Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Metal Detector Reviews
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Advice on Detector Purchase

Old 10-31-2010, 05:58 AM

Default Compass Relic Magnum 7

Well folks,
I'm new to the hobby and have been laid off from work for 1 year, 8 mos. and don't have money for a new detector.I have an offer to barter for a Compass Relic Magnum 7 and I don't know diddly about detectors. I can't find much about these and can only figure that this thing is an older unit. I have not seen it yet or gotten a description of condition. It is in California and I'm in Iowa. I don't want to overpay for this thing and I don't know what to offer in trade. I'm mainly going to be looking for coins,rings,and trinkets, as I doubt there are any gold nuggets here in the Mississippi Valley.Can you folks give me advice on the practicality of these units? Pros and Cons, please?

Old 10-31-2010, 11:43 AM

Hey man, I knew I'd find ya here Check this thread:

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=180

Sounds like a decent beeper, but maybe heavy. Also, many of the old ones used a huge amount of big batteries. Not sure about the one your looking at, but batteries can quickly eat up all your "profit" if you have to buy a lot of batteries.

Old 10-31-2010, 12:42 PM

I've been thinkin about it and just want to be clear. This is just my opinion, but if it uses something like 6 D sized batteries, I'd forget it. My Compadre will last forever on a single 9 volt, and my Tracker IV lasts a long time on 2-9 volts. I can't imagine trying to feed an old unit C or D size batteries. I'll try to keep an eye out for deal on something. Also, keep an eye out on the classified section of the forum. You often see some good deals there.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:28 PM

Default Compass RM7

Hello , I own & occasionally use my old RM7 , bought it back in 1979 . In it's day it was a nice machine , it uses 12 AA batteries in 3 plastic 4 cell packs wasn't too bad with battery life . The TR discrimination doesn't compare with the more modern vlf discriminator machines but that was the standard then . It is coil heavy not well balanced like todays machines , also you had to be careful not to turn up the sensitivity too much or you would get erratic signal responses . I've had alot of fun with this machine brings back many memories .

Old 11-23-2010, 04:59 PM
In memory of...

Yep, I had a BH Red Baron I got at Montgomery Wards back in '83 up in Great Falls, Montana. Never found any gold with it, but it found everything else!!!

Good times!!!

Dusty