Friendly Metal Detecting Forums

Friendly Metal Detecting Forums (https://metaldetectingforum.com/index.php)
-   Caches, Old Bottles, and other Treasures (https://metaldetectingforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Did the FBI steal the Gold? Anyone know these guys? (https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=296218)

Pete e 05-11-2022 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidlhyde63366 (Post 3392516)
Good article on some of the German treasure recovered and what was not you might like https://historyofyesterday.com/what-...e-881cad469704 should be good for some discussions , and a lot of poo-pooing by Tom :laughing:

I have often wondered how many soldiers managed to steal say two or three bars of gold when these vast amounts of gold were being moved around towards the end of WW2?

I wonder how easy it would be have been for a GI or Tommy to smuggle back a couple of bars in their personal kit? Or for German soldiers to have hidden a few bars with the intention of returning once the war was over?

davidlhyde63366 05-11-2022 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete e (Post 3392520)
I have often wondered how many soldiers managed to steal say two or three bars of gold when these vast amounts of gold were being moved around towards the end of WW2?

I wonder how easy it would be have been for a GI or Tommy to smuggle back a couple of bars in their personal kit? Or for German soldiers to have hidden a few bars with the intention of returning once the war was over?

There would of been lots of gold and silver coins and relics stole as well which could of slipped in a back pack.

SeabeeRon 05-11-2022 06:36 PM

This thread was started asking about Dentís Run, then Oak Island came into and now it seems any Treasure Fantasy is fair game.

Maybe I should edit the thread title?!?

davidlhyde63366 05-11-2022 06:43 PM

Dents run
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SeabeeRon (Post 3392523)
This thread was started asking about Dentís Run, then Oak Island came into and now it seems any Treasure Fantasy is fair game.

Maybe I should edit the thread title?!?

hasn't been any new updates on Dents run lately , know i have been waiting for some of those Government documents to be released and made public.

Pete e 05-11-2022 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterG7 (Post 3392518)
Josh Gates season premiere is about Nazi gold??? Just maybe somebody found something

The last time I remember him doing an episode on this, at one point it showed him and his guide racing across country on quads..The trouble was that from the drone shots it was obvious they were driving around some sort of quad/off road track lol

Still, I don't mind Gates as he doesn't take himself or his investigations too serious....

FreeBirdTim 05-11-2022 09:48 PM

Quote:

hasn't been any new updates on Dents run lately , know i have been waiting for some of those Government documents to be released and made public.
There are no documents to be released. Nothing was ever found. It's just a tall tale. These guys need to get a life and find another potential souce of revenue.

Soil Surgeon 05-11-2022 09:51 PM

Here's another treasure story.




https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...6815b9527406a4

davidlhyde63366 05-11-2022 10:03 PM

Dent run FBI records
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeBirdTim (Post 3392590)
There are no documents to be released. Nothing was ever found. It's just a tall tale. These guys need to get a life and find another potential souce of revenue.

referring to the records the judge ordered the FBI to release , must be some or he wouldn't have ordered it. https://wesb.com/2022/04/19/judge-or...old-documents/

Tom_in_CA 05-11-2022 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeBirdTim (Post 3392590)
There are no documents to be released. Nothing was ever found. It's just a tall tale. ....


Quote:

Originally Posted by davidlhyde63366 (Post 3392595)
referring to the records the judge ordered the FBI to release , must be some or he wouldn't have ordered it. https://wesb.com/2022/04/19/judge-or...old-documents/

Well yes & no. There might be "documents to be released" (as Dave says). But the documents won't prove a treasure (as free-bird-Tim says).

Documents will just continue to reflect that : "There's no treasure" :roll:

And mark my words : F.K. will just scream: "Whitewashed, redacted, doctored, scrubbed", etc... No amount of evidence that nothing was there, will satisfy him. All the evidence that shows nothing was there, is nothing other than the nice-clean job that the FBI did on covering the conspiracy.

Thus, ironically, the less evidence, is : The MORE EVIDENCE ! :shock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rvbg_ezlEks&t=2s

Tom_in_CA 05-11-2022 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soil Surgeon (Post 3392591)

Well at least that one adds the word "Thinks...." to their headline.

I'll bet that title was chosen by the news-source authors/editors. But I'll bet that the treasure hunters themselves are using the word "found" instead of "think we found".

FreeBirdTim 05-12-2022 09:18 AM

Quote:

referring to the records the judge ordered the FBI to release , must be some or he wouldn't have ordered it.
Here's what the documents from the FBI will state (if there's any actual documents):

"We didn't find anything. There is no gold, no silver, no Indian skeleton in a cave, nada, nothing, zero, zip."

Of course, these paranoid and delusional guys will say it's a coverup or a conspiracy and keep telling this tall tale until the day they die. Pathetic and sad, actually.

ManInTheWaLL 05-12-2022 11:41 AM

Some of you guys need to track down the $200,000 that DB Cooper jumped out of the plane with.

in 1980 a young boy found a rotting package full of twenty-dollar bills ($5,800 in all) that matched the ransom money serial numbers. So the "Treasure" is out there somewhere.

Tom_in_CA 05-12-2022 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ManInTheWaLL (Post 3392691)
....So the "Treasure" is out there somewhere.

Why necessarily this conclusion in that story ? Because here's 2 other plausible outcomes :

1) D.B. Cooper survived the parachute jump, left only some of the $$ there, and hiked off with the rest. And spent it elsewhere. Hence : "no treasure out there" now.

2) Other person(s) before, or after, the kid, likewise found $$. And DIDN'T run to alert the authorities. And instead : Spent it elsewhere. Hence: "no treasure out there" now.

But notice that the instinct in stories like this (and all the others) is to mentally bypass other explanations. This is our inborn nature to want to believe-so-hard (lest you be laughed at all the way to the bank).

For example, your conclusion was NOT that it "might" still be there. Your conclusion was that it WAS still there. This is because when it comes to treasure, we all subconsciously put critical thinking aside. And ... everything gets interpreted around "Fabulous treasure" instead.

davidlhyde63366 05-12-2022 01:36 PM

German treasure
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Soil Surgeon (Post 3392591)

Even if it turns out no treasure is there ,definably a fascinating story from world war 2 . Love World War 2 history

Cfmct 05-12-2022 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeabeeRon (Post 3392523)
This thread was started asking about Dentís Run, then Oak Island came into and now it seems any Treasure Fantasy is fair game.

Maybe I should edit the thread title?!?

Yeah... Rename it fake news :laughing:

KOB 05-12-2022 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeabeeRon (Post 3392523)
This thread was started asking about Dentís Run, then Oak Island came into and now it seems any Treasure Fantasy is fair game.

Maybe I should edit the thread title?!?

Not just yet , I got another. A couple weeks ago a series came up about "Lost Aztec Gold". I thought oh great , this should be good ! 1st episode looked promising as a couple of guys are on their search in the desert looking for areas of "red" dirt from a map and where a relative of some old guy in the past described where he found a gold bar in some cave. Episode 2 and these guys who have been searching for 20+ years find this large red pit. Well , this pit had all sorts of dug out holes in it. Yet these treasure hunters who have crisscrossed this area for ever , have never seen it before. It only got worse from there. That was it for me. Shattering , once again my dreams of actually someone being successful at finding a massive genuine treasure. I don't think it's ever going to happen. I blame it all on Geraldo , who got me hooked. Breaking through Al Capones vault only to find busted whiskey bottles and dirt. ( which reminds me of my own REAL story which I may just post in help identify finds section). Ok..I just posted in the bottles section.

ManInTheWaLL 05-13-2022 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA (Post 3392694)
Why necessarily this conclusion in that story ? Because here's 2 other plausible outcomes :

1) D.B. Cooper survived the parachute jump, left only some of the $$ there, and hiked off with the rest. And spent it elsewhere. Hence : "no treasure out there" now.

2) Other person(s) before, or after, the kid, likewise found $$. And DIDN'T run to alert the authorities. And instead : Spent it elsewhere. Hence: "no treasure out there" now.

But notice that the instinct in stories like this (and all the others) is to mentally bypass other explanations. This is our inborn nature to want to believe-so-hard (lest you be laughed at all the way to the bank).

For example, your conclusion was NOT that it "might" still be there. Your conclusion was that it WAS still there. This is because when it comes to treasure, we all subconsciously put critical thinking aside. And ... everything gets interpreted around "Fabulous treasure" instead.


Problem is, all the $20 bills serial #'s were recorded. They are all publicly available on the FBI's website. None of those serial numbers have ever been detected in circulation.

My conclusion? Just because I post something, does not mean it's my belief. You should not assume.

Tom_in_CA 05-13-2022 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ManInTheWaLL (Post 3392863)
.... None of those serial numbers have ever been detected in circulation. .....

Do all currency serial #'s get randomly spot-checked , in normal-routine-circulation ? If so, I wasn't aware of that.

In other words: When investigators want to go check individual bundles of $$, then Sure: They compare #'s. But does the entire country's money supply have serial #'s checked, at some given check/choke point of the circulation system ?

Example: When you spend $20 at 7-11 for a slurpee, no one's checking the serial #, right ? And when that 7-11 takes their nightly deposit to the bank, no one at that bank is checking the serial # to see if it's connected to DB cooper, right ? And so forth through the circulation system.

It would have to be a concerted / purposed check, d/t some individual suspicion, right ?

Unless I'm wrong, and that in modern digital computerized times that we live in, that the currency supply is somehow going through a banking system "choke point", where currency serial #'s are being scanned perpetually, by some sort of computer reading system.

PeterG7 05-13-2022 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ManInTheWaLL (Post 3392691)
Some of you guys need to track down the $200,000 that DB Cooper jumped out of the plane with.

in 1980 a young boy found a rotting package full of twenty-dollar bills ($5,800 in all) that matched the ransom money serial numbers. So the "Treasure" is out there somewhere.


Can worthless FRN be ďtreasureĒ ?

FreeBirdTim 05-13-2022 12:39 PM

Quote:

In other words: When investigators want to go check individual bundles of $$, then Sure: They compare #'s. But does the entire country's money supply have serial #'s checked, at some given check/choke point of the circulation system ?
This is a great question. I wonder if they check the old $20 bills when they come to the U.S. Mint to be destroyed? If they don't, then some of the D.B. Cooper bills could have been circulated for years and later destroyed by the Mint.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.