My first Large Cent!

marcus118

Forum Supporter
Dug my first large cent yesterday! I can't see the date but I think its a Coronet so 1816-1839. I'd really love to clean this up to maybe see the actual date. Any tips? I've already done some toothpicking and tried some Vaseline with q-tips without much success. Thanks!

This photo is from before my initial cleaning:
07.02.2022-20.20.jpg

Beauty! I imagine it is what it is (more cleaning will just remove detail, I suppose), but I'm going to leave it to Tom to tell you otherwise. Tom digs large cent every ten years and I am sure has learned the best processes!

I could be wrong but I think I see 1816,
Not sure about a cleaning method, all the largies I’ve found have been very toasty.
Congrats on the find!

I could be wrong but I think I see 1816,
Not sure about a cleaning method, all the largies I’ve found have been very toasty.
Congrats on the find!

I do think the last number is 6. The third is either a 1 or 3 - so hard to see. i'm leaning toward 3 tho. so 1836 i think.

Congrats! Having dug more than a few of them I'll say toothpicks is about it. The fine details will vanish if you get aggressive. I'd stop now, coppers unfortunately just wear away.

Dumb question since you have been on here since '08, but have you tried side lighting with a flashlight and a magnifying glass?

I do think the last number is 6. The third is either a 1 or 3 - so hard to see. i'm leaning toward 3 tho. so 1836 i think.

If we're assuming the last digit is a 6, and I think it is, then it isn't 1836. Make note the weak chin. That's the pre-1836 design. She received a face lift in 1836 prior to the braided hair redesign in 1839. That leaves either 1826 or 1816 and the gap between the second and third digits looks consistent with 1816.

Nice find. I was hoping you were going to say you found it in Idaho so I could feel I had a chance. Congrats though.

So you're saying there's a chance.

It's one of those finds that you'll never forget exactly where you found it :)

BTW- I sharpened the image, and it also looks like 1816 to me. Plus, what ToySoldier said.

Dumb question since you have been on here since '08, but have you tried side lighting with a flashlight and a magnifying glass?

Yep I've looked at just about every angle too lol. Sometimes I swear it looks like a 3, other times 1. The photo I posted definitely looks like a 1. It's funny because those numbers don't look anything alike.

If we're assuming the last digit is a 6, and I think it is, then it isn't 1836. Make note the weak chin. That's the pre-1836 design. She received a face lift in 1836 prior to the braided hair redesign in 1839. That leaves either 1826 or 1816 and the gap between the second and third digits looks consistent with 1816.

Ah thank you! That's a great point. I see the chin in 1837 onward is much more tucked. The 1816 chin looks much more like mine.

Judging from the picture, I'd say it's as good as it's going to get. Most of my large cents are toasted beyond hope so i just leave them alone.

1816?

I see 1816 also but eyes can play tricks. Try taking pic with side lighting to create shadows and the change photo to black and white. You can adjust the contrast and brightness. Eliminating the color reduces distractions. Works for me sometimes. Couldn't see many details on this old token in original pic.

Attachments

• IMG_5374.jpg
    IMG_5374.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 467
Thanks again everyone. The more I look at this at different angles and under good light and with a loupe, I'm pretty certain it's an 1816. :cool3:

Back
Top Bottom