Friendly Metal Detecting Forums

Friendly Metal Detecting Forums (https://metaldetectingforum.com/index.php)
-   Metal Detector Accessories (https://metaldetectingforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Equinox goodies (https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=290059)

aj0421 04-28-2021 06:19 PM

Equinox goodies

3 Attachment(s)
Having just got my new equinox and investing a good amount of money I made a couple little purchases to protect my detector and make it a little more comfortable. I found these both on fleabay after seeing a video on YouTube. The cover says made in USA the neoprene arm cuff padding I am not sure of but they both came from the same seller. I hope I am not violating any forum rules just wanted to post these items for anybody looking to protect their detector. I am in no way affiliated with the seller. The fit and finish are very nice and I like the plastic screen cover, it reminds me of the Vanquish.

Metal detecto 04-28-2021 06:53 PM

Looks good! I'm not a big "control box cover fan..." Are they absolutely needed?

aj0421 04-28-2021 07:02 PM

Not needed, I just like to keep my stuff looking nice.

stetam 04-28-2021 07:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by aj0421 (Post 3310555)

I have both of them also, and a charging port cover which I recommend. The cover needs to be tied so you don't lose it though.

aj0421 04-28-2021 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stetam (Post 3310557)
I have both of them also, and a charging port cover which I recommend. The cover needs to be tied so you don't lose it though.

Good to know. I may have to pick one of those up as well.

graybeard 04-29-2021 08:27 AM

One drawback with the cover, is they will overheat with them on if you hunt when it is hot out. The Equinox overheats with a cover on them.

aj0421 04-29-2021 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graybeard (Post 3310678)
One drawback with the cover, is they will overheat with them on if you hunt when it is hot out. The Equinox overheats with a cover on them.

Thanks, I will keep that in mind when I venture out into the heat.

basstrackerman 04-29-2021 09:34 PM

Quote:

Yes they do. Mine did several times on the beaches here at home. I took cover off and it never overheated again. I no longer use them.

aj0421 04-30-2021 08:32 AM

Thanks for the heads up. If I experience any overheating I will put some holes it the cloth material to see if it helps.

DiggingThePNW 04-30-2021 12:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I havenít experienced any overheating but havenít detected over 90f probably. That cover is gonna save that screen and or screen cover and overall the whole head unit a ton of abuse. I also have the charging cover as well and it does keep that free of any buildup and such.
Attachment 483942

AirmetTango 04-30-2021 10:57 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by basstrackerman (Post 3310857)
Yes they do. Mine did several times on the beaches here at home. I took cover off and it never overheated again. I no longer use them.

Yep, absolutely...I stopped using dust covers on my Equinox a couple years ago. It was impossible to hunt in direct sun on a hot day without having the display go belly up if a dust cover was used. Once I stopped using it, I've never had a problem since.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aj0421 (Post 3310934)
Thanks for the heads up. If I experience any overheating I will put some holes it the cloth material to see if it helps.

In my experience, holes won't help. Here's my thread from a couple years ago when I tried popping a bunch of eyelets into my cover to serve as vent holes:

Equinox In The Sun w/Aftermarket Dust Cover

The vent holes failed miserably - they literally didn't do a lick of good. Instead, I'm now using Tony Hunt's (Detecting Innovations) excellent vinyl keypad stickers to protect the face, and a 3D printed rubberized plastic bumper that serves as impact protection - it's never overheated using this setup.

JoeKeeling 04-30-2021 11:36 PM

Looks really nice buddy [emoji106]. So now that you've had a chance to swing it a little what do you think of the arm cuff padding? Is it easy to take on and off ais it washable?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

fullbattery 05-01-2021 12:27 AM

AirmetTango, tell us about the protective cover for the coil wire connector shown in picture 3 above. I've been covering the connector with a balloon when not attached.

JimR_TN 05-01-2021 01:59 AM

I've been using the same cover as aj0421 for almost a year and really like it. It makes cleaning muddy fingerprints so much easier. Never had trouble in the heat, but then again I probably overheated before the Nox in the 90+ degree weather.

Diabolik 05-01-2021 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeKeeling (Post 3311200)
Looks really nice buddy [emoji106]. So now that you've had a chance to swing it a little what do you think of the arm cuff padding? Is it easy to take on and off ais it washable?

I have the same cover and have been running it for a few months. I really like it. Yes, you can remove it fairly easily. Mine never gets that muddy so I usually spray it down with some Simple Green and just wipe it down. Same thing with the control box cover.

aj0421 05-01-2021 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeKeeling (Post 3311200)

Hello JoeKeeling, I only tried it in front of my house for a few mins. It is better than nothing I believe and less than $20 I thought it was worth a try. I will post back after I have a few straight hours on it. It goes off and on very easy because it is only about a 1/8 thick and stretches. Washable I am not sure of, maybe just a good hand wash and let dry. I don't know if you fish but I would treat it just as I do with my stocking foot fishing waders which the booties are made of the same material. I rinse them from the salt water and sand and just let them air dry over my bathroom tub.

Pete e 05-04-2021 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stetam (Post 3310557)

I have a charging port cover, but it lacks that little attachment point, which is an excellent idea....

I also use a control box cover but over heating issues is not something I am likely to expirience here in the UK. :roll:

JimR_TN 06-09-2021 10:18 PM

Update - I've been using this cover for a year and on Memorial Day I noticed my display looked odd, a bit dark at the bottom and I could barely make out the settings icons. But I wasn't pressing the settings button! I took the cover off and the display returned to normal.

I'm pretty sure this was overheating. It was hot, the same day I sweated so much I ended up with severe leg cramps even though I was drinking.

Shame, I really liked the way it kept my pod clean on the muddy days.

MuddyMo 06-09-2021 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aj0421 (Post 3310555)

Your not one of these guys thaat uses clear vinyl furniture covers are you? 😁

Pete e 06-10-2021 06:09 PM

Quote:

Despite my earlier post, I had this happen the other day..the clear plastic part of the cover acted like a mini green house and heated the control unit to the point the display started to fade..once I removed the cover, the display returned to normal within a few minutes...