Friendly Metal Detecting Forums

Friendly Metal Detecting Forums (https://metaldetectingforum.com/index.php)
-   General Hobby Discussion (https://metaldetectingforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   This will make you throw up... (https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=281287)

ollievon 03-24-2020 10:39 AM

This will make you throw up...
 
3 Attachment(s)
So, with the current situation with the virus I was able to get out of work early last week as spring has finally arrived in upstate NY. I received a permission late last year for a farm field with a house from about the 1850's, so it looked promising. The issue was that the corn had not been cut until very late, and by then it was just far too cold and the snow had started falling, so I decided to wait until spring.

I headed out excited I was going to hit a virgin field and had no idea what to expect. When I arrived I noticed that the owner had clear cut a lot of the brush around the barn area and was replacing roofs on some of the buildings, I also noticed that a contractor was there checking out the buildings when I parked. I went to introduce myself in case he was wondering who I was and what I was doing in the fields, as I approached I noticed that his utility belt was holding an orange Garrett pinpointer...uh-oh, clearly this was not just my permission...drats.

The guy was really nice and we talked about both having a permission, they too had not hit the spot before and we agreed that more the merrier - that's what I do love about this hobby, not too many jerks. I also noticed that he had a NOX and a Minelab Vanquish, and had only been detecting for a year, I've been at this for 20+ years so I felt I had the upper hand at knowing my tones, versus a newbie.

The field was littered with broken blue plate and old, REALLY OLD, bottle shards everywhere, it was nuts. It was also super noisy with iron and whatever else, it was really hard to get a lock on anything - I was using my ML Explorer SE Pro, which has been a pretty solid machine for me, but not this time.

The guy decided to go with the Vanquish just to see what it could do, and the machine KILLED IT, I mean the descrimination was off the charts - he locked on to at least 4 coppers in the first 20 minutes...me zilch. To be honest it was killing me...then all of a sudden he goes "I got silver!", and then asked me if I knew my coins since it did not look like a Reale, am I'm thinking "it's probably a dirty rosie, or maybe a seated or Merc"...but it wasn't...

No, friends what he found was a 1796 Draped Bust Dime...only 22,000 made and the starting price if identifiable starts at $2,500 per Red Book...I wanted to die. I all my years this was the White Whale, THE buckelister of bucketlisters!

I had to be honest with him give him a fist bump on the find, it will be probably be his best find ever. If I had not been there, I would not have believed it.

woodbutcher 03-24-2020 11:10 AM

Nice finds for sure! Could and probably is alot more there, I'd be killing it.lol. As for he vanquish, I know it's good. Really good.

KOB 03-24-2020 11:13 AM

Wow ! Crazy story. There must be more on that site. Stay persistent and your experience will pay off. Good Luck !

T-Man 03-24-2020 11:21 AM

That's amazing, hope you directed him to the forum.

LovestheShiny! 03-24-2020 11:28 AM

Amazing story, glad you got to see that Draped Bust Dime found, and I hope you are able to pull some real goodies yourself!

Oldsjunkie 03-24-2020 11:31 AM

Thanks, now I have to clean my keyboard...:shock::blink::blink::peckkey:

GKL 03-24-2020 11:41 AM

Congrats to him, but don't be discouraged, let it give you hope that there are other goodies out there to find on that property, maybe not as good, but hey, there just might be !

GroundSweeper 03-24-2020 11:46 AM

Ugh your a better man than me :lol: Id had told him it was a electrical knockout :laughing:

Id be sniffing every inch of that place as much as possible after that.

zeemang 03-24-2020 12:14 PM

Amazing spot man, I would be all over that place every chance I got...

Tom_in_CA 03-24-2020 12:54 PM

excellent story and excellent post ! Thanx for sharing. Nice bust coin !

Big Treble 03-24-2020 01:46 PM

Great story, and if you couldn't dig it yourself, at least you could see it dug.

Did he indicate he was going to quit his job and go full time detecting? LOL

Beachhunter 03-24-2020 02:10 PM

I would have been crushed. Lol! Now I want a Vanquish! Thanks a lot...

REAL_RAT_FINK 03-24-2020 02:21 PM

I feel for ya bro. I couldn't imagine what you just went through. Some other detectorist shows up out of the blue, joins your permission, is a newb, running hot of the shelf detector, and finds a find of a lifetime in front of your eyes. It would have been fine if it was a friend of yours hunting with you, but it's a total stranger. That sucks :(

Good news is, you always have tomorrow---- This should be motivation to you, to go and slay it next time!!

Skippy SH13 03-24-2020 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ollievon (Post 3205785)
So, with the current situation with the virus I was able to get out of work early last week as spring has finally arrived in upstate NY. I received a permission late last year for a farm field with a house from about the 1850's, so it looked promising. The issue was that the corn had not been cut until very late, and by then it was just far too cold and the snow had started falling, so I decided to wait until spring.

I headed out excited I was going to hit a virgin field and had no idea what to expect. When I arrived I noticed that the owner had clear cut a lot of the brush around the barn area and was replacing roofs on some of the buildings, I also noticed that a contractor was there checking out the buildings when I parked. I went to introduce myself in case he was wondering who I was and what I was doing in the fields, as I approached I noticed that his utility belt was holding an orange Garrett pinpointer...uh-oh, clearly this was not just my permission...drats.

The guy was really nice and we talked about both having a permission, they too had not hit the spot before and we agreed that more the merrier - that's what I do love about this hobby, not too many jerks. I also noticed that he had a NOX and a Minelab Vanquish, and had only been detecting for a year, I've been at this for 20+ years so I felt I had the upper hand at knowing my tones, versus a newbie.

The field was littered with broken blue plate and old, REALLY OLD, bottle shards everywhere, it was nuts. It was also super noisy with iron and whatever else, it was really hard to get a lock on anything - I was using my ML Explorer SE Pro, which has been a pretty solid machine for me, but not this time.

The guy decided to go with the Vanquish just to see what it could do, and the machine KILLED IT, I mean the descrimination was off the charts - he locked on to at least 4 coppers in the first 20 minutes...me zilch. To be honest it was killing me...then all of a sudden he goes "I got silver!", and then asked me if I knew my coins since it did not look like a Reale, am I'm thinking "it's probably a dirty rosie, or maybe a seated or Merc"...but it wasn't...

No, friends what he found was a 1796 Draped Bust Dime...only 22,000 made and the starting price if identifiable starts at $2,500 per Red Book...I wanted to die. I all my years this was the White Whale, THE buckelister of bucketlisters!

I had to be honest with him give him a fist bump on the find, it will be probably be his best find ever. If I had not been there, I would not have believed it.

Yeah, that would have made me sick...

Sorry that happened to you, but at least you got to see it!

jl1252 03-24-2020 03:02 PM

Holy Shamoly! Im green with envy looking at it through a computer screen; I can only imagine how you feel seeing it in person. Rest assured that theres more hiding at that site so get after it!!!

ollievon 03-24-2020 03:04 PM

At least the guy was polite and appreciative that I knew what it was...it's all for the love of the hobby in the end.

We shared numbers and he apparently has other permissions in the area (of which got me worried since I got a lot too around there...ugh!). I couldn't hate on the guy though, he was clearly having fun and getting a passion for hobby.

Oh, I forgot to add, about 30 minutes later he nailed an 1864 2 cent piece that was in the best shape one could be in, incredible green patina.

It was at that point I got in my truck and drove to the closest liquor store.

PrussianBleu 03-24-2020 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ollievon (Post 3205890)
At least the guy was polite and appreciative that I knew what it was...it's all for the love of the hobby in the end.

We shared numbers and he apparently has other permissions in the area (of which got me worried since I got a lot too around there...ugh!). I couldn't hate on the guy though, he was clearly having fun and getting a passion for hobby.

Oh, I forgot to add, about 30 minutes later he nailed an 1864 2 cent piece that was in the best shape one could be in, incredible green patina.

It was at that point I got in my truck and drove to the closest liquor store.

Good on you sir for being as nice as you were considering that the guy just got Draped Bust silver on your not-so-exclusive permission; it would have been a totally different matter had he scooped you intentionally or been a jack-a about it.

I will definitely mirror the sentiment that I've met very few jerks in this hobby (none as of yet) which is definitely a huge step up over many communities.

Hopefully he can get you on some other permissions of his as a consolation!

Swing4TheRing 03-24-2020 04:42 PM

Well... don't give up... there's gotta be more!!

CarsonChris 03-24-2020 04:52 PM

Awesome hunt story! Good luck on your next visit there!

ToySoldier 03-24-2020 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ollievon (Post 3205785)
............It was also super noisy with iron and whatever else, it was really hard to get a lock on anything - I was using my ML Explorer SE Pro, which has been a pretty solid machine for me, but not this time...............

I've only been experimenting with an Explorer II for a month, and I'm sure a few more years of experience might be what I need, but have been swinging it over a wide variety of dirt. I've been doing a lot of side by side comparison over targets before they're dug. So far? The dirt that's super noisy with iron? I'm grabbing the Equinox. I can pick apart A LOT of signals, and very quickly, with it in those conditions.

Under other conditions, the Equinox can't touch the Explorer's ID capabilities, nor can it cut straight through modern trash to hit silver the way the Explorer can. (I can throw the Equinox into 5 kHz to hit some of those targets, but leaving it that way all the time falses high tones too often on mid-conductor trash.)

Anyway, there's got to me more. Get out there and use your experience and patience to grab some coins few other people can.

Tom_in_CA 03-24-2020 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ollievon (Post 3205785)
.... and the starting price if identifiable starts at $2,500 per Red Book.......

Look at the latest prices on the PCGS web-page. It's starting for more than that now. Nice score !

jimther 03-24-2020 06:05 PM

Your story about the newbie finding that rare coin reminds me of the time a few years ago, that during a member-only club hunt in an old apple orchard, one of our members, with only a couple years under his belt dug a 2 1/2 dollar Liberty Head gold coin. Beginner's luck, or a newbie digging everything ?

aeds151 03-24-2020 06:23 PM

Check the site again. Grab a Nox though.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chipk 03-24-2020 06:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I helped a guy get started and geared up. Two weeks later he calls me and is whispering in the phone so low I cant understand him. Turned out he was alone in a field but didnt want anybody to hear him. He then informs me he had just peed his pants.

????????????

He then tells me hes sending me pictures

???????????????????????????????????

Well when the pics arrived I understood. He had just found his second find.

An 1876 $20 DOUBLE EAGLE GOLD COIN.

Its been 4 years and I still hate him.

L0S3R 03-24-2020 09:47 PM

According to pcgs...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...ebf3fd8fd6.jpg


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

L0S3R 03-24-2020 09:48 PM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...72044e7cf8.jpg


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cellrdwellr 03-24-2020 09:49 PM

Oh my! What a find!!!

Foragist 03-26-2020 10:35 AM

That's harsh! I'm guessing that guy has pitched camp there by now. All the good finds have been "vanquished". :lol:
No, really; I put myself in your position for a moment, and my gut started cramping. :no:

dirt sniffer 03-29-2020 08:47 AM

I'd grab another machine and get back there if you can.

dirt dick 03-29-2020 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GroundSweeper (Post 3205821)
Ugh your a better man than me :lol: Id had told him it was a electrical knockout :laughing:

Id be sniffing every inch of that place as much as possible after that.

I don't know if I'd be sick,
or try to wrap a detector around the nearest tree or around his neck...:mad:

tinsmith 03-29-2020 01:13 PM

Wow, that just sickens me. And even worse the gold coin stories!!! Uuhgg. What I'm thinking is how some guys tell of a time when public parks still had many old coins. How they killed it in the 70's and 80's. When will we be saying that about private land? Permissions. What is the future for land hunters? Sure there's alot of land and sure are FBS detectors out there scooping it up. Better get out there folks! Of coarse I'm half kidding in this cynical babble. Have great fun out there The good skills required now are finding such locations rather than a setting on a machine. HH all.

Tom_in_CA 03-29-2020 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier (Post 3205936)
I've only been experimenting with an Explorer II for a month, and I'm sure a few more years of experience might be what I need, but have been swinging it over a wide variety of dirt. I've been doing a lot of side by side comparison over targets before they're dug. So far? The dirt that's super noisy with iron? I'm grabbing the Equinox. I can pick apart A LOT of signals, and very quickly, with it in those conditions.

Under other conditions, the Equinox can't touch the Explorer's ID capabilities, nor can it cut straight through modern trash to hit silver the way the Explorer can. (I can throw the Equinox into 5 kHz to hit some of those targets, but leaving it that way all the time falses high tones too often on mid-conductor trash.)

Anyway, there's got to me more. Get out there and use your experience and patience to grab some coins few other people can.


Excellent post. Yes there's machines that are better for seeing through-&-around iron. But you're right : Nothing can touch the Exp. II for silver in junky turf .

Tom_in_CA 03-29-2020 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinsmith (Post 3207481)
.... How they killed it in the 70's and 80's. .....

I realize there was some "forward thinking" individuals who A) had the latest-greatest machines of that era, and B) Had the foresight to go to hair-raising virgin sites . Thus , yes, you hear occasional stories of the "first ones to hit New York's old town parks, and dig so-many IH's that they got sick of them. Or the first persons who ever hit at the base of concession stands, and/or underneath carnival rides, etc.....

But believe it or not, the vast majority of hunters in the 1970s and '80s were simply plying the school yards for common silver. I distinctly recall (as a teenager in the 1970s) being happy to come home with a silver dime or two. And despite my area being "filled with virgin sites" at the time (stage stops that no one had ever hit), yet .... we simply didn't have that mind-set. Perhaps some others did. But the vast majority of people I saw/met, were simply angling for silver roosies, mercs, washingtons, etc....

When I look back on it, I KICK MYSELF for not having gotten hard-core, back when no one else was doing it. I even recall going to a certain stage stop area, and digging several rimfires, lead-globs, a pistol ball, etc.... And thinking "this sucks". (Because I hadn't immediately bagged any coins). So I quit the spot, and went into town to hunt the school yard (where I could be assured to get a silver dime, if I wanted). It wasn't till ~20 yrs. later (after I'd progressed through the ranks to hardcore) that I returned to the site, and spent hours dealing with those pesky rimfires, pistol balls, etc.... that I began to get reales and early seateds.

And even those persons who had "wised up" and were hunting virgin ghost towns back then in the late 1960s to mid 1970s: Don't forget that they were swinging dinosaurs. So ... a typical day might be a single seated dime or whatever. Because they struggled to get a few inches deep, and had no form of disc, etc.... Then 30 yrs. later, the tallies are STILL THE SAME AT THE SAME SPOTS : you "struggle to get a single seated". Doh !

tinsmith 03-30-2020 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA (Post 3207530)
I realize there was some "forward thinking" individuals who A) had the latest-greatest machines of that era, and B) Had the foresight to go to hair-raising virgin sites . Thus , yes, you hear occasional stories of the "first ones to hit New York's old town parks, and dig so-many IH's that they got sick of them. Or the first persons who ever hit at the base of concession stands, and/or underneath carnival rides, etc.....

But believe it or not, the vast majority of hunters in the 1970s and '80s were simply plying the school yards for common silver. I distinctly recall (as a teenager in the 1970s) being happy to come home with a silver dime or two. And despite my area being "filled with virgin sites" at the time (stage stops that no one had ever hit), yet .... we simply didn't have that mind-set. Perhaps some others did. But the vast majority of people I saw/met, were simply angling for silver roosies, mercs, washingtons, etc....

When I look back on it, I KICK MYSELF for not having gotten hard-core, back when no one else was doing it. I even recall going to a certain stage stop area, and digging several rimfires, lead-globs, a pistol ball, etc.... And thinking "this sucks". (Because I hadn't immediately bagged any coins). So I quit the spot, and went into town to hunt the school yard (where I could be assured to get a silver dime, if I wanted). It wasn't till ~20 yrs. later (after I'd progressed through the ranks to hardcore) that I returned to the site, and spent hours dealing with those pesky rimfires, pistol balls, etc.... that I began to get reales and early seateds.

And even those persons who had "wised up" and were hunting virgin ghost towns back then in the late 1960s to mid 1970s: Don't forget that they were swinging dinosaurs. So ... a typical day might be a single seated dime or whatever. Because they struggled to get a few inches deep, and had no form of disc, etc.... Then 30 yrs. later, the tallies are STILL THE SAME AT THE SAME SPOTS : you "struggle to get a single seated". Doh !

Thanks for clarifying that Tom.

czkidd 03-30-2020 07:51 AM

Get a DEUS. Cuts through iron very well. Just got one myself. Sold my Equi 800( very good machine) after my first outing with the DEUS. Have pulled up a lot of goodies with the Deus, I went over with the Equi. I would have kept the equi, but my ears could not adjust to the tones.

Fredneck 03-31-2020 08:13 PM

Dug that same coin, my avatar, and was told only about 800 known to exist. Point being, I've dug some great coins and relics at that site after that find, 2 killer Seated just this year. So really its just getting started, get after it and good luck.

maxxkatt 04-01-2020 12:01 PM

kind of like the story in UK where guy buys a entry level detector and on his first hunt digs a large cache of old coins worth a fortune. Made all the experienced guys a little ill. They even featured this or one like in in the TV series "The Detectorists". Lance and Andy were sick when they heard about it on TV.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.