Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Hollands Brook Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > General Hobby Discussion

Old 01-15-2012, 12:20 PM
Elite Member

Default Finding Bracelets and Necklaces

I've been doing a lot of detecting these last 2 seasons. I have found a gold ring, platinum, and tungsten. I found one hoop ear ring (junk) and plenty of baby bling from schools.

I have yet to recover any chain type jewelry. That is not to say that it might not have been where I was at. Or was it.

I have an Ace 250. I feel pretty confident in what it's TRYING to tell me. It goes Beep beep BEEP! and I go BeepbeepBeep? and it responds BEEp-Beep Beep!

At this point. In pinpoint mode you can size up a target. Coin sized and smaller are easy. I don't find a lot of quarters, but they are slightly larger and fade through the pinpoint in a predictable manner.

When I find an larger object in pinpoint this is oddly larger than most targets. I pass. Mostly it's the soft aluminum ties for the chain link fence, a loop or length of wire, an aluminum tube like from a gun cleaning kit, or some other type of LONG item

From those of you that find chain style jewelry. Do they appear as larger object? Or do only a couple links in the chain visible to the detector as I have read in the forums. Or am I second guessing myself....

Old 01-15-2012, 12:40 PM
Elite Member

The ones I find are detected by the id tag or if a pendant is attached. The very small oval id pieces are large enough for my Fisher to sound off on, Steve in so az

"The more I dig the luckier I get."

Old 01-15-2012, 12:53 PM
Elite Member

I feel your pain. 2 years of finding all kinds of stuff but not 1 bracelet or chain to show for it. Just a few eye ball necklace finds and 1 accidental dig of a thin gold necklace with cross.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vethraxx View Post
I've been doing a lot of detecting these last 2 seasons. I have found a gold ring, platinum, and tungsten. I found one hoop ear ring (junk) and plenty of baby bling from schools.

I have yet to recover any chain type jewelry. That is not to say that it might not have been where I was at. Or was it.

I have an Ace 250. I feel pretty confident in what it's TRYING to tell me. It goes Beep beep BEEP! and I go BeepbeepBeep? and it responds BEEp-Beep Beep!

At this point. In pinpoint mode you can size up a target. Coin sized and smaller are easy. I don't find a lot of quarters, but they are slightly larger and fade through the pinpoint in a predictable manner.

When I find an larger object in pinpoint this is oddly larger than most targets. I pass. Mostly it's the soft aluminum ties for the chain link fence, a loop or length of wire, an aluminum tube like from a gun cleaning kit, or some other type of LONG item

From those of you that find chain style jewelry. Do they appear as larger object? Or do only a couple links in the chain visible to the detector as I have read in the forums. Or am I second guessing myself....

I have found one intact chain in the water this season. In the water, the AT Pro gives off the middle tone for anything in the "ring range" (which is also the pop tab range!). I scooped it out of the water and it fell back in...I did recover it. It is a 36" silver chain with a heavy unique cross with diamonds.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:34 PM
Elite Member

Thin chains are really tough to pick up, they don't give off a real good signal unless they are balled up...Thin gold necklaces are rarely found for this reason...

Old 01-15-2012, 04:15 PM
Elite Member

Glad it's not only me then.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:41 PM
Elite Member

Yeah, silver chains are a rough one, I managed 2 last year, both didn't 'sound' like a silver coin or ring would.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:11 PM

Even on air testing, even with it all balled up,an older 14K rope chain that I have gives a strange but pretty weak tone. So, no, I think it's not just you....HH!!!

Old 01-16-2012, 06:40 AM
Elite Member

Location: KANSAS.. by way of Metro Detroit, Tampa Bay and Alabama

My Compadre is sensitive enough to pick up chains, most others are not for a few reasons.

On a hunt where I had found a nice silver necklace, actually 2 in a site I had combed with 2 other detectors several times, the Compadre easily found one of those silver necklaces about 1-2 inches down between the iron and foil setting, a friend with an E-Trac had to actually scrape the thing on the bottom of his coil to get any kind of a reading.

I wondered why other detectors I used had a hard time finding these and that E-Trac too, so I asked this question and got some great answers...

Eddy currents...the links diffuse the return signal back to the detector.
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showt...stery...solved

This is the normal path of these currents with a coin as a target...
A chain is way different...all broken up...almost invisible to most detectors and coils.

Name:  eddy.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  26.4 KB

The same eddy current problem is the reason a detector should pick up a round solid ring at a decent depth, but if that ring is not a solid ring and broken with open ends, depth is highly curtailed, and the signal on a broken ring might actually not be very solid and might sound like trash.

What I learned is silver chains won't come in as a high tone, it could be very low even down in the iron range.
To find chains and bracelets, most detectors have to zero in on charms or something hanging from the chain, or if you are lucky the clasp if it is big enough.
Even then, the links diffuse the signal and confuse most detectors...even balled up in air tests I have trouble.

Most detectors that is...again, I have found two silver necklaces and a small fine silver bracelet with the Compadre that hardly mad a peep on anyother detector I own.

That's why I bought the thing, to have my best shot at jewelry...ALL jewelry!