Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Quality Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Find a Hunting Buddy

Old 10-21-2011, 03:49 AM

Hi guys, I didn't realize there were so many of us in this area. I've only ran into a couple detectorists in my travels. I live in Middletown and have been detecting for three years now. I am so addicted its not funny. I run a Garrett AT Pro which I got for Christmas and an Ace 250 which got me started. They have paid for themselves several times over. I wish I could get over to that side of the river more often. There are some really good spots over there. I used to live in Beacon.

If you guys ever set up a group hunt, drop me a P.M. I'll try to make it.

HH,

DS

Old 11-06-2011, 08:36 AM

Walt, if you guys wanted to get together sometime that would be nice. It's starting to get quite cold around here lately, but I'm almost always up for a weekend hunt.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:52 AM

Add each other to your "Friends" list for starters. The season is getting late up here but not too late to Group together, chat during the Winter and get the ball going again for when Spring arrives. For folks still trying to figure out the forum ,got to check the upper right hand of this page to see if you have a message from a local member.
If weather permits, hope to meet up w/Walt on Tuesday, he's been dying to hit my town park!!

Old 12-12-2011, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by GoldenEagle View post
Walt, if you guys wanted to get together sometime that would be nice. It's starting to get quite cold around here lately, but I'm almost always up for a weekend hunt.
count me in for a weekend hunt. I'm in Pine Bush, NY.

-Doug

Old 12-12-2011, 08:35 AM

hey guys lets just get together and do a hunt if somebody knows of a place we meet thanks

Old 12-12-2011, 10:26 AM
Supporter

I have a park here in Poughkeepsie that I am still finding Wheat cents. So I am sure there is silver. We don't have much time though considering the weather outlook and the ground is getting pretty hard. Is anyone interested in doing a hunt there? All are welcome....
Gary

Old 12-12-2011, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by GKman View post
I have a park here in Poughkeepsie that I am still finding Wheat cents. So I am sure there is silver. We don't have much time though considering the weather outlook and the ground is getting pretty hard. Is anyone interested in doing a hunt there? All are welcome....
Gary
Hi Gary,

I'm in for a hunt in Pok. Name the date/time.

-Doug

Old 12-12-2011, 10:40 AM

Maybe if you send a private message of where and what time you can meet, those who are not sure about being available or not, can hop on board last minute.
Anyone go to Bowdoin Park?
I did a quick late afternoon visit just before dark, found a few cents.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:58 AM

I was considering detecting at Bowdoin park. I've been there before, but that was before I was into metal detecting.

The only history about the park that I could find is here:
http://www.nynjctbotany.org/lgtofc/nybowdon.html

Old 12-12-2011, 11:11 AM

There a quite a few different areas there at Bowdoin. Lots of outdoor concerts, family picnics, a few small playgrounds (that's where I went, I was sure I'd find a few fast coins, Yep!) It gets very packed for the Summer concerts, 4th of July and other events. Sometimes hard to find a place to put your blanket. So, got to be a hot spot even if it's been gone over with a MD before.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:52 PM
Supporter

Great! I am thinking early this Sunday may be a possibility... If the ground stays thawed but.. I am not feeling too warm and fuzzy about that. I am working on getting some historical information/pictures on this park since it is one of the older ones in the area and has even been the site of a presidential speech in the early part of last century. I should have that info later this week. But.. that weather is going to make it iffy..Is everyone here more of a weekend or weekday availability?

I love the Game of Tones!

Old 12-13-2011, 12:41 AM

Hi everyone, is anyone interested in a ghost town? Here is a link
http://selfsufficienturbanite.blogsp...tterville.html
It has been detected before however I think it would be cool to do.

Old 12-13-2011, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by GKman View post
Great! I am thinking early this Sunday may be a possibility... If the ground stays thawed but.. I am not feeling too warm and fuzzy about that. I am working on getting some historical information/pictures on this park since it is one of the older ones in the area and has even been the site of a presidential speech in the early part of last century. I should have that info later this week. But.. that weather is going to make it iffy..Is everyone here more of a weekend or weekday availability?
The weekends are better for me, but I work 2nd shift, so a 'before work' hunt would be possible too.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:28 AM
Supporter

Potterville sounds cool but being state land it may be a quick way to get arrested for detecting. I know that some officers may turn a blind eye to that type of activity, but I would rather not test my luck.

About eighteen years ago I tried to take the legal route in order to detect some state land. I visited the DEC offices at Stony Kill explained what I wanted to do "detect old homestead" filled out forms, answered questions, had a meeting with a local official, the official and I crossed our fingers and we sent it off to Albany for review. Lo and behold it was denied since I was not a professional archaeologist and there was something about having no endorsement from a local historical society. So that was the end of that
I understand now that there are truly thousands of undetected sites in our area with lost treasures just waiting to be discovered. Even if they were detected before there is always something more to found. All we need to do is ask permission to detect them. As of right now I can pick and choose every day which site from the 1800's or 1700's I want to visit and that is simply because I talked to the owner. Each of these site has at the least given up some wheat cents with others giving up large cent after large cent from the 1790's and later...
When I am at work I have access to local parks and other places that I have permission to detect which have yielded Wheats and silver.

Last edited by GKman; 12-13-2011 at 08:12 AM. Reason: added words

Old 12-13-2011, 08:23 PM
Supporter

Default Sunday Morning Hunt

If anyone is interested I could host a Sunday morning hunt in Poughkeepsie. I have found no silver at this park (yet) but I am sure there is some since I have found many wheat cents there in a short period of time. If you are interested please PM me and we can finalize from there. As I mentioned before this park used to be very popular in the early part of last century so there is bound to be goodies left.
Gary

Old 12-13-2011, 10:42 PM

,Hey guys, I'm over in Shokan, headed to Florida in February but would love to meet up with some folks to hunt. Keep in a loop here. Scott

Old 12-14-2011, 01:47 PM

It was nice meeting and hunting with Peg. She is one determined detectorist and she will do well in the hobby. HH

My best find of the day was a 1936 wheaty. I look forward to meeting more of the dutchess county group. Probably atleast one more this Sunday.

I don't know if everyone is aware of this group http://www.greattreasure.com/index.html but they have a ton of information about the hudson valley and beyond. At this time my work schedule makes it difficult to join them but in the near future when my schedule changes I will be a part of the club.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:27 PM

Here is more information about permits needed to hunt in parks
http://www.greattreasure.com/id4.html

Old 12-18-2011, 04:33 PM
Supporter

Default The park hunt

Walt and I met up this morning for a couple hours of detecting. It was a brisk morning with temperatures only about 20 when I arrived at 9:00 but the ground was still not frozen a bit.
Just before Walt arrived I found a 1919 Mercury and that was to be the highlight of my days finds. In the end we both recovered a Wheat cent a piece and I found another fifteen coins.
I look forward to a bit warmer weather and another hunt with Walt and hopefully others.

You can see a picture of the Silver in my photo album...
http://metaldetectingforum.com/album...ictureid=28450

Old 12-18-2011, 10:34 PM

glad to hear you made it out today. was the ground frozen?