Minelab Safari in the wet sand goes deep. (pictures)

yomero

during the day in Ventura CA, in Fillmore CA in th
On memorial day I went to the beach to give another try to my Safari in the wet sand during a mid low tide,
I discovered that the Safari can find very deep targets as 14 to 17 inches deep when you swing it very slow,
if you get what may sound like a false signal with a solid number
go back and pass the coil a few times at a much lower speed, if you get weak signal again or at least one more time place the coil steady at least 10 inches away from were the target is and press the pinpoint button, and move it to the target to pinpoint the target and get ready to dig dip deep and remove rocks below the sand,

my settings; sensitivity to 20, low iron, at threshold were you can barely hear it.

I had read that the Infinium LS is the deepest machine in the salt water wet sand, but I never diged for anything that deep with my infinium.

at the beginning I was swinging kind of fast and only found the much lighter aluminum junk,
I have seen couple of times a guy with a sovereign GT and WOT coil swinging fast and covering a lot of land,
I can tell he was only catching the shallow targets,
I didn't find any gold but I was happy to find out how deep the safari goes,
let me tell you that you will have to take a big and heavy duty stainless steel sand scoop like mine or a shovel, if the target shows deep like in the picture of the safari display bellow be prepared to dig.

chuckee's golden coin, I had a hard time on this one because so many rocks under the sand I believe it was at abut 16 inches
picture.php

I found the aluminum junk sallow wile swinging kind of fast and after I slowed then started getting week signal from the coins, keys, and heaver stuff, I didn't cover large area, no gold yet.

picture.php

a very weak signal and number 40 give me the smaller key in the picture I had to dig about 15 inches in the sand in a bunch pebbles in rocks inches to get it out.

picture.php

my sand scoop next to a measuring tape in inches.

picture.php

scoop in were I diging for the smaller key just to give you an idea of the dept,
it was deeper,
picture.php

Very nice, glad to hear your report, well done. It is really amazing what some of these minelabs will hit on and how deep they can be. I'm always amazed by my sov gt's ability to hit deep on a target next to a piece of rusty junk... Good job!

Very nice, glad to hear your report, well done. It is really amazing what some of these minelabs will hit on and how deep they can be. I'm always amazed by my sov gt's ability to hit deep on a target next to a piece of rusty junk... Good job!
thanks for the comments,

I also have the sovereign GT with the tornado 1000 and the 15"WOT and I can tell you that the Safari goes deeper,
for the wet sand I prefer the tornado on the GT, it goes deeper then the WOT, you have to lower the sensitivity with the WOT to avoid falsing and you loose dept.

Thank you so much for the information, I have only had my Safari for about 2 to 3 months. I will be trying these settings out and the slow motion on my next outing. Thanks again.:goodjob::goodpost:

Thank you so much for the information, I have only had my Safari for about 2 to 3 months. I will be trying these settings out and the slow motion on my next outing. Thanks again.:goodjob::goodpost:
sure, if you are not sure and the signal appears to be too weak, remove some sand with your foot like an inch or two wide area and re-scan it with the coil.

the safari has very slow recovery.

Nice digs and nice scoop, mine is on the way!
Yea! I got my scoop from ebay, the square redwood stick 1.5"x1.5" x 36" from Lowes, I rounded one end with a knife damped the stick with 15-40W motor oil and put it in the sun for a day to get it hot and the oil penetrated the wood, dried the excess oil and the drilled holes and used brass hardware bolts from Lowes also.

Attachments

• scoop2.JPG
    scoop2.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 2,480
Yea! I got my scoop from ebay, the square redwood stick 1.5"x1.5" x 36" from Lowes, I rounded one end with a knife damped the stick with 15-40W motor oil and put it in the sun for a day to get it hot and the oil penetrated the wood, dried the excess oil and the drilled holes and used brass hardware bolts from Lowes also.

Cool, I found the 4 foot post hole digger handle at ace already lacquered. Its sitting in the garage patiently waiting for its female counterpart. I was kinda worried it might be too short but I see yours is 3 feet. How tall are you?

You're right the Safari goes deep but has a slow recovery. I assume you were using the stock coil..? I used my 6x8 sef and can get stuff at 10+ inches, stock coil even more. I just wish the control box was waterproof, gotta be careful near rolling surf.

You're right the Safari goes deep but has a slow recovery. I assume you were using the stock coil..? I used my 6x8 sef and can get stuff at 10+ inches, stock coil even more. I just wish the control box was waterproof, gotta be careful near rolling surf.
yes, and the price is detecting way too deep,
today I went for about 30 minutes after work and dug for a piece of a car key, a nickle, a pieces of aluminum,
I give up on two targets way too deep with many rocks and on the last one I remember that somebody said not to give up because it could be that huge gold bracelet and dug this huge hole, to find a f.../n spoon that at least was at over 20 inches or more,
a wave partially covered the hole,
the spoon is on top of the scoop.
picture.php

Its good to hear how awesome the safari is! I hope you find some GOLD at the beach, Happy Hunting!:yes:
thanks.:waytogo:

Suggestion for your scoop

when you attach your wooden handle to your scoop I would suggest only using 1 bolt near the bottom. I have found that the hole in the handle near the top of the basket is where the handle will break almost 100% of the time.

this is meant as a friendly suggestion not criticizism!

Nice pictures and a good post.

Steve :-)

Back
Top Bottom