Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Myers Depot Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > What's the Value?

Old 10-04-2011, 04:21 PM

Default Why do Wheat Penny rolls on ebay have mercury dimes in them?

I was just searching mercury dimes on ebay, and they have lots of penny rolls with mercury dimes on the ends? why would anyone roll pennies and dimes together? Are these all just scams?

Old 10-04-2011, 04:45 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapNRon View Post
I was just searching mercury dimes on ebay, and they have lots of penny rolls with mercury dimes on the ends? why would anyone roll pennies and dimes together? Are these all just scams?
Scam or just to get people to buy. The ones that are selling know that not everyone knows the value of a mercury dime. So to these people it's a scam...and to those others who know...they buy knowing they will at least get a roll of common wheats, unsearched of course, an an old silver dime.

Personally....I like the ones with barber dimes on the ends.

Old 10-04-2011, 04:55 PM
Elite Member

so people will bid them up higher

Old 10-05-2011, 07:34 PM
Elite Member

Just searched one, first listing, picture looks like the dime was placed there as it isn't fitting in snuggly. But honestly I think that the Mercs are larger than a regular Rosie dime so they get mistaken for pennies in the sorter. Thats at least what I've heard with people who search rolls from the bank.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:41 AM
Elite Member

Sellers on ebay will try anything to get people to pay more for wheat penny rolls than they are worth. So they put a mercury dime or indian head or a three cent nickel coin on the end making people think there may be more good coins in the roll. I have been collecting coins since the 70's and before ebay no one ever put anything other than wheats in a roll of wheats.

Now there was one instance where my son in law and I were buying bags of wheat pennies from a large dealer who travels around the country setting up in hotels and advertising to buy coins in the local news paper. My son in law got one bag that had 90 silver dimes in it, mostly mercuries. A few weeks later that same dealer had for sale a commercial coin sorter and the ad said it has trouble sorting dimes from pennies.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:53 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mws_1984 View Post
But honestly I think that the Mercs are larger than a regular Rosie dime so they get mistaken for pennies in the sorter.

Nope.. same size, weight is different by about 0.23g though.

US Army - OIF/OEF Vet

Old 10-06-2011, 08:41 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlinMN View Post
Sellers on ebay will try anything to get people to pay more for wheat penny rolls than they are worth. So they put a mercury dime or indian head or a three cent nickel coin on the end making people think there may be more good coins in the roll. I have been collecting coins since the 70's and before ebay no one ever put anything other than wheats in a roll of wheats.

Now there was one instance where my son in law and I were buying bags of wheat pennies from a large dealer who travels around the country setting up in hotels and advertising to buy coins in the local news paper. My son in law got one bag that had 90 silver dimes in it, mostly mercuries. A few weeks later that same dealer had for sale a commercial coin sorter and the ad said it has trouble sorting dimes from pennies.
Isn't that his own fault, were these bags that weren't visible to see inside? You would think he would check the bags to be sure what your getting is wheaties and not silver.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:58 PM
Elite Member

because they want everyone to think they are gonna get a rare 1916 merc worth $1,500-$5,000 , but the probability is "0" its a scam!

Old 10-07-2011, 07:26 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mws_1984 View Post
Just searched one, first listing, picture looks like the dime was placed there as it isn't fitting in snuggly. But honestly I think that the Mercs are larger than a regular Rosie dime so they get mistaken for pennies in the sorter. Thats at least what I've heard with people who search rolls from the bank.
Not at all. All dime designs have the same weight and diameter except for the early 1800's bust dimes.

The dealio is these dealers on eBay have machines that wrap coins. Thus, you can pop in 49 pennies and then put the dime on the very end and have the machine wrap the roll for you. How else do you think they have so many enders? Not possible, it's just a scam, stay away

Old 10-07-2011, 07:42 PM

I was figuring that it was a scam, and I wouldn't be buying coins from ebay anyway. But there were so many like that I had to ask if they used to get mixed up during the rolling process. Thanks for all the responses. Hopefully I can find my own 1916 D and don't have to worry about purchasing one for my collection.