Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Quality metal detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > General Hobby Discussion

Old 01-15-2012, 12:35 PM

Default thinking of an at pro

thinking about getting a at pro. like what i have been hearing about them but have not heard much about how good the pinpointing is. any info would would help.thank you

Old 01-15-2012, 12:56 PM
Elite Member

Wife and I love ours. The pinpointing takes a bit to get use to as it seems on every machine. I am very happy with my choice on the At Pro.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:59 PM
Elite Member

It's an awful machine. People swear by it but after using it for a few weeks I hated the unbalanced piece of garbage. Pinpointing is HORRIBLE. I figured it out but it just never ever felt natural using the machine. Also heard of horror stories of bad coils and not being waterproof...Hopefully yours will be ok though.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:10 PM

thanks for the info guys.if any body else to throw in let me hear it

Old 01-15-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonesquat View Post
It's an awful machine. People swear by it but after using it for a few weeks I hated the unbalanced piece of garbage. Pinpointing is HORRIBLE. I figured it out but it just never ever felt natural using the machine. Also heard of horror stories of bad coils and not being waterproof...Hopefully yours will be ok though.
My experience is limited to only the AT Pro I bought a couple of weeks ago. However, from my research on this detector, the earlier models had a lot of issues with the coil that comes with it. Personally, I've not had many issues with mine and I really do believe the couple of issues I have had are user generated. After cleaning my coil cover of sand from beach hunting, I've cured my problems I think. Sorry you had such a bad experience with it.

I am NOT an expert nor even an amateur MD person. I've only been doing this for a couple of weeks. However, my background in Army Aviation and Computer System Hardware and Operating Systems helps me tremendously. Blessedly, I learn technical subjects very quickly.

Now, addressing your original question about pinpointing. It has been very easy for me to PP with my AT Pro. And, it is highly accurate as well! In researching how to make the best use of the PP feature, I found that if I will use a certain hole in the Coil as my "cross hairs", I am on top of the target every single time. Before I started using this method, I was always PP yet a couple of inches off the target. I'd dig down and discover that I had to dig to the left or right of the hole I already had. Since going with this new method, new to me anyway, I have found it to be, as I said, very accurate.

Use the hole I've outlined in red as your cross hairs. When looking straight down the shaft at the hole, you are PP right on top of your find. Works extremely well for me on the beach and in the other, sandy type soils we have here in Florida. Good luck!

Old 01-15-2012, 01:29 PM

Default Don't think...do!

I bought my AT Pro in November of 2010...1st production batch. I hunted with it in the water mostly this past season and I had an issue with a water leak. Garrett stands behind its products 100%. I sent it in and they fixed the problem and exchanged my coil. I would recommend the AT Pro!

Old 01-15-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super 64 View Post
My experience is limited to only the AT Pro I bought a couple of weeks ago. However, from my research on this detector, the earlier models had a lot of issues with the coil that comes with it. Personally, I've not had many issues with mine and I really do believe the couple of issues I have had are user generated. After cleaning my coil cover of sand from beach hunting, I've cured my problems I think. Sorry you had such a bad experience with it.

I am NOT an expert nor even an amateur MD person. I've only been doing this for a couple of weeks. However, my background in Army Aviation and Computer System Hardware and Operating Systems helps me tremendously. Blessedly, I learn technical subjects very quickly.

Now, addressing your original question about pinpointing. It has been very easy for me to PP with my AT Pro. And, it is highly accurate as well! In researching how to make the best use of the PP feature, I found that if I will use a certain hole in the Coil as my "cross hairs", I am on top of the target every single time. Before I started using this method, I was always PP yet a couple of inches off the target. I'd dig down and discover that I had to dig to the left or right of the hole I already had. Since going with this new method, new to me anyway, I have found it to be, as I said, very accurate.

Use the hole I've outlined in red as your cross hairs. When looking straight down the shaft at the hole, you are PP right on top of your find. Works extremely well for me on the beach and in the other, sandy type soils we have here in Florida. Good luck!

Great tip!

Old 01-15-2012, 01:36 PM
Elite Member

It's an AWESOME machine. It's less than half the price of some detectors and it easily does 80% what they do.

I have been using the AT Pro now for 5 months and I find it a delight to hunt with. I can pinpoint very easily with it once I slowed down enough to figure it out. I say that I can pinpoint much much easier with it than I do with the V3i but then again, I've only had my V3i for a couple of months.

It can detect silver like nobody's business and of course, it's a proven gold magnet. I can detect a silver dime at 8 inches in my Kansas soil and a quarter at 11 inches easily.

If you buy it, learn it and you won't regret it.

XP Deus**http://thedirtisgoodtome.com/
2014 Silver coins = 5**Other silver = 2**Gold rings = 0**Other Gold = 0

Old 01-15-2012, 02:03 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by relicfarmer View Post
thinking about getting a at pro. like what i have been hearing about them but have not heard much about how good the pinpointing is. any info would would help.thank you
So far the AT is what I'm looking hard at too for an upgrade from my trusty little bounty hunter.

Even though I don't plan on swimming with it if I buy one thats not waterproof somehow it will happen.

Check out vids on youtube, those folks picking coins out of iron scrap are very cool!

Old 01-15-2012, 02:12 PM

I have an ATpro and I don't have any problems with it at all.
I mostly pin point off the front of the coil and am very close.
When it rains I no longer worry about bags or covers for the detector.
I just cleaned it up for the winter (again) and it looks like a new unit.
I just stuck it under the hose and washed away the dirt.
HH

Old 01-15-2012, 02:22 PM
Elite Member

I've had mine for about a year & have logged well over 100 hours on it, It's a awesome machine..

Old 01-15-2012, 04:36 PM
Elite Member

Default AT Pro

I had the AT Pro in my final Short list. Its seemed like a lot of detector for the money. I read every review I could find on it (as I did on all MDs on my short list). If you are liking what you are hearing and reading about the AT Pro, you haven't read many of its reviews, and you must be reading good things about it from Sponsors, Dealers, and owners that have at least one other MD? It reviews and rates in the 3.5 stars area give or take 0.1 (Not 1.0). I think if you buy a problematic MD or anything in its first model year you pretty much should expect to accept the problems you are probably going to have,,,,,,

Old 01-15-2012, 05:02 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by relicfarmer View Post
I am a new AT Pro owner. I really, like what I see so far. I am having a blast with it. I have been pulling much deeper coins. As far as the pinpointing goes, I don't even use the pinpointer. It is so easy to swing over the target, back up till the thing stops giving you a good signal. Go forward till it stops giving you a good signal and keep your eyes on that spot. with the stock coil, left and right is a no brainer. Two inch little left right swings puts you right on the target. The backward and forward part is easy too. I have been doing it all day today and nailing the pinpoints dead center.

Sonny.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:53 PM
THE JUICE

i've had mine for a year and after gettin a few bugs worked out its a great machine for the money, the earlier models were a bit coil heavy but now the upgraded models have a longer arm cuff whichs seems ta balance it better. the cam locks are also a nice improvement. as far as pinpointing i find it easy ta just locate the target and drop the signal off the tip of the coil, its fast and easy. for the price ya can't beat it

Old 01-15-2012, 07:02 PM
Elite Member

Mine was an early one that had some issues. Garrett stood behind it without question and we finally got them all straightened out. I have never regretted buying it. PPing was a little off til I learned to just get a good solid PP signal then pull coil back til noise drops off completely. Object is right in front of coil tip. There are those on here that are never happy with anything in their lives it seems and like to badmouth all that is Garrett. There are also a lot of happy users of the products and have been seeing a lot of people jump into the Pro and being completely happy. Everyone can tell you it's good and bad points, but until you actually take one out and swing it for a couple of days, you will never know if it's the machine for you. Took me about 4 good hunts with it to get a good feel for it, then I started understanding it and was pulling coins.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:09 PM
Elite Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdau75 View Post
Great tip!
I just did a deep digging hunt with my at and this is the correct pinpointing hole! Im getting quite good with my machine. Its WAY better than my ace 250!

Old 01-15-2012, 07:10 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super 64 View Post

I meant to post this pic with coil.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:38 PM
Elite Member

If you get one you'll never regret it.. Here are some Garrett Training Videos, including some others videos on Some hunts in the field with the AT... Also you will see the pin pointing methods that can be used..
http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbb...ro_videos.aspx

Old 01-15-2012, 08:05 PM

At pro is win , and hey anything that can rile up the e trac guys and is half the price has got to be good right /shrug

Old 01-15-2012, 08:45 PM

I guess a lot depends on what/where you will be using it. I've used one before and thought it was a pretty good all around machine, however, I prefer Whites and Minelab. Search the forums for reviews and "vs." type of posts (i.e. MXT Pro vs. AT Pro, etc.). I think you will be happy with any of the mainstream detectors...if not, put it on the classifieds and use the money to try another machine. Many people here do that with their machines and coils. Only way to know is pull the trigger and get one, get out and start digging! I would recommend a Garrett Pro pointer and a Lesche as well no matter what detector you buy. GL and HH