Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Myers Depot Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > General Hobby Discussion

Notices

Old 05-21-2007, 05:50 PM

Smile Digging Tips Needed

Greetings,

I was wondering how everyone else finds their finds. I mean, after you've found where you want to dig and start digging. Do you guys just dig and scoop out dirt and look to see if anything is on the top then rinse and repeat? Or do you dig out some dirt, shift through it with your hands then rinse and repeat?

I'm still new, so...so far I've been making a square of where I think I think my find is. I scoop out dirt into I believe its called a sifter. (The thing you pour your wet noodles into). I sift the dirt into a tupper wear bin and hope something comes out. After I haven't found anything for awhile, I run my detector over my hole just to make sure whatever came up is still there. Is this the proper way to search through the dirt?

(I've been digging in my front/back yard by the way.)

Old 05-21-2007, 06:00 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Wickednawh View post
Greetings,

I was wondering how everyone else finds their finds. I mean, after you've found where you want to dig and start digging. Do you guys just dig and scoop out dirt and look to see if anything is on the top then rinse and repeat? Or do you dig out some dirt, shift through it with your hands then rinse and repeat?

I'm still new, so...so far I've been making a square of where I think I think my find is. I scoop out dirt into I believe its called a sifter. (The thing you pour your wet noodles into). I sift the dirt into a tupper wear bin and hope something comes out. After I haven't found anything for awhile, I run my detector over my hole just to make sure whatever came up is still there. Is this the proper way to search through the dirt?

(I've been digging in my front/back yard by the way.)
I am confused...are you talking about cooking??? or detecting??? noodles, rinse? tupper ware? what is going on?

Old 05-21-2007, 06:06 PM
Elite Member

If I am hunting a school yard I do this:

Pinpoint with my detector.

Slide a ground down screwdriver into the ground to try to hit the target.

If the target is close (<2'') to the surface, I pop it out with the srcrewdriver.

Otherwise I cut a plug with the Lesch digger.

Let me know if you need more details!

Old 05-21-2007, 06:10 PM
Elite Member

Welcome to the site Wicked! What kind of detector are you using?

Here is a great site with all the basics. Scroll down to see the plug and probe methods for digging targets.

http://koloheboy.freehosting.net/custom2.html

Old 05-21-2007, 06:17 PM
Elite Member

After I dig my hole, I tilt it over and then run my detector over the hole if it says its in the hole then I loosen the dirt with my digging tool adn pull out a handful at a time waving it in front of the coil, if it buzzes then I just use my hands and break apart the peice until I find it. If its in the part I flipped over I normally cut the bottom of the pile and use my hand and wave in front of the coil untill I find the object. I don't use a collander(noodle strainer). I think that would look a little weird...

Old 05-22-2007, 10:24 AM
Supporter

If it's grass I visualize where the target is and with my finger spread the grass to see what the roots look like. I find an area between the roots and either make a slit(in very thick grass) or sink my screwdriver down just below the target and pop it up.

Old 05-22-2007, 08:21 PM

How can you pin-point with that kind of accuracy if you just stick the screwdriver in and "pop it out"? And how can you tell if your screwdriver has hit a coin or a rock?

Mind you I am a newbie and full of stupid questions: Which part of the coil is the detector? The center or outer edges or all of it? When I get a signal, I will run run the coil over it until I get the beep at the center of the coil. Am I doing that right?

Old 05-23-2007, 01:47 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Kerry View post
How can you pin-point with that kind of accuracy if you just stick the screwdriver in and "pop it out"? And how can you tell if your screwdriver has hit a coin or a rock?

Mind you I am a newbie and full of stupid questions: Which part of the coil is the detector? The center or outer edges or all of it? When I get a signal, I will run run the coil over it until I get the beep at the center of the coil. Am I doing that right?
I too pop coins as the above person mentioned. The coins when you tap on them you will know they have a certain feel...usually flat and solid...the rock can fool you but not the same feeling at all. I use the exact method mentioned for popping coins!

Old 05-23-2007, 05:31 PM
Elite Member

you shouldnt need to dig anything bigger than an inverted snow cone cup. I am kinda lost for words at using a collander.

Old 05-23-2007, 11:42 PM

We are not pulling your leg. Coin poping just takes practice and patience and it does work. I don"t quite understand the use of the other things. I use a cheap cloth nail apron from lowes. One side is for trash and the other side is for my finds. Of course, by july or aug. I will probably need dynamite and/or a backhoe to dig with even if the rain doesn"t wash everything away. Sometimes it sucks living in oklahoma.

HH, Wes.

Old 05-23-2007, 11:46 PM

What kind of detector are you using?
I am using a Discovery 2200 that I bought from RadioShack.

As for the colander, I use it for two reasons. I don't want to risk the chance of my hands/fingers not feeling what I'm looking for. So it is sure to get caught in the colander if I do dig it out. 2nd. I do not use gloves...call me a bit causious but I fear that one day I may run into a sharp needle/nail and either poke/cut myself on it and let's hope a cut is all I get. So the colander will show me everything i might have otherwise missed.

Last edited by Wickednawh; 05-23-2007 at 11:47 PM. Reason: typos!

Old 05-24-2007, 11:07 AM

Default This is what i do as well

Originally Posted by z118 View post
If I am hunting a school yard I do this:

Pinpoint with my detector.

Slide a ground down screwdriver into the ground to try to hit the target.

If the target is close (<2'') to the surface, I pop it out with the srcrewdriver.

Otherwise I cut a plug with the Lesch digger.

Let me know if you need more details!

This is the techniques im trying to use as well