Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Colonial Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Research and Getting Permission

Old 03-15-2007, 12:22 AM
Co-owner

Default Arkansas State Parks (Good News)

Arkansas State Parks

In a meeting on Thursday, September 21, 2006 with the SPRTC Arkansas State Parks, Recreation & Tourism Committee it was voted unanimously to end the two year pilot program which allowed recreational metal detecting at nine of the parks under the control of the Arkansas State Parks System.

In return, it was also decided by the SPRTC that the parks system and the recreational metal community could in fact co-exist in a manner consistent with other activities controlled by the park officials. Therefore, the SPRTC voted to make it policy to allow metal detecting in nine of the state parks that were listed in the pilot program. The new policy is consistent with the rules and guidelines that governed the pilot program. The Arkansas State Parks that now allow recreational metal detecting are Crowleys Ridge, Daisy, DeGray, Lake Catherine, Lake Charles, Lake Dardanelle, Lake Ouachita, Village Creek and Woolly Hollow. Metal detecting is to be confined to swimming areas that have beaches.

As with the pilot program, metal detecting will be permitted from the day after Labor Day until the weekend preceding Memorial Day between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Sunday through Saturday. Detectorists will continue to be required to register at the park visitor center, complete a registration form and follow the same rules and procedures as have been in place during the pilot program.

The Arkoma Coin & Relic Club of Siloam Springs began working to get metal detecting allowed in the Arkansas State Parks back In 1998 and with the assistance of Mr. Greg Butts (Director of the State Parks system), we have finally reached this milestone for our hobby.

Our hobbyists can consider this a big step in overturning a state parks directive dated July 1975 which prohibited the use of metal detectors on any portion of state park property.

Jim Beyers, Secretary
Arkoma Coin & Relic Club of Siloam Springs
Siloam Springs, AR.

Friendly Forum Rules

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:01 AM
Forum Chipmunk

Default Re: Arkansas State Parks (Good News)

I'm not far from Arkansas. I'll have to check them out sometime.

Old 03-15-2007, 01:05 PM
Elite Member

Default Re: Arkansas State Parks (Good News)

Good deal I am close also

Old 06-12-2012, 07:11 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol K View Post
Arkansas State Parks

In a meeting on Thursday, September 21, 2006 with the SPRTC Arkansas State Parks, Recreation & Tourism Committee it was voted unanimously to end the two year pilot program which allowed recreational metal detecting at nine of the parks under the control of the Arkansas State Parks System.

In return, it was also decided by the SPRTC that the parks system and the recreational metal community could in fact co-exist in a manner consistent with other activities controlled by the park officials. Therefore, the SPRTC voted to make it policy to allow metal detecting in nine of the state parks that were listed in the pilot program. The new policy is consistent with the rules and guidelines that governed the pilot program. The Arkansas State Parks that now allow recreational metal detecting are Crowleys Ridge, Daisy, DeGray, Lake Catherine, Lake Charles, Lake Dardanelle, Lake Ouachita, Village Creek and Woolly Hollow. Metal detecting is to be confined to swimming areas that have beaches.

As with the pilot program, metal detecting will be permitted from the day after Labor Day until the weekend preceding Memorial Day between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Sunday through Saturday. Detectorists will continue to be required to register at the park visitor center, complete a registration form and follow the same rules and procedures as have been in place during the pilot program.

The Arkoma Coin & Relic Club of Siloam Springs began working to get metal detecting allowed in the Arkansas State Parks back In 1998 and with the assistance of Mr. Greg Butts (Director of the State Parks system), we have finally reached this milestone for our hobby.

Our hobbyists can consider this a big step in overturning a state parks directive dated July 1975 which prohibited the use of metal detectors on any portion of state park property.

Jim Beyers, Secretary
Arkoma Coin & Relic Club of Siloam Springs
Siloam Springs, AR.
anyone have information on burns park in central arkansas?

Old 06-15-2012, 10:54 PM

I would like to hunt the crater of diamonds park. Not for diamonds (alltough I did find one there ) but the coins and jewlrey left by the public as they sit on the ground looking. mabey from the miners over the years.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:59 PM
Elite Member

Default Me too

I took the kids there last year, but it hit 100 degrees and so we hit the pool

Old 06-16-2012, 08:03 AM
Elite Member

That's great news! My wife has family in the area so next time we go for a visit I may have to check out the beaches.

Fisher F70-Tesoro Tiger Shark #1-Tiger Shark#2 -Garret pin pointers x 2 - White's TRX pin pointer YTD Gold 14 Silver13

Old 06-16-2012, 08:10 AM
Elite Member

This is very good news. It’s nice to see the hobbyist win one for a change.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:49 AM

It's also very OLD news. Check the date of the first post in the thread.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:04 PM

I just came back from Lake Ouchita state park. It would have been nice to have a MD to bring with me!

Old 06-26-2012, 10:18 PM

I just came back from Lake Ouchita state park. It would have been nice to have a MD to bring with me!

Old 07-04-2012, 10:52 AM

Thumbs up A Big Thanks

Thank you for this post. I have been needing to know if metal detecting was allowed. I have been planning on going to village creek for some time. this post was a great help