Anyone Know How to Change a 6 to a 4???

AirmetTango

Forum Supporter
I went back out to my new farm house permission again for a short time on Friday. It was hotter than the first hunt, so I initially decided to stay in shady areas even though the shade was mostly in lower traffic areas. It showed in my finds for the first 90 minutes - a lot more trash! But I still managed a couple of late model Wheats (both '55D), a cool brass sunflower button, a watch/clock gear, and an odd doodad with an inlay that appears to be silver.

About that time the farmer pulled in, and we chatted for almost 30 minutes about all kinds of stuff, but he also gave me a more detailed run down of what he knew about where stuff used to be on the property in his Granddad's day. Awesome info - including that there used to be a gazebo and an outdoor brick oven in the northwest corner of the property! I only had about 20 minutes left to hunt, and that area was in the blazing sun, but I didn't care - I bee-lined right over to that section!

I didn't have my coil swinging again for more than 3 minutes, and I got a solid 81, all directions with the right depth sound on the proportional audio...pinpoint said 6" down. Cut the plug, turned it over, and silver flipped right out with it - probably only about 5" down. At first I thought it was a Rosie, but then I could make out the fasces on the back that confirmed it was another Merc! Cleaned up as a slightly worn 1919 :cool:

Within 5' of where I dug the Merc, I hit another solid high tone signal, but lower numbers 76-79, occasional hit at 80-81, indicating 6" again. Digging the plug, I had to search a bit to find the coin - it was darkened and dirt encrusted, but still clearly silver. Unfortunately, it also had a distinct "banana" curve - somehow the coin got bent before or after it was lost. It was clearly a dime, but fresh out of the hole it was hard to figure out what kind, other than that I could just barely make out "One Dime" in the center of the back. Woohoo - a Barber...or maybe a Seated?? I was psyched up, either way!! As the dirt dried on the coin, I could definitely see Lady Liberty start to appear through the crud - and she was definitely sitting down! Simply awesome!!

I had to wrap the hunt up soon after that and get home for my daughter's bus...she wasn't nearly as thrilled as I was to clean dirty coins in the sink, so she did her homework while I set to work cleaning up my finds, saving the "best" for last. When I got to the Seated and started gently rinsing it down, I was a little disappointed to see almost immediately that in addition to the bend (and maybe because of it?), the coin didn't fare very well underground. There was clearly a lot of detail left on the coin when it was dropped - but the silver itself seems like it was reacting with something in the soil, leaving the coin with almost a sandpaper feel to it. But then as I continued to gently clean the coin, I saw the mint mark...CC! I swear my heart stuttered for a split second - I don't know Seated dimes very well, but I know Carson City mint marks are unusual! The date on the front is clear...1876. Well, it didn't take long for me to learn that I missed my Once In A Lifetime find by 2 years! It's probably just as well - in it's condition, the coin is pretty much worthless regardless of the date :roll: I probably would have lost my mind to find an 1874 CC and have it be worthless due to all the damage! Still it's a Seated, and it's mine :D

It's interesting to note that not only is the coin bent, but it's also enlarged - the diameter is probably about 2mm larger than it should be. So whatever bent it, apparently crushed it a little also. Kinda makes me wonder what happened to it - trampled by a horse?? Wagon wheel? We'll never know, but fun to speculate :grin:

Attachments

• A908D11D-0A6F-42F7-B9F9-EA806526790C.jpg
    A908D11D-0A6F-42F7-B9F9-EA806526790C.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 589
  • 3DFD2898-7856-41FE-B284-FC31505FFD7C.jpg
    3DFD2898-7856-41FE-B284-FC31505FFD7C.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 556
  • 1552FF98-843D-458E-B541-0CF57EF41B71.jpg
    1552FF98-843D-458E-B541-0CF57EF41B71.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 582
  • 49435D1D-70B6-4209-A564-2E9379B4C301.jpg
    49435D1D-70B6-4209-A564-2E9379B4C301.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 602
  • 92881BEA-CF6F-4A7A-A556-03F6E8F8321C.jpg
    92881BEA-CF6F-4A7A-A556-03F6E8F8321C.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 613
  • 24AED2F6-9F91-49E0-A502-F54125060CD7.jpg
    24AED2F6-9F91-49E0-A502-F54125060CD7.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 556
  • 15E050CB-DC3E-4D48-9038-2BBAD88A0C82.jpg
    15E050CB-DC3E-4D48-9038-2BBAD88A0C82.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 570
  • 8F122A24-9C22-43FE-9F72-89F10C336311.jpg
    8F122A24-9C22-43FE-9F72-89F10C336311.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 551
Last edited:
Wow, some great finds! Maybe that dime was in a fire? I'd love to find one of those.

The Seated Dime was definitely in a fire at one point...it's a excellent dig regardless of the condition. Congrats on it, the Merc and the rest of the finds!

I like that dime, maybe it got dropped in the outdoor oven or it was on the ground by the oven and they dumped hot coals on it cleaning out the oven. Yes it's fun to speculate. Great find that's for sure, hopefully you go back and get more. GL.

This permission is looking better yet! 1870's with a CC mint mark is awesome. Tap that coin flat with a hammer, and run it through one of those squishy penny machines. :shock: It would definitely be one of a kind!
Naw, really that's just one of those great finds with lots of character.

Wow, some great finds! Maybe that dime was in a fire? I'd love to find one of those.

I always liked the look of melted coins, nice finds!

Outstanding! Man! You sure got into some nice old Black Swamp dirt! That Seated my have been through a fire?

The Seated Dime was definitely in a fire at one point...it's a excellent dig regardless of the condition. Congrats on it, the Merc and the rest of the finds!

Thanks NC, cellr, Mud, and Capt S! I'd call that a concensus! I hadn't even thought of a fire, but that certainly explains the odd condition of the silver, and the change in shape/size without any other apparent damage...a horse hoof, wagon wheel, or even lawn mower would have left an impact mark and other more obvious damage for sure. Makes me wonder now - like I said, the existing house was definitely built in 1916...the farmer has the original plans. But the older 1886 map shows a house on the site but offset slightly north according to an overlay to Google Earth. Maybe the existing house was built because the other burned?? The farmer's dad is still alive and probably in his 80s...I bet he might know!

I like that dime, maybe it got dropped in the outdoor oven or it was on the ground by the oven and they dumped hot coals on it cleaning out the oven. Yes it's fun to speculate. Great find that's for sure, hopefully you go back and get more. GL.

Thanks Pirate! I like it too...lots of character, and maybe tells a story about the home! That's an interesting possibility too - excellent speculation to tie in the oven that was in the area! That certainly would be a happier alternative to a house fire or similar catastrophe. Can't wait to continue hunting there!

Maybe you can bend it back a little between two pieces of hard thick plastic and a vice or hammer?
SWEET. COIN!

Thanks, metaladdict! I was originally thinking the same thing, but now that the consensus is that the coin was likely partially melted, I like the character and site history that was literally burned into the coin...I'll leave this one as is :yes:

This permission is looking better yet! 1870's with a CC mint mark is awesome. Tap that coin flat with a hammer, and run it through one of those squishy penny machines. :shock: It would definitely be one of a kind!
Naw, really that's just one of those great finds with lots of character.

Yeah it is...loving the looks of this permission!! Hey, I could send it through the squishy machine and send it to Mud to give to his wife...way better to have a squishy Seated than those dang squished coopers & zincolns she's collecting now :lol:

But no...now that I see that the consensus is some sort of fire, I like the character and tie to the site that coin has now - like the coin is now permanently imprinted with the history of the home site :yes:

CC - :wow2: Nice!!!!!

Thanks, Dan! I was amazed to see that mint mark pop out as I rinsed it in the sink...one of those bitter/sweet moments, knowing the CC ordinarily meant a higher value, but also knowing it was meaningless with the overall condition of the coin. No worries, I love the coin and the history it represents all the same :grin:

Nice finds.
Thanks for sharing.

Thanks, TNSS! Thanks for looking!

Amazing finds! Congrats on the seated and the Merc! You've got yourself quite a spot now!

Thanks, Waveoff - I'm definitely looking forward to hunting it some more! Not just one great spot, but potentially several nice locations. Once the crops are harvested, I can get into his fields, and no telling what might be there :grin: More importantly, he's a genuinely nice guy - I'm actually developing a real friendship with him. Gotta love this hobby :yes:

My opinion, other than a light cleaning, I'd leave it like it is. It has definitely suffered some stress and damage over the years leaving it quite unique. It may develop a crack or two if squished flat and that would be a sad loss.

Excellent story and great finds...congrats.

Good pix. Good play-by-play.

Thanks, DN and Tom! It's almost as much fun to share the experience here as it is to make the finds - glad you enjoyed!

Man that's awesome congrats, I would love to find a seated! :cool:

Thanks Irons! I've been fortunate to find 2 so far this year - great feeling each time one come up :cool:

My opinion, other than a light cleaning, I'd leave it like it is. It has definitely suffered some stress and damage over the years leaving it quite unique. It may develop a crack or two if squished flat and that would be a sad loss.

Yes, I definitely agree - I'm very happy with the coin just the way it is. Whether it was in a fire or affected by hot coals from the oven, it's been permanently imprinted by past activities at the home, giving it unique character and a history all it's own.

Back
Top Bottom