Anyone use an RFI EMI Filter?

tripperman79

I was browsing ebay today and came across something for metal detectors called a clip on RFI EMI filter, which claims to filter out interference from power lines and such. Has anyone tried one? I am not the seller of the item at the link below, just wondering if it is a scam or will actually help me with my ace 350.

Here is the link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clip-on-RFI...&otn=8&po=LCA&ps=63&clkid=4940322490298899091

I've never used one but I've seen them for sale on ebay for several different applications. I always assumed if it was a cure-all it would be built in to every detector and none of us would ever have the EMI issue.

It reminds me of those bracelets that are supposed to cure cancer, raise your testosterone, and bring your vision back to 20/20......

Cool, thanks. Saved me $5. I had a feeling they were a scam. I carry my cell phone with me sometimes when I'm swinging, so it gives my 350 fits.

WOAH.in the cb radio world. they are called ferite beads.we put them on the tv and speaker cables/power cables to stop them from picking up the cb radio.they are real and defintly work to stop stray rf. stray rf can be picked up by anything with a wire.the wire acts as a antenna.in my truck i had a big amp that would turn the windshield wippers on every time i keyed the mic..ferites stoped it.many cordless phones have them in the box but most dont know what for.cordless phones are a magnet for stray rf[radio feqs]

WOAH.in the cb radio world. they are called ferite beads.we put them on the tv and speaker cables/power cables to stop them from picking up the cb radio.they are real and defintly work to stop stray rf. stray rf can be picked up by anything with a wire.the wire acts as a antenna.in my truck i had a big amp that would turn the windshield wippers on every time i keyed the mic..ferites stoped it.many cordless phones have them in the box but most dont know what for.cordless phones are a magnet for stray rf[radio feqs]

/makingfun

So, have you tried one on an MD?

I'm not an RF guy, but doubt it would do much for a metal detector. Really wouldn't make any difference, if the electronics in your box isn't shielded.

their!

Attachments

• 384864_343947392286878_100000148598912_1661108_1814431658_n.jpg
    384864_343947392286878_100000148598912_1661108_1814431658_n.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 2,344
If your cable is shielded... they can't work... the shielding would prevent EMI/RF from entering or leaking from the cable. just my ²¢

This sounds like something worth checking out tomorrow.

I just got one off of a computer cable.

It was easy to remove....it was just clipped on the wire.

I've already placed it onto the cable of my V3 and will let you know how it works tomorrow.

OK......hunted today with the filter in place.

It did seem that I was able to turn the gain up higher on the V3i, but will need more research before I can decide if I'm getting more depth or less interference using the filter.

I will let you know more after my next hunt.

Finds today ...... about $2.00 in clad which did include a 1954 nickel and 4 toy cars.

Last edited:
Computer lines have them. It's a magnet, placed on the coaxial cable to help cut interference. Like twisting wire around each other, to counter the EMF affects.

As a HAM (amateur radio) operator I have built many antennas. I can tell you that any length of wire will act as an antenna. Even the shield part.
Do the filters work? Yes.
Do you need one? probably not.
But it is one of those things that could be handy to have around incase you find your self fighting with interference.
Dose it effect performance of the md? Don't know.
But I'd give up an inch or two rather then not hunt a site at all due to interference.

I may just try one of these for the heck of it. They are only $5. My main issue is when my cell phone rings or I get a text message while I am out. The cell phone drives my detector crazy.

Back
Top Bottom