Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Colonial Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > General Hobby Discussion

Old 11-12-2011, 05:24 PM

Post Pull Tabs For St. Jude

This is something my family and friends, as well as the school my wife teaches at since 2008, and it just hit me when I pulled a tab from the ground today. We have a friend whose daughter was diagnosed with leukemia back in 2008, she was 9 years old. She was sent that night from East Tennessee to Memphis to St. Jude's to begin treatment. She spent close to a year there and since is in remission and doing well. During out trips to visit her at St. Jude's we became aware of a program they have to help fund the Ronald McDonald House not only in Memphis but around the world. You can save the pull tab from can drinks and either mail the to the St. Jude address in Memphis, or take them to your local Ronald McDonald House in your area. Seeing how they treat these children was absolutely the most amazing thing I have ever witnessed. While the economy is bad and alot of people can not donate money, this is a great way to help the families that are going through such a rough time in their lives. You can save them at home, work, school... and the one that just hit me is THE ONE'S WE DIG UP! Maybe now instead of looking as these tabs as just another item in the trash container, they can have a different kind of value. Thanks!

Old 11-12-2011, 07:14 PM
Elite Member

great idea. blev

Old 11-13-2011, 01:01 PM
Elite Member

I've been saving mine for the collection, at the campground we keep a seasonal site at. It's for the same charity. We collected 2 one gallon containers this year alone. GL & HH

Old 11-13-2011, 06:01 PM
Elite Member

Default Sorry..

Don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, but..

http://www.wheremostneeded.org/2006/...s_pull__1.html

Old 11-13-2011, 06:10 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Soloman View Post
Don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, but..

http://www.wheremostneeded.org/2006/...s_pull__1.html
Well, apparently it is true.

Quote:
However both agree that Ronald McDonald House has taken advantage of the old legend by starting a real program to collect aluminum tabs.
Yes, they do not use the entire can, as the article mentioned, but the article goes on to mention that the reason may be this.

Quote:
Why collect only the tabs? Pop tabs are easy to collect and allow for any individual or community organization to participate. ... Tabs are also smaller and cleaner than aluminum cans enabling the Ronald McDonald House to handle the large volume they receive. We encourage you to recycle the entire aluminum can after you have saved the pull-tab for the Ronald McDonald House.
It actually sounds like saving the pop tabs would benefit them.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:23 PM
Elite Member

I wished I had seen this earlier because I dug at least 5 pulltabs today. Does it matter if they are the older or newer kinds? I recall years ago cans being at work and different businesses collecting pull tabs. Is their a website that tells where these centers are in case one is close so we don't have to mail them?

Old 11-13-2011, 06:28 PM
Elite Member

Default pull tabs

Regardless, it still gives an alternative to just throwing the pull tabs away, and gives a mindset as to you can help by recovering these "trash" items that we need to get out of the way to find the good stuff anyway.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:33 PM
Elite Member

I don't know where the centers are. We dump all of ours in a wishing well, and the lady collects them when the well is full. I suppose it holds around 10 gallons. They are donated on behalf of her daughter.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:36 PM

Nitelord, I think if you have a Ronald McDonald House in your area you can take them there and drop them off, or just keep doing the well thing since someone gets them. It doesn't seem like much but if it can help any of these kids and the families its worth it. Happy hunting!

Old 11-13-2011, 08:09 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hood77 View Post
Nitelord, I think if you have a Ronald McDonald House in your area you can take them there and drop them off, or just keep doing the well thing since someone gets them. It doesn't seem like much but if it can help any of these kids and the families its worth it. Happy hunting!
Thanks, the kids constantly remind me that we have to save them for Ruth. It's cool...