Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Metal Detector Reviews
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > All About Detectors

Old 12-23-2011, 09:54 PM

Default Best for $600

I'm looking to spend around 500-600 for a new detector. I've got 4 years exp with the Ace 250, I got my little brother an Ace 150 and both have done excellent for us. I'm ready to move to a more advanced detector now, I am really leaning towards the Garrett AT Pro, but I am biased towards Garrett now with my experience with them. Anyway I'm open to suggestions, I'll be hunting on land, yards and woods mainly with the occasional playground. I have several spots where I've found a very good amount of silver coins all the way back to the 1850s, and would love a more powerful machine to get a few more inches depth! Thanks for any advice you all may have.

I didn't see the advice on detector purchase sub-forum before I submitted this, my fault.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:06 PM
Elite Member

I would recommend the AT Pro all day long. I went from an Ace250 to an Ace350 to the AT Pro. It will add depth and you will dig much less trash once you learn the sounds. Most of the coins in my signature line were found with this. PM me and I can tell you who to see where you can get it for $500 or even less...GL

Old 12-23-2011, 10:18 PM
Elite Member

.....there goes the profit margin....

Old 12-23-2011, 10:19 PM

AT-Pro. I hear if you ask Garrett pretty please they'll send one for you through your dealer with the 5x8 coil. If that's true I'd jump on it!

Old 12-24-2011, 07:14 AM

Tesoro Vaquero is my favorite machine for the money. you can get it for 400 which leaves you 120 for your pro pointer and 40 for your leshce digger... that would have you set up like a pro and really ready give you the tools you need to give this a ol collage try...

Old 12-24-2011, 12:22 PM

Default Let's be real about this..

Lets get real about this question. You can cover a wide range of machines from between $400 and $600 new and even more if you shop lightly used. I just sold my pristine F75 for $600 shipped and that would have run circles around any AT Pro hands down. An Qmega is a great choice and you can pick up a new one for $600 shipped or a good used one is on the forums right now with two coils for $450 shipped. In fact there are many to choose from. A nice used T2 has recently been posted for $650 shipped. Tejon's are super deep and one nicely used can be picked up for between $300 and $350. Almost every detector I've owned has been pre owned and I never had to send one back (except my old AT Pro and a another different Garrett that I bought new) so buying new and paying more because of a warrenty that you'll never use is redundant. Garrett was kind enough to fix my used AT Pro for shipping because of the leaks and coils issues and they voided my warrenty on another Garrett because they claimed I misused it and charged me way to much for a repair. Warrenty's are not always honored. So the best advice for this member is to read up and review and make a list of everything new and used in their price range and make their own personal choice from there list. Good luck in your search and although your question is a great one but there are just to many choices and bias out there for us to choose the right machine that would be best. Merry Christmas and Happy Trails,
Woodstock

Old 12-24-2011, 01:41 PM
Elite Member

Default Tesoro Vaquero

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyDT View Post
Tesoro Vaquero is my favorite machine for the money. you can get it for 400 which leaves you 120 for your pro pointer and 40 for your leshce digger... that would have you set up like a pro and really ready give you the tools you need to give this a ol collage try...
Ditto..

Old 12-24-2011, 02:29 PM

Bryan-
I would also recommend the Vaquero as long you are willing to give up your dependence on visual ID/visual display. I went from an Ace 250 to a Silver uMax and then a Vaquero and my search stopped there. One of these days, I might pick up an ETrac, but I am happy with what I have.

The visual feedback in my experience with the Ace was unrealiable and confusing to me, and the discrimination was iffy. I also find the slower recovery time of the Ace unacceptable when trying to pinpoint.

If you are willing to learn the language of any machine (types of metal, depth, jewlery, coins on edge, etc) by what you hear, then you will be successful. I just prefer the tone of the Tesoro over the Ace and really like the depth of the Vaquero.

GL and HH with whatever you decide to upgrade with.

Old 12-24-2011, 03:10 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan2766 View Post
I'm looking to spend around 500-600 for a new detector. I've got 4 years exp with the Ace 250, I got my little brother an Ace 150 and both have done excellent for us. I'm ready to move to a more advanced detector now, I am really leaning towards the Garrett AT Pro, but I am biased towards Garrett now with my experience with them. Anyway I'm open to suggestions, I'll be hunting on land, yards and woods mainly with the occasional playground. I have several spots where I've found a very good amount of silver coins all the way back to the 1850s, and would love a more powerful machine to get a few more inches depth! Thanks for any advice you all may have.

I didn't see the advice on detector purchase sub-forum before I submitted this, my fault.
Bryan,
Feel free to give me a call. I can help you with your decision and give you a great deal!

Authorized Minelab Metal Detectors Fisher Teknetics Garrett XP Deus
Minelab partner of the year 2012. Minelab customer service award 2012 and 2013.

Old 12-24-2011, 03:10 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyDT View Post
I'd go for this also......Not have to worry about future problems, etc.. gettin' fixed...JMHO

Old 12-24-2011, 03:42 PM
Elite Member

Default Fisher

Fisher CZ's are the best detectors ever made. Buy a used CZ5 7- 7a pro. You cant go wrong. Very deep machines. You havn't used a machine like these.

Old 12-24-2011, 05:28 PM
Elite Member

Get the Tesoro Vaquero, you'll be glad that you did. It's fast, really light, super deep, very stable and comes with a real lifetime warranty. Customer service is second to none.

Tesoro owners are happy campers.

http://metaldetectorreviews.net/dete...1-vaquero.html

beephead

Old 12-24-2011, 08:08 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beephead View Post

Tesoro owners are happy campers.