Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Hollands Brook Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Beach and Water Hunting

Old 10-25-2011, 08:39 AM

Default fort myers beach,florida

new to the forum,
been hunting fort Myers beach for a few times now,i probably have 8-10 hours in,
using a whites dual field,cant get over the depth that I get with it,i quit digging after about 14 inches,its really a great detector.
ALL I FIND IS TRASH!,maybe a coin some times,but no rings,no gold chains, no watches,nothing to write home about,
i've also been to Sanibel island a bunch of times,and also have found nothing but trash,
could they be over hunted,
any suggestions,im getting very discouraged

Old 10-25-2011, 09:13 AM

Hi and welcome to the forum.
Are you using the dual field in the water or dry sand?
I only use mine in the water or wet sand at low tide, less trash.
Due to no discrimination you'll dig lots of trash in the dry sand area with the dual field.
There are several good books on the dual field and PI machines that are worth reading.
The Shallow Water Hunting Guide To South Florida by Gary Draton (forum member) is good to start with.
Clive Clynick also has a couple of books on the PI, one is deticated to the duel field.
We all go through dry spells. Maybe your getting yours over with right away

Old 10-25-2011, 09:19 AM
Elite Member

That trash you are digging..... learn its sound. Bobbie pins... bottle caps those shallow or really deep targets that take time. If you can id just a few of them it gives you more dig time. Craig can give you much better advice than i could ever think of but thats a start ive learn that can be used with any detector. If you are using it on dry sand.... you are going to be a very busy person.

Dew

Old 10-25-2011, 10:00 AM
Elite Member

Hi and welcome. You are hunting Can Slaw Beach and it is nothing but Can Slaw from boat channels full of beer cans being dredged with that sand being pumped onto FMB. That same sand was also trucked over to the Sanibel Lighthouse beach and it is now also full of Can Slaw. However that is soon going to be all covered up. Look west and you will see the dredge pumping new sand that will put 300 yards of new sand on FMB that will cover all of the trash and any other targets for years to come.

As you know those beaches are very small compared to other beaches in the state, however Lee County probably has three times as many hunters hunting those beaches, not to mention the tourist that bring their detectors. Yes, our beaches are over hunted for the number of swimmers and size of the beach and there small parking lots.

Others will say, nobody gets it all and that is true, but it sure isn't what it use to be. If it was easy, everybody would doing it.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:35 AM
Elite Member

Learning the sounds are important. So you did everything to see what it is. With a PI I would not hunt dry sand, you'll have 100 lbs of trash in an hr. I'm not saying there is nothing there, it's just that you will be digging, digging, & digging. Hang in there it will come. Keep us posted.

And WELCOME TO THE FORUM
Rem

Old 10-25-2011, 10:43 AM
Elite Member

[QUOTE=Gobble-Gobble;981191]Learning the sounds are important.
trying to do just that

Old 10-25-2011, 10:47 AM
Elite Member

Getting your coil over good stuff, helps finding it. the more time out the more you will likely find stuff. Keep digging those holes. eventually something good will pop out...

Old 10-25-2011, 11:04 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbysdad View Post
new to the forum,
been hunting fort Myers beach for a few times now,i probably have 8-10 hours in,
using a whites dual field,cant get over the depth that I get with it,i quit digging after about 14 inches,its really a great detector.
ALL I FIND IS TRASH!,maybe a coin some times,but no rings,no gold chains, no watches,nothing to write home about,
i've also been to Sanibel island a bunch of times,and also have found nothing but trash,
could they be over hunted,
any suggestions,im getting very discouraged
Hi there, I don't know if you are new to the hobby, but I've only been in it for a short time. When I first started I saw all these guys pulling rings and clad galore. Everytime I went out I scored a few coins and lots of junk.

My first silver took over 50 hours to find and gold ring took over 100 hours to get. But once you learn the machine, get faster at recovering targets, leaving the really obvious junk and reading the beach better you WILL improve your junk to good finds ratio. Every time I go out now I get at least 1 good find and enough clad to cover my expenses.

Keep at it and you will do better. Soon we'll be seeing your posts with gold and silver.....

Old 10-25-2011, 06:25 PM
Elite Member

Welcome:
I just got back from Ft. Myers 5 minutes ago (yeah I know already on the puter) and spent my whole time detecting Sanibel. First I spent a few hours at Casa Ybel then the rest of yesterday and a good part of today at the Lighthouse beach. You're right lots of junk but with junk comes jewelry. I managed a bunch of clad and 2 rings. One is a 10K with 27 real diamonds. You just have to put in the time to get results. I put a total of 13.5 hours in the last 2 days and only scored one good ring.
BTW, I did see a guy at the Lighthouse beach today for a short period of time with a Whites dual field, was that you?
DC

Old 10-25-2011, 06:40 PM
Elite Member

Welcome to the forum.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digsalot View Post
Hi and welcome to the forum.
Are you using the dual field in the water or dry sand?
I only use mine in the water or wet sand at low tide, less trash.
Due to no discrimination you'll dig lots of trash in the dry sand area with the dual field.
There are several good books on the dual field and PI machines that are worth reading.
The Shallow Water Hunting Guide To South Florida by Gary Draton (forum member) is good to start with.
Clive Clynick also has a couple of books on the PI, one is deticated to the duel field.
We all go through dry spells. Maybe your getting yours over with right away
both wet & dry sand

Old 10-26-2011, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc426 View Post
Welcome:
I just got back from Ft. Myers 5 minutes ago (yeah I know already on the puter) and spent my whole time detecting Sanibel. First I spent a few hours at Casa Ybel then the rest of yesterday and a good part of today at the Lighthouse beach. You're right lots of junk but with junk comes jewelry. I managed a bunch of clad and 2 rings. One is a 10K with 27 real diamonds. You just have to put in the time to get results. I put a total of 13.5 hours in the last 2 days and only scored one good ring.
BTW, I did see a guy at the Lighthouse beach today for a short period of time with a Whites dual field, was that you?
DC
hey DC426
that was'nt me today,i was at barefoot beach today,i'll be the fat guy with a pocket full of trash

Old 10-26-2011, 06:37 AM

thanks for the encouragement everyone,i really needed it,your all a bunch of good guys,thanks again,see ya's out there

Old 10-26-2011, 08:35 AM
Elite Member

Welcome from PA. Sounds like you have all the access to the beaches you need. I'm sure your time will come. Keep us in mind when you hit the GOLD ring mother load... GL & HH