11@ 1807, 8 Reale Counterfeit Cache

fsa46

Forum Supporter
002-3.jpg

004-6.jpg

006-3.jpg

010-1.jpg

WOW, what a hunt. Dan & George invited me to a hunt with them yesterday and it's one I will never forget. I found these 11 , 1807, pieces of eight under a huge rock after getting a mid 70s hit at the base.

I didn't have a clue what I had found because they were in such bad shape. The fact is, I wouldn't know what they were even if they were in good shape.

When Dan came into view, I gave him a yell to come over and I placed the 11 coins on a wall. In less then 30 seconds Dan said, " I believe you found a cache of counterfeit , 8 Reale coins". To say I was thrilled would be an understatement.

So are they really real reale counterfeits? ;):lol::wow::yes:

Because, if you did find some really real reale counterfeits, that would be really, really cool!

Greg

That is a great find! Most likely the site of the counterfeiting operation so those are very likely American made coins. Keep hunting, the mold they were cast from could be close!

That's an incredible find! To think that someone went through the trouble of counterfeiting them and then hiding them is pretty amazing!

I doubt the stamp mold would close but it may be in the area. Are there any caves, especially shoreline caves? I would think that was a cache that someone skimmed from the top and stashed it at the wall for a rainy day. He probably was arrested for passing off counterfeit coins and never returned. :roll: Still a very cool find.

This was a beautiful site, very large home ( hole ) with out buildings all over the property and gourgeaus stone walls everywhere.

Being this was an invitation hunt, I told both parties I would never go there alone, they told me it would be alright but I would never do that, I just wouldn't.

However, I did tell them that it would be wise for them to check out the spot I found the coins again. I was so excited, that looking back on it, there could be many more coins UNDER the large rock ( which I never checked ). I can't wait, and sure hope they find more that were left behind. If they do, I'll surely let you know.

Any idea what type of metal they're made from? -- obviously not silver. Based on the amount of corrosion, they look more like 19th century Zincolns!

When I was a young boy,my Grandfather told me about a man he knew that made counterfit US coins. He told me that the guy became very wealthy because of it. It was common during the Great Depression (1930's) also. Very neat find. Imagine the story behind these coins.

Will the gentleman from NY that contacted me about these coins please get back to me....I deleted your email by mistake.

What an amazing find Frank!! So, would these have been counterfeited in the 19th century or later? Any way of knowing??

What an amazing find Frank!! So, would these have been counterfeited in the 19th century or later? Any way of knowing??

The hole was a 1700 - 1800 . It was truly an exciting find. To find something that was deliberately buried ( cache ) that was illegal gets the juices flowing. I would bet the plates are somewhere on the property.

I have never been back because I was invited and wouldn't do that. What surprises me more is that Dan and George have never been back either and if you notice this post is over 2 years old.

The hole was a 1700 - 1800 . It was truly an exciting find. To find something that was deliberately buried ( cache ) that was illegal gets the juices flowing. I would bet the plates are somewhere on the property.

I have never been back because I was invited and wouldn't do that. What surprises me more is that Dan and George have never been back either and if you notice this post is over 2 years old.

DOH!! I did not see that it was an older post! Blame it in Craig as he brought it back up!!;):D:laughing:

Back
Top Bottom