Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Quality metal detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > How to Use Your Metal Detector

Old 01-05-2011, 04:07 AM

Default Is metal detecting worth it?

Hey all. I'm a newbie. I was wondering what keeps you going. Alot of you out there spend $500 on equipment and you will never find $500 worth of finds. Is it the thrill that the next thing could be a 24k bar? is it the history behind coins? Is it that you are uncovering the past? I want to convince myself that it's good enough to spend a few $$ to find less than what I paid for my equipment.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:11 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurdochBaines View Post
Hey all. I'm a newbie. I was wondering what keeps you going. Alot of you out there spend $500 on equipment and you will never find $500 worth of finds. Is it the thrill that the next thing could be a 24k bar? is it the history behind coins? Is it that you are uncovering the past? I want to convince myself that it's good enough to spend a few $$ to find less than what I paid for my equipment.
I paid 500 dollars for my ice hockey skates, 1200 for my snowboard, 2,000 for my paintball gun setup and all of those hobbies cost me money even after buying the equipment. Metal detecting is the only hobby which is not only free but makes me money. Even if I do not find enough to pay off my machine its still fun. Chances are if you detect often and buy a high end machine which you take the time to learn you will make your money back.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:39 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
You make it sound like the point of hobbies is to make back the money you shelled out in order to do the hobby in the first place... To me it's kind of like fishing in that you just never know what you're going to get and there's always the chance of hooking (or finding) something really special...and there's no way I've caught enough fish to pay for all my fishing gear! I also really enjoy being outdoors and of course finding old coins and jewelry! If your motivation is simply to pay off your gear it probably isn't the hobby for you.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:48 AM

Default had to laugh

Hey Stewart, you're so right.

But I just can't stop the urge to say that I paid for my equipment in 6 months!

Old 01-05-2011, 04:50 AM
Elite Member

Never find $500... most avid hobbyists are making more than $100 per year... seems reasonable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

US Army - OIF/OEF Vet

Old 01-05-2011, 04:59 AM
Elite Member

I used to blow more than that on partying and had absolutely nothing to show for it so yeah, I've spent over $1000 on detecting and if I find a quarter it's worth it. It's not so much about the finds as it is about getting out and doing something. For me it's relaxing.

{Infinium LS, Sovereign GT}

Old 01-05-2011, 05:19 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
If youre going to look upon it as a task and and an economic proposition dont even bother.Those who buy equipment hoping to clean the countryside of coins usually have their gear on Ebay in no time.If your not fascinated with history,coins and having the joy of holding in your hand something that comes from "another world" timewise I mean then forget it,because you wont stick at it during bad times of little/no finds.I love to be outdoors when Im off as Im stuck in a hot kitchen at work so thats another bonus.Evaluate what you want from the HOBBY because thats what it is.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:24 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueonceagain View Post
If youre going to look upon it as a task and and an economic proposition dont even bother.Those who buy equipment hoping to clean the countryside of coins usually have their gear on Ebay in no time.If your not fascinated with history,coins and having the joy of holding in your hand something that comes from "another world" timewise I mean then forget it,because you wont stick at it during bad times of little/no finds.I love to be outdoors when Im off as Im stuck in a hot kitchen at work so thats another bonus.Evaluate what you want from the HOBBY because thats what it is.
Unless its a meteorite he finds then it comes from another world literally.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:51 AM
Elite Member

Location: KANSAS.. by way of Metro Detroit, Tampa Bay and Alabama

Quote:
Hey all. I'm a newbie. I was wondering what keeps you going.

I want to convince myself that it's good enough to spend a few $$ to find less than what I paid for my equipment.

These two statements say it all...
Most people that try this get it...a few don't.

That's fine, this hobby is not for everyone.

If you haven't bought any equipment yet, don't bother.
Take the money and speculate in the stock or bond market...you will be much happier.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:50 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Lets see... some will and some won't... when I started beach hunting 6 years ago I found 52 gold rings my first year of water hunting so yeah if you put in the time you can make your money back but don't look to get rich otherwise we could all quit our jobs and do this This is my hobby... I enjoy it when I have the time to get out... whether it be a gold ring or a pouch of coins and pulltabs its getting out and enjoying the thrill of the discovery that keeps me in the hunt... I also enjoy the research learning about this history of each site I hunt...

Connecticut

Old 01-05-2011, 07:06 AM

Quote:
I don't know about others this is the reason I search.

Why We Search

Why do we swing the coil
As we walk along the grass
Back and fro as a pendulum
As we make our careful pass

Is it to find untold riches
To make our searching pay
Or simply to uncover things
Brought back to light of day

Our treasures are not of a kind
The world would seek to grasp
We seek only to enrich this day
By preserving things long past

©Tony Mantia 2009

Old 01-05-2011, 07:50 AM

I'm new too. You don't need to spend $500 on a metal detector. I know for a fact that my Christmas present was under $100 w/ shipping. I've only been out 3 times, but it has been a blast. Yes, even with a cheaper metal detector you will find stuff and have fun.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:03 AM

it's a cheap ánd exciting way to spend some time in beautifull nature and relax by forgetting dayly slumberings.
what's worth more???

Old 01-05-2011, 09:02 AM
Elite Member

If you mean is it as lucrative as golf, maybe hunting, fishing, bowling or any other myriad of hobbies......? Absolutely. If you're expecting to get rich or make "your interests" pay for themselves, get a job. Otherwise, welcome to a great hobby.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:04 AM
Elite Member

Metal detecting is all about having fun looking for the past. Monetary value is only icing on the cake. Nothing more exciting than pulling a bit of history out of the ground. Below are some examples of the fun I found just last year alone.

Of course, it makes no difference to me that all the fun I had finding this also has a bit of monetary value as well.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:15 AM
Elite Member

If you go out and try it and you aren't addicted on your first outting, then drop the detector and get a different hobby. You either just get it or you don't. I've never seen anyone metal detect with only a mild interest.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:28 AM

yeah sometimes you find something with some value. a nice aspect of this hobby.
but if you calculate the profit by hour (profit/hunthours), even the worst payed work is more interesting
it will never be a job, it is and always will be a hobby.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:30 AM
Elite Member

I put 3 1/2 hours yesterday of my time, money (battery power) and
muscle to find $23 dollars melt value of gold.

A part time job in the same time would have paid me more and I wouldn't
be all achy all over after the job and there wouldn't be sand in my pockets
and in the box of raisins I brought to the beach.

And yes, there are part time jobs you can do outdoors. Go for it!

Old 01-05-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Like anything else in the world you get out of it what you put into it... If you hardly ever go out and hunt your not going to ever pay for your detector.. On the other hand if you get out there and see what you can find you could easily pay for a detector in just 1 day.. (if you get lucky)

If your not willing to spend the time to go out and hunt then this hobby just isn't for you..

FYI.. I know of a guy who in just 3-4 years has found enough rings etc to be able to buy 3 brand new 1000$ detectors... But then again.. He is down on the Beach every single day 3-5 hours a day :P..

Old 01-05-2011, 09:38 AM

If your doing it for the money then get another hobby.If your doing it for the love of history and maybe an occasional find that might bring a little money in then carry on