Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Deteknix
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Find a Hunting Buddy

Old 12-19-2011, 07:48 AM
Supporter

Unhappy

The ground was not frozen... Another couple days of these temperatures should fix that though

I love the Game of Tones!

Old 12-19-2011, 10:55 AM
Supporter

Hi
The ground wasn't frozen, we can still keep on detecting!
Happy Hunting
Gary

Old 12-19-2011, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by walt12524 View post
It was nice meeting and hunting with Peg. She is one determined detectorist and she will do well in the hobby. HH

My best find of the day was a 1936 wheaty. I look forward to meeting more of the dutchess county group. Probably atleast one more this Sunday.

I don't know if everyone is aware of this group http://www.greattreasure.com/index.html but they have a ton of information about the hudson valley and beyond. At this time my work schedule makes it difficult to join them but in the near future when my schedule changes I will be a part of the club.
Same here Walt. I had my camera and meant to take a pic of your pouch of loot! I took a pic of what I found and went back the next day, the weather was great! Thanks for the tip about my swing. It was too high and not level. Geesh, it's not golf Peg!! I put my pics on "Finds" and my page. Just couldn't make it Sunday, this holiday stuff puts a crunch on time. Can't wait until it's behind me....but, I will bring my MD on the road when visiting the family on L.I...hey, you never know!
Glad you guys had decent ground conditions to hunt in! and thanks for organizing GKman! .

Old 12-19-2011, 03:53 PM
Supporter

Whoops,sorry about that duplicate post. I didn't realize that we had rolled over to a new page. I look forward to organizing another group hunt.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:06 PM

I enjoyed the hunt with GKman on Sunday, though it was a bit chilly. I look forward towards the next hunt and hopefully the ground isn't frozen, it looks like its going to warm up a bit this week

And Peg your welcome, and I have another suggestion if you are interested, just pm me.

Walt

Old 12-19-2011, 10:18 PM

Default New paltz here I come

I'll be in new paltz this weekend and hope to get one more hunt in. I have family there and a pretty sweet spot to hunt if anyone is interested. That is if the weather holds out for me. Anyone out there using the minelab safari??? I'm thinking about buying one this winter.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:32 PM

I pulled an 1800 large cent from there over thanksgiving!!!! Oldest, coolest find yet

Old 12-19-2011, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Au Quest View post
I'll be in new paltz this weekend and hope to get one more hunt in. I have family there and a pretty sweet spot to hunt if anyone is interested. That is if the weather holds out for me.
I am interested if I don't have to work. I'm 20 minutes from New Paltz. Shoot me a PM if your hunt is on.

-Doug

Old 12-20-2011, 08:27 AM
Supporter

Hi Au
I am interested in joining you for a hunt. Let me know what day you are thinking.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:07 PM
Supporter

Default 1739 Farm House Hunt

Went out this morning. I can't believe these temperatures.. I recovered a nice buckle, a button with shank intact, two wheats and a large cent. I can tell it's a matron head but not a date....
http://metaldetectingforum.com/album...ictureid=28531
Wish the treasure hunting season didn't have to end.
Happy Hunting

Old 12-21-2011, 09:19 PM

Default E track

So what do you think of the e track. All I have ever used is whites. I'm using a new coin master now, comparable to the garret ace 250 but am thinking about upgrading to a minelab safari or an e track

Old 12-22-2011, 05:37 PM

What's up!

I live right in Wappingers near the New Hamburg Train Station and I also have a buddy from Beacon I tend to go with.

I could use a group hunt and some motivation a lot of long hunts with nothing to show is killing my interest I need to get back out there asap!

Anyone going soon?

Watch for ticks I hit the woods behind my house and found several ticks on me (just 2-3 weeks ago).

Old 12-22-2011, 07:36 PM
Supporter

Default E-Trac

So what do you think of the e track. All I have ever used is whites. I'm using a new coin master now, comparable to the garret ace 250 but am thinking about upgrading to a minelab safari or an e track
Hi Au
I am satisfied with it. I have been using Minelab units for years now and have a lot to show for it. If I was in a market for a new detector I would search some of the forums for posts like "Whites compared to Minelab"

A good example of what the E-trac has done for me is that I went out this evening during my lunch hour and found 7 quarters, 5 pennies, 2 dimes and 2 nickles in forty minutes, but they were all clad

Wouldn't it be nice if we could see a really good side by side comparison of all the manufacturers flagship models? I picture four or five treasure hunters and four or five top of the line detectors all checking each others targets before they are recovered.

One thing I would mention is that I bought my detector for $950 used, compared to the $1500-1700 the shops are asking for as a package price. Mine was only five months old and came with just about everything the original package did plus a pair of Killer B Wasps which I was able to sell for $75. Also, Minelab now lets you transfer the warranty so it's hard to lose.
Happy Hunting...
Gary

Old 12-22-2011, 07:41 PM
Supporter

Hi SirReal
I bet someone is going soon as long as the weather holds out. However, being the holidays it may be tough to get the time away from the family for too long. I may be available Monday or Tuesday for a short hunt of a couple hours....Let me know if you are interested.
Gary

Old 12-23-2011, 10:07 PM

Default Green Christmas

Just got to New Paltz. Going hunting in a new spot tomorrow. If it pans out I'll maybe set up a hunt for Monday if anyone is looking to go after Christmas

Old 12-24-2011, 02:56 PM

I'd like to join you, as long as its not to early.

Old 12-24-2011, 07:30 PM

Just got to New Paltz. Going hunting in a new spot tomorrow. If it pans out I'll maybe set up a hunt for Monday if anyone is looking to go after Christmas
just wondering if you made it out for a hunt today. if so, how was the new spot?

Old 12-24-2011, 09:51 PM

Default Thumbs down

Big thumbs down on the new spot. Ground conditions were great though. Moving back to my old standby tomorrow after presents and such. Nothing says xmas like swinging a coil after the kiddies open all of their presents. Hopefully I'll find something worth posting

Old 12-27-2011, 08:36 AM
Supporter

Default Still detecting....

Yesterday afternoon I went out for a couple hours. It's an old farmhouse that I have ben detecting for several years now with fantastic results. But yesterday the farm wasn't giving in to my efforts to discover any more hidden treasure. That is fine though, it was just nice to be out there.

Old 01-02-2012, 05:09 PM
Supporter

Default Old farmhouse hunt

Went out today to an old farmhouse I have detected numerous times. Found a nice lantern burner,a few more wheats and two matchbox cars... Wish the season didn't have to end.