• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Penny with no Date

James Huffman

Hello all. Going thru my stash of random coins, I found one penny I put in there that I forgot to ask about. A penny that seems to have no date stamped. The rest of the face side is really clear, as is the back. The date is just missing. No scrapes or any damage just no date. Anyhting to this penny? Sorry no pic but my wife has the camera and she is down in Fl visiting her parents. Thanks in advance!

I will go hunt down the old camera in my junk drawer. If I find it I will post some pics! If not then the pics will Come next week when the wife gets back.

Cool, I found the old camera and I didn't think I even had it anymore. Could that be called an MD find:?: :lol: :lol: Here are the pics!

Attachments

• 101_0044.jpg
    101_0044.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 4,934
  • 101_0045.jpg
    101_0045.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 4,722
Looks like you might have a keeper there unless someone ground off the date......

Dusty

Dusty, the area where the date should be is completely smooth, just like the area where nothing should be stamped. Could it have been ground off while leaving no mark?

That is odd. Can you tell if it's a zinc or a copper (which I think can be done by weight)? I would think a zincoln might be a little harder to grind off a date without showing the evidence, but I could be completely wrong of course.

That is odd. Can you tell if it's a zinc or a copper (which I think can be done by weight)? I would think a zincoln might be a little harder to grind off a date without showing the evidence, but I could be completely wrong of course.

You asked a great question as I do have a digital scale. It is a zincoln. Weighing in at a wopping 2.5 grams. Comparred to a 3.1 for a copper penny.

Kenosha, I think you nailed it, thanks! Is their any value in it or is it worth one cent? Or in the case of a zincoln, 0.006 cent with melt value?

I've seen ones with no date from being off center selling in the $2.00-$10.00 range, depending on the percentage off center. I really have no idea what yours would be worth. I'd say more than any modern day off center one.

Try asking in a few of the coin forums, especially the one with the other no date posted and get a general idea to the value.

That is most likely from a grease filled die. Try throwing on ebay...I've seen some interest on there for some types of pennies like that.

By the way, a "cud", is actually extra metal from a broken die. It is only found on the edge or rim of the coin inward. Anything else extra on a coin would be a "die chip". Try googling those, you can't find some really cool pictures of example of these....and some people do collect them!

Back
Top Bottom