**Clad, old headstamp, and ANOTHER BIG GOLD CLASS RING!**

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
The weather is unusually nice around here lately, been trying to get in a few hours of hunting before the snow, ice, cold and frozen ground curtails my hunting.
Not much time to hunt, but headed back to a big ol park that is beautiful and dates back to the 50's.
This is the 4th time here, I have been hitting different areas looking for some good spots but it is a huge place and just being out there in some decent weather is a great thing.

Only had 3 hours today, and I was heading back to a little place I have been cleaning out a bit looking for some jewelry.
Today, I stopped for a few minutes right at the entrance next to a ball field that has been there awhile.
Found some clad on one side of the entry road a few days ago, a Sacagawea dollar, too, my second one.
There is a small grassy area on the other side of the road so I hit that today.
Not much there, a little clad but I did pick up a UMC head stamp that I will add to the collection and eventually send them all to Turtlefeets.
I am not into collecting them like he is, but I did research it and it is a UMC...not a REM-UMC which dates it back to between 1891 and 1911, so pretty cool, I think.

As I drove into the park I decided to turn right instead of left like I have before just to check out a different part of the park.
I came across another picnic shelter site and this one had a little tot lot in the area and I love these things so I pulled in.

Had the Vaquero and the Compadre with me today, and I changed back to the 9X8 concentric coil on the Vaq last week from my 10X12 DD I have been using since last spring.
Just a little tired of digging tons of bottle caps, and with a concentric I can avoid these a little better than I can with the DD, so I started with that one.
Stepped into the tot lot, put the disc at iron just like I do with the Compadre and went to work.
Now I love that Compadre and a lot of us know how sensitive they are to jewelry, but let me tell you that Vaquero is no slouch, either.
I found that tiny little gold looking stud several inches deep, and I don't think it is gold but it sure gave off a signal and came in around iron...just like small gold would have been on the Compadre.
I also picked up some teeny tiny little bits of foil, too, so I know my Vaq is very capable of finding the small good stuff if you use it right.

Found another elongated penny to add to the collection, love finding these, and it was laying right under a seat on a huge iron bar that was very near 2 other bars from this big structure.
A little tip for the newbies here, there was falsing going on all over the place as I moved my coil around this area so I should not have been able to find this thing at all.
I was supertuned and the sense was set on max too.
What I usually do in this situation is move the coil slow and listen for a tell-tale double beep.
I had false tones every time I moved that coil, but the Tesoro recovery time is so fast that I can always hear that little extra beep if the coil rolls over another target near these big metal objects.

Found that little butterfly thing, some clad and all those buttons and studs so I am thinking nobody has hit this thing lately.
Still not sure how much competition I have also hunting these parks, but it does not seem like a lot, so far.
Still have not found my first wheatie since moving to Kansas, but one of those nickels in the picture is a 1940.

Families with kids kept coming by to play on the equipment so when they came in I moved over to the picnic table areas and moved back when they left.
My plan was to clean up the lot with the Vaq and then come back wth the Compadre and look for that small gold stuff, but time was getting short so I headed toward the bathroom area and searched around the entrance looking for more clad.
I walked around the back of this thing and noticed there was a pretty good sized flat area back there and I have noticed in other parks I have been in this type of area is actually used by family and groups even though it is not in the main picnic area.
Something about being close to the bathrooms, I guess, but for whatever reason I have picked up plenty of clad in exactly this type of area so with the little time I had left, I just started swinging walking around pretty fast looking for evidence that people hung out there.
I found some clad, and even a small pocket spill...2 quarters, a nickel and 3 pennies in one hole.
Looks good, going to have to come back here and grid this place and do a more thorough search, but with about 20 minutes left in this hunt I walked back to the truck and switched to the Compadre just for giggles and grins.
I have been pretty lucky with this one, and I hoped lightning would strike again.

Guess what...it did!

I started in the area where I hit that pocket spill and again just wandered around swinging pretty wildly looking for one good hit.
Found a few dimes, some pennies and then I had a zinc signal.
The disc knob was right on that zn mark and I bent over, ran the Propointer over the area and determined I had the target about 3 inches down and bent over to pop up another zincoln...but this time it was no zincoln that popped up.

GOLD BABY! Another beautiful nice size class ring...my second one this year!
14 grams worth, according to my scale here at home!

Man I was flying...I gave out a little yell, did the dance, cleaned it off and stared at it.
Jostens, 10k, 3 initials...time to go home.

Pretty good hunt today, I think.

Back home on the computer it took me about 20 minutes to track down alumni from that year with those initials, found a guy that might just be the owner.
Everything matches up...the school, all 3 of his initials, his age and class year, and I did find a little info on the ringfinders website that mentioned a lost ring from this school in that year, but most of the info was not filled in.
Whoever listed it probably did not think he had a chance to get it back.

Pretty sure this is the guy, though, and I do have his cell and business numbers, he still lives in the area and not too far from me and in a few days, (after I stop admiring it), I will contact him and ask if he is missing something.

I returned a huge 17 gram class ring last July when I lived in Bama, but that did not go so well.
A very unsatisfying experience.
This time, I hope the owner appreciates the effort, and I am assuming he will.

Had a great day out in some unusual but beautiful weather today, hope some of you guys did too!

HH

Attachments

• all.jpg
    all.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 697
  • P1020207.jpg
    P1020207.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 693
  • P1020208.jpg
    P1020208.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 686
  • 1940.jpg
    1940.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 690
  • ring 1.jpg
    ring 1.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 723
  • ring 2.jpg
    ring 2.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 680
Wow! Some great finds but that Class Ring is AWESOME Digger!:yes:
Sounds like your getting settled down in your new digs.
Congrats!:goodpost:

Awesome find! Your hunts are always so exciting. Why you quit using the F2 though?

I still use that too.
Lately, I like using the Compadre because I keep finding great stuff with it, I haven't hunted with my Vaq and the standard coil for awhile so that is feeling new to me, again, but the last big gold ring I found I was using the F2.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=80674

I have just mounted the sniper coil on that so the next trashy site it will get it's turn.

I still use that too.
lately, I like using the Compadre because I keep finding great stuff with it, I haven't hunted with my Vaq and the standard coil for awhile so that is feeling new to me, again, but the last big gold ring I found I was using the F2.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=80674

I have just mounted the sniper coil on that so the next trashy site it will get it's turn.

I'm actually considering getting a 2nd detector and most likely would be a Compadre. But that's after I find enough to pay off my purchases already.

Great finds and it is sure interesting to know you hit that big ring with the Compadre! Makes The King think His recent Compadre purchase was a great addition to the MD arsenal...especially since He found a nice 5 grammer gold ring in a totyard with it! :lol::lol:

Too bad neither of us live in gold nugget huntin country...KT would love to see what it will do with a small gold nugget! Reminds KT, He has a couple of small ones in a vial at the office...will just have to get around to testing it!

Thanks, everyone.
I now live in an area that gives me a way better chance to find some older coins.
Some members offered to take me hunting at some old sites and I will do that when I get the chance, but living back in Bama with that bad soil I changed my plans and concentrated on turning into a jewelry hunter.
That kind of good stuff could be deep, but some good ones can also be shallow.

So far here in Kansas with this find, that plan seems to be working well.

very nice looking class ring congrats
good luck on the return sounds like you already got it nailed down

curtis

Nice ring. I remember the problems that you had trying to return the last one.
I think that if I found one, I would be tempted to ask for it's melt value for it's return.

Nice ring. I remember the problems that you had trying to return the last one.
I think that if I found one, I would be tempted to ask for it's melt value for it's return.

:lol:
After that last unappreciative jerk, I almost tend to agree, but so many more returns I have read about turn out nicely...I just assume my first go-round with returning someone's lost property was an anomaly.

:lol:
After that last unappreciative jerk, I almost tend to agree, but so many more returns I have read about turn out nicely...I just assume my first go-round with returning someone's lost property was an anomaly.

I never could find the working link to the video of that first ring. My 2 cents is class rings unless newly lost mean nothing to most people. For one their parents usually pay for them so the kids could care less about how much its worth. Class rings when I was in school were only important for a few months then everyone forgot about them and went on to the next fad. Its not like most folks wear their class ring after high school graduation.

Back
Top Bottom