 30% "tax" on your finds. I accept paypal. :laughing:
:lol: 30%!?!?!?!?!? Thats too much! I would feel much more comfortable with 35% :laughing:

Amazing.. A Lifetime Dreams gold coins and nuggets and fines too. Congrats..
I'm turning green... lol

Absolutely unreal. You just totally ruined it for those of us waiting to post our first measly GW find! :laughing:

I would seriously camp at a location like the one you found until every last target was removed.

No words to describe that find. Congrats to you! Is there any way to tell exactly what that thing was that the coins were in? Also, would you mind listing out the individual dates of the coins, and any mint marks? I can almost see them in the pics but can't zoom in. Thx.

It was a home made coin roll. They snipped a can and bent it. It coin busted open by later activity in the area.

$2.5’s- 1843-O, 1847-C, 2-1856-S, 1854-Philly. Last one might be wrong date. I don’t it on my list

$5’s-1852-philly, 1855-S, 1856-S, 1852 British sovereign-?, 20 Franc-1811-Paris/A, I don’t have the last one in front of me

freakin' amazing. A purse ! (or "cache" or whatever one wants to call it). And for the crowning glory, you go back to the site and find a few straggler gold coins separately. Sheesk. This is the hole in one / Holy Grail of all md'ing. Other md'rs will now call you "sir". And you can autograph other's detectors.

Looking back at your post history, I see you are from CA. This confirms our suspicions that they were found out west . (Who needs those pesky LC's, colonial coppers, and busts from back east anyhow ? :laughing: )

As for the nuggets in with the coins: Have you watched Ron (Rocklin CA) videos ? ("California Relic Adventures" @ youtube). He had a find, before he started making live video captures, from about 15+ yrs. ago, in the Folsom/Auburn, CA area: So although it's not on a video, I'm sure you can find a post or pix of it: He got a signal at the base of a rock/boulder outcropping. He found about a dozen coins, that had apparently , at one time, been a leather or cloth purse (there was a metal clasp of the purse left, if I recall). They were all gold rush era seateds, and a single gold coin (a $5, if I recall). And, like your story, he noticed what appeared to be gold nuggets. He collected all the dirt, and went through the tailing with a nugget detector. And got a bunch of nuggets to go with the coins. A miner who had his purse of both nuggets and coins.

I'm ~3+ hrs. from the Sierra foothills. So I don't get over that way very often for relic hunting. But whenever I have (Snelling to Mariposa corridor) it's always been TOUGH work. There is indescribable amounts of iron and slag around all the gold rush tent-city and stage stop and cellar holes type spots. And coins are very difficult to pull. Much less gold coins. And MUCH LESS GOLD COIN CACHES. Big hats off to you !

This was a gold rush location in Amador County. I grew up there and watched my dad dig an intact bottle from the foundation as a kid. Decided to go back.

$2.5’s- 1843-O, 1847-C, 2-1856-S, 1854-Philly. Last one might be wrong date. I don’t it on my list

$5’s-1852-philly, 1855-S, 1856-S, 1852 British sovereign-?, 20 Franc-1811-Paris/A, I don’t have the last one in front of me .....

What ?? No coins older than 1700 ? The east coast guys are bored now. :laughing:

So the NEWEST coin was mid 1850s. That was a sort of "peak" of the gold rush date-era. This is going to go down as one of the legendary finds of the forum.

This find continues to amaze me and everyone else...and should be a lesson to any naysayers who think there’s “nothing left”. What did gold and silver miners do back in the day? They mapped,they surmised,they plotted...they thought about where those things might be and went and searched. We are really no different then our ore seeking predecessors,we want the same thing...albeit in a different more pure form with dates and mintmarks which potentially change the overall value. We are all seekers...adventurers...miners....historians...all of us accumulating equipment,knowledge and outright skill in hopes of recovering a find of a lifetime like this.
OP-How does “The Count of ______ County” sound? ;) I’ll really be pumped when I find that next Merc,thanks a bunch!:lol:

Moving this to EYE POPPING where your initial thread is.

This is almost as amazing as all those cans of gold coins found a few years back!

HUGE Congratz!!!

What ?? No coins older than 1700 ? The east coast guys are bored now. :laughing:

So the NEWEST coin was mid 1850s. That was a sort of "peak" of the gold rush date-era. This is going to go down as one of the legendary finds of the forum.

I have gone back to the hole 4 times now and each time it gave me something new. Sounds kinda dirty. First time 1 coin. Second a can with coins. Third another $5. 4th nuggets and flakes. I have major EMI interference at this site so give me a break. Lesson here is if something incredible comes out it is time to excavate and pinpoint.

Moving this to EYE POPPING where your initial thread is.

This is almost as amazing as all those cans of gold coins found a few years back!

HUGE Congratz!!!

Ron,

Can you delete my original post to avoid confusion? I was hesitant to post the entire find at first.

I have gone back to the hole 4 times now and each time it gave me something new. Sounds kinda dirty. First time 1 coin. Second a can with coins. Third another $5. 4th nuggets and flakes. I have major EMI interference at this site so give me a break. Lesson here is if something incredible comes out it is time to excavate and pinpoint.

Every time I’ve gone “back to a hole” it’s always TAKEN something. You got a lucky one!:lol:

Back
Top Bottom