need an extention cable for my Etrac coil,,,, GOING HIP MOUNTED....

grouser

Elite Member
I have an idea to mount the lower shaft and coil on an old Tesoro s-rod, then with about a 3 foot coiled extension cable mount the control box and battery on a sling to wear around one shoulder... this will make it closer to my old eyes and MUCH MUCH lighter,,,,, some one please direct me to a source for the plugs and cable. I will have a professional solder it up for me,,,,,THANKS in advance !!! any advice welcomed !!!!

IM GOING HIP-MOUNT!!!! Well chest actually. Emailed Doc and he says this cable will work for the etrac,,(http://www.docsdetecting.com/docsplace/coiltek/coils3.html#bacl22),, have one on the way. Have already mounted my coil on an old Tesoro s-rod and have removed the arm rest and base off the upper rod for mounting a sling to. This puts the control box closer to my old eyes and the coil-rod is light as a feather WHOOOOO-HHOOOOOOO,,,,will posts pics when complete

got the cord today and hooked things up temp to see how it was gonna pan out,,,, this is gonna be SWEET !!!! so light and very comfortable,,, will post pics this week end,,,,,,

Please post some pictures! I too have given this idea some serious consideration. Can't wait to see the final product!

G2M

Here are the pictures of my shoulder mount set-up on my Etrac. I removed the foot rest and arm-cuff. Used the screw from the arm-cuff to secure a small piece of aluminum bent at a 45 degree angle for the upper attachment point. Along with the anchor I cut a small piece of plastic to completely cover the open slot in the base where the arm-cuff was to keep dirt out. The shoulder strap, padded with swivel clips, was from an old carry bag, and the lower attachment is a velcro tool holder thingie from a big box lumber store.
I was able to use the entire Etrac lower and upper shfts because the first mod I only used the lower shaft and REALLY missed the infinite adjustment of the original. I found that the 7/8 (OD) inch rod of an old Tesoro MD fit so snugly into the shaft of the etrac that I prolly won't even drill and pin it. Could have put the coil wire inside by cutting a slot for it to exit but leaving it on the outside makes changing coils SO MUCH faster. I also found that the stock Koss HF where nice to use with their short cord because the machine never leaves my shoulder while MD so the short cord actually works out good. I even used my smaller ear buds with great success as the cord just lies on my back out of the way. All this was done with out one single permanent change to the Etrac. When digging the machine is slid over to my left for full access to the hole. The only change to what I useually have do is the coil and shaft is placed on my left instead of my right,,,,,,

here are the pics

Attachments

• IMG_2804.jpg
    IMG_2804.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 744
  • IMG_2807.jpg
    IMG_2807.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 690
  • IMG_2808.jpg
    IMG_2808.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 737
yes they are..,... it even allows me to use the real thin wired ipod earbuds,,, they block 16db of aout side noise and can be worn under a warm hat. very good sound and you still can hear outside noises and no worries about the wire being to short or small and breaking from abuse

Excellent work. Did you look at getting rid of the Minelab rods and just mount the coil to your Tesoro setup? It would probably save even more weight and you wouldn't have to fight the internal coil routing.

i like the clamping mechanizum of the etrac and I have moved the cord to the out side of the rod for easier coil changes... it's plenty light and I know it may be silly but being able to move/shorten the rod in a 1/2 second in hilly/up down terrain is nice for me,,,,,HH

Looks a nice setup

We have a local chap who will make harnesses to order, for any machine.

A few years back when I had a particularly heavy detector, I made my own
for nothing. I found a couple of old belts, joined them together and wore
them diagonally across my chest. Then connected a flexible luggage
bungee (the type with a hook on each end) between the belt and the
detector. Once I had the length right it worked very well.

I am able to swing until the cows come home now,,,, and as an added bonus I can keep the control head under a rain coat while MD in the rain

Back
Top Bottom