Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Myers Depot Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Coinshooters and Relic Hunters

Old 06-23-2011, 01:59 AM

Default All Metal vs. Notch vs. Auto-Notch - Advice?

Hi,

Im new to metal detecting, and have a Pioneer 202. I typically am hunting in the Auto-Notch mode, which screens out most of the garbage and Im able to get pretty good readings on coins 4-8 inches down. The coins Id like to find the most are Indian Heads and of course anything w/ Lady Liberty on it.

My question is, by operating in auto-notch is it screening out certain old coins as well? Missing out on jewelry? Should I be going All-metal and digging everything? Just curious what methods you all use. Any insight or advice would be great!!

Thanks so much for the help.

CincinnatiKid

Old 06-23-2011, 06:30 AM

Default Ive had more sucess with all metal

I have a titan xd 2000 which is simmilar to your machine .... found a gold high school ring on all metal mode . it came up as a pull tab. In my opinon i would dig all till you get stress by all the garbage . then notch it

Old 06-23-2011, 07:05 AM

I have the bigger brother to your 202 & it works very similar. I test theories on my buddies back yard, that has an old foundation, which I hunt like my own and also a coin garden.

So here is what I've learned:

1. Auto Notch: I use this only if I'm "cherry picking" a site or the hunt is about over and I'm looking for another good target or two.

2. Notch: I will notch out nails & will investigate ALL signals above it. If the target is "iffy", hit the discrimination button again to accept all targets and swing slow.

3. All Metal: This is where the 202 and 505 differ. The 505 has an all metal mode that sounds louder as you get near a target. The 202's all metal mode is the Discrimination mode with the discrimination knob turned the whole way to the left to accept all metal.

Basically, I hunt in Discrimination mode with the discrimination knob the whole way to the left. Why? I hunt nail infested sites and to extract good targets next to nails requires you to hear every signal. On our models, there is a little lag if you notch something out. I found a large cent two weeks ago that had an iron nail laying on it. The signal was mostly iron, but would occasionally hit at pull tab so I dug it to my surprise

Go slow in target rich areas and also try the 4" coil for better separation. I found a large button last night under a piece of wire. The 8" coil missed it.

I hope this helps you.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:22 AM
Elite Member

Good question. I have a BH505, I tried auto notch and notch, but really have not tried them too much. I just stick to all discrimination mode, and turn all sensitivity very high to hear everything, and then turn discrimination knob accordingly , if there is a lot of iron, I turn it up a little to not see iron as much, if there is no iron I let it go for all iron. I just don't trust notch and auto notch modes yet. But I like the machine and found good coins. HH

Old 06-23-2011, 07:49 AM
Moved On

I wrote this one for Bounty Hunter machines. The first couple of machines I had were by them.
Attached Images

Old 06-23-2011, 07:52 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincinnatiKid View Post
Hi,

Im new to metal detecting, and have a Pioneer 202. I typically am hunting in the Auto-Notch mode, which screens out most of the garbage and Im able to get pretty good readings on coins 4-8 inches down. The coins Id like to find the most are Indian Heads and of course anything w/ Lady Liberty on it.

My question is, by operating in auto-notch is it screening out certain old coins as well? Missing out on jewelry? Should I be going All-metal and digging everything? Just curious what methods you all use. Any insight or advice would be great!!

CincinnatiKid
I never cared for all metal and used notch the most. Throw a nickle down and after you pick that up turn the disc down a hair more. Liberty nickles read lower than modern ones.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:57 AM
Moved On

Strangely enough today I am taking a Tracker IV to work and giving it to a co-worker to take home and try out. She always wanted to try metal detecting and her boys been pestering her for some time now for one. I figure to let it go real cheap and free up the storage a bit.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:12 AM
Elite Member

Location: KANSAS.. by way of Metro Detroit, Tampa Bay and Alabama

Quote:
Hi,

CincinnatiKid

Use any disc and you will lose some depth compared to all metal.
Gold can come up anywhere from iron to zinc.

Indian heads will usually hit as a zinc signal, not copper, so if you are notching out that area, you won't find any of these.
Evidently, auto-notch on a 202 cuts out screw-on bottle caps.
On my detectors, these things can come in as zinc.
Be a little more selective in your notching to find those Indians, or just tell me where you hunt and I can come in behind you with way less disc and if they are there, I will find them.
I'll show them to you...but I will definitely keep them for my collection

I keep posting the picture below from a White's machine because I think a lot of people don't really understand where metal signals come in in the real world.
The VDI #'s might be different on different machines, but this is the range where different metals live.
Attached Images

Old 06-23-2011, 12:20 PM

This is very helpful. Thanks for all of the great tips!

Old 06-23-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernlegend1 View Post
I never cared for all metal and used notch the most. Throw a nickle down and after you pick that up turn the disc down a hair more. Liberty nickles read lower than modern ones.

I too have the Pioneer 505 and agree with Western. You have to be sure your getting the nickles because in Autonotch I have found that I DO NOT pick up nickles which is not good because gold can be confused for nickles and you dont want to miss that.

Old 06-24-2011, 07:10 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Hi,

CincinnatiKid
What is most of the garbage.Dont trust them.I know.Only in really bad areas use disc.The Fisher F5 which is gone now told me the large cent I found was a pull tab.