Cartridge casing ID help

Bobmc1968

Elite Member
I found this casing in front of our Town Hall about 7" down.
picture.php

The other end of the casing is destroyed but the diameter of the remaining brass is the same diameter as a Lake City 30-06. Can anyone tell me more about this piece?

Nice find! If that reads DEN, it is from the Denver Ordinance Plant. The number is the last two years of the date. I don't know anything about the Denver Ordinance Plant. I think this is the first time I have seen this headstamp. Nice find.

Doug

Nice find! If that reads DEN, it is from the Denver Ordinance Plant. The number is the last two years of the date. I don't know anything about the Denver Ordinance Plant. I think this is the first time I have seen this headstamp. Nice find.

Doug

Thanks for the link Doug! I figured you would be first to post on this. Love those headstamps! Lol! It does say DEN 42. The only other info I found was that that plant produced armor-piercing and incendiary rounds. Makes me wonder what the heck was going on in the center of town! :lol:

The blanks which are sometimes used ceremonially are made out of the brass casings which were rejected for live ammo; hence the headstamps are from all over. I doubt the townsfolk were shooting live ammo in the town center..but there was a movie called "the russians are coming, the russians are coming!" that took place on Cape Cod...so maybe there were Japs in Rutland ha ha

Back
Top Bottom