Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Hollands Brook Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Research and Getting Permission

Old 04-20-2011, 01:39 PM
Elite Member

Default Lake Michigan in Chicago

Anybody from Chicago know if you can metal detect at the beach? Thank you for your time.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:12 PM
Elite Member

Yes you can! You just have to bribe the right people.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:32 AM

Yes you can, no bribes needed. I believe also (someone can correct me if I'm wrong) Chicago city parks are open areas too. Forest preserves are a no-no.

Hard part with the beach is finding free or reasonable parking near the well visited beaches.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:28 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssparky View Post
Yes you can, no bribes needed. I believe also (someone can correct me if I'm wrong) Chicago city parks are open areas too. Forest preserves are a no-no.

Hard part with the beach is finding free or reasonable parking near the well visited beaches.
Thank you. I plan on taking the metra out there this summer or maybe before the summer so it won't be crowded. And do the beaches need to be open to metal detect?

Old 04-21-2011, 11:58 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssparky View Post

Cook county forest preserve you can hunt, DuPage forest preserve no-no.

Ace 250/Pro pinpointer,Totals 2012:213 silver coins, 13 silver jewelry, 3 gold rings.

Old 04-22-2011, 12:34 AM

I was at a Chicago beach a week ago, it was not open (in which you could park in the beach lot), but I was able to metal detect and had no problems. As someone else mentioned, parking (if you park) is an issue and costly.

Old 04-22-2011, 01:17 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kseps1983 View Post
I was at a Chicago beach a week ago, it was not open (in which you could park in the beach lot), but I was able to metal detect and had no problems. As someone else mentioned, parking (if you park) is an issue and costly.
last time I parked, I had to get married..........................

Old 04-22-2011, 05:04 AM

Just go when it's snowing!

Look up "Chicago Ron" on You Tube, he makes some awesome finds!

Beeping...Why is it Beeping!~~Not Another Beer Can!!

Old 04-24-2011, 08:18 AM
Elite Member

Does anybody know of any good forest preserves in cook county to go metal detecting at?

Old 05-16-2011, 05:22 AM

Yes, Lake Michigan beaches in Chicago are detectable. You will be disc'ing a good bit. I've had a bit of luck putting the waterproof coil to work about ankle deep.

Depending on where you go, though, be very careful.
There have been some *serious* crime issues on the city beaches and along the lakefront that have gone unreported in the news media. A good source for unfiltered information about the goings-on in the city is the Second City Cop blog..

Most of the crime involves large hordes of black kids attacking people. Some of it is ordinary robbery/snatching, some of it involves beatings for the sake of beatings, an older couple got accosted and thrown into the lake a few days ago by a group of 50-100 of them. A lone guy or two swinging MDs would be a prime target for these clowns.

Definitely not saying this to scare people off, but I'm a very large and potentially intimidating guy and even I had troubles down there a few weeks ago. There were 6 of them, one of me and they wanted trouble. I recognized it as a situation where I would've certainly gotten shot. I got out of there OK (and didn't bother reporting it) but I won't be going back.

The police are doing what they can- I was down there MD'ing last year and even had a good chat with a Chicago Officer about MD'ing. He was interested in the hobby for him and his son- but since Chicago is a no concealed carry city, the good people have no choice but to abandon these places, or run the risk of a serious encounter with the anti-social ghetto twats who are ruining the city. I've chosen to abandon and MD elsewhere.

Rant over.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:39 AM

Practice your Lesche throwing skills. You'll be good.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:19 AM
Elite Member

I know how it is in chicago. They are crazy over there, someone will kill you for a dollar, or just by being in the way. What really surprise me was on the L-track, when it wAs late at night and some of the drunk people or homeless who pass out on the train, got there pockets cut open for they can steal there money. One time I was in chicago, and had a nice watch on. I was on the Red line and someone try to pull my watch off my hand. I got to see a lot of women get there purses get snatch. Even in down town there is a lot of crime.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:23 AM

Not to bump an old post, but quite relevant...

For some reason I'll never, ever understand, the Media is completely failing to report what's really happening on Chicago beaches. This past weekend, the beaches had to be shut down due to significant ghetto behavior... the thing is, they reported it as "heat related issues..."

http://www.suntimes.com/5684211-417/...ated-illnesses

Totally not true. Read the comments. It was robberies, beatings, fights...

Unfortunately, Chicago is rapidly crossing that tipping point where the good people are so outnumbered by the anti-social, mentally retarded ghetto element that the few hold outs who remain have no choice but to leave, hastening the vaccuum.

The reason I say this is because if you had been down there swinging a MD that day, you would've most certainlly had a very rough go.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:17 AM

If you go a little farther south into Indiana, the dunes are eligable for MD'ing, but you need to get a ranger's permission first.

Old 06-04-2011, 03:38 PM

Sorry to here about your encounter, unfortunately the LameStream media is good for noting.
How about going really early in the morning before the turds come out of their drug educed coma's?
Hope things improve for your area.
I'd be carrying anyways, jail is better than the alternative.

Beeping...Why is it Beeping!~~Not Another Beer Can!!

Old 06-10-2011, 06:34 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSM View Post
Not to bump an old post, but quite relevant...

For some reason I'll never, ever understand, the Media is completely failing to report what's really happening on Chicago beaches. This past weekend, the beaches had to be shut down due to significant ghetto behavior... the thing is, they reported it as "heat related issues..."

http://www.suntimes.com/5684211-417/...ated-illnesses

Totally not true. Read the comments. It was robberies, beatings, fights...

Unfortunately, Chicago is rapidly crossing that tipping point where the good people are so outnumbered by the anti-social, mentally retarded ghetto element that the few hold outs who remain have no choice but to leave, hastening the vaccuum.

The reason I say this is because if you had been down there swinging a MD that day, you would've most certainlly had a very rough go.
Thanks for the info. It good to know the truth.