Research topics?

CTKidd

Elite Member
OK,I have been to the library. I have been pouring over old books and reading newspaper clippings and my eyes are starting to cross, and not one note worthy lead. I feel as though I am not clueing in on the right key words.

So I was curious what other people clued in on, or if they would be willing to post or PM me their research techniques.

I am not asking you for specific leads or try to take away any of your hardwork, I am merely looking for methods people use.

Thanks in advance,
CTKidd

I research houses of prominent citizens, areas that were once prosperous,
trails and roads that were traveled for over a hundred years, and landmarks along bodies of water... Remember, when folks traveled long ago, there were
no facilities or indoor plumbing, and the woods was an adventure due to
thieves and highwaymen... Many an item was lost in between taverns, where
people stopped for the night...HH

Personally, I know quite a bit about the area I live in due to what I've learned from family and others I've met through the years. You want clues on what was and what to look for? Find an oldtimer and strike up a conversation about yesteryear and how things seemed to have changed. Older folks can drop you hints and clues about things just during a conversation like that and then you have something to start researching on plus a timeframe.

Small museums, historical societies....get out and do the tour. You might be surprised on what you learn from displays in a museum. Historical societies usually have research libraries that contain old letters, ledgers, diaries, photos and newspapers. Some of them even sell copies of old maps. I had an old ledger that was found in an old desk by my grandfather and it was from the 1840's thru 1860's. It even had some old letters dealing with an argument about a dam being built in the river. I donated it to the county historical society for their research library; that's where it actually belonged IMHO. Now lots of people have access to the info in it.

Universities have digital research materials available online as well. You just need to get out and discover the "keywords" for your searches.

The research is practically as much fun as MD'ing once you get into it. One thing leads to another...follow the breadcrumbs that get dropped on you, make notes, hit flea markets, check eBay for postcards, letters, books...you name it.

CT - One part of researching is a love of reading. I read books about the southwest in just about every category.
Some are directly related to my search and some are just "in general". Sometimes you get lucky. One time I was going over an old map and saw "old stage stop". I could hardly contain myself - got there a few days later and dug the goods.

Sometimes 2-3 books just start to sound similar about your search and I start to write them down. After a while I start to see a pattern.

I always have several places in mind to look for so when something pops up I add it.
Like one time I had been looking for an old railroad stop. While reading about a roving preacher he said that he stopped for the night at a small settlement. It turned out to be one of my target sites. He described the whole complex and gave a couple very helpful clues. We went there and detected/sifted the area and took out several hundred things.

I find that the older the maps are the more info I get from them. While I have the Historical Society's library and the public library here, I get the most help from maps & books from the University library. Even a small junior college will help you. One doesn't have to be a student to use them either. In order to check out books at my university library I have to have a library card and that costs 50 bux per year. But that is a small price to pay for what I get from there.

Also, at all public librarys they have a system called the "interlibrary loan" . You can have them order , on a loan basis, just about any book that has been printed. This is usually free or costs very little.

Think of the research as half of the fun in your hunt, not a painful thing you have to go through. Most of these things I have stated do not apply to many but others may find them useful. steve in so az

Steve in AZ,

I'm really envious of you guys out in the southwest and a bit jealous. :D

There's still plenty of wide open country where towns came and went. Here in the urban midwest it's not such a fortunate scenario. I know where the stage coach lines ran through here, I know where the armies marched through during the Blackhawk wars and even know where many towns once were and failed but almost every one of those sites/locations have been either paved over, built on and turned into state parks or historic sites with MD'ing being taboo. :(

Sometimes months of research leads you to standing on the curb looking at an apartment complex, condominium or strip mall and paved parking lot. I'm sure they have the same problems in your parts as well but probably not as frequent. I'm sure the east coast has the same dilema as we do here in the heartland but, I tell you, once you do the research, pinpoint the site and find it's readily available for sweeping you get that all-tingly feeling and can't wait to hit it.

The research is rewarding none the less and I really enjoy it no matter what the outcome.

Thanks for the extra tips/info. Sources are virtually innumerable; you just have to hunt them down.

blklion - Another good thing here is that plant growth is minimal out in the desert due to lack of rain. As a result one can stand on a hill and see forever - with detail. When we go along the old railroad lines we always find our sites. Also, a GPS helps greatly. Just look for things 'out of place'.

Another thing I did once in town = I thought I'd throw out . I went to the county recorder's office and asked to see the list of all the "out of business" swimming pools. Every one had to have a permit at one time. The young gal there had no idea but the older woman did. She gave me a bunch of them on index cards and I wrote the addresses down.
Long story short - I went to them all , some were now a store or hospital, some paved over but a bunch were empty dirt lots. We sure dug a lot of goodies in them. steve in so az

Old photos and info

I just Googled Old Photos in Winsted, CT and got many good bits of info. Here is an example:

III. Old Roads and Stage Coaches

There were several rival stage companies that operated between New Hartford and Riverton. Each stage driver stopped at his favorite inn, receiving certain favors and gratuities in return. There were five village taverns. Four of these were close together, as follows: Launcelot Phelps’ Tavern.
Peletiah Ransom Tavern.
Jesse Ives Tavern (now Riverton Inn).
Tiffany Tavern (now Cook’s Place).

The fifth tavern was at a little distance and is the building now occupied by the families of Leon Coe and Reuben Miller, and was called Pinney Tavern.

The oldest of the stage roads is known as the County road, and it crossed Farmington River at three fords between Pleasant Valley and Riverton. Two of these fords were at the north and south end of Lighthouse Flat. The Riverton iron bridge, opposite the Inn, was built in 1790 and often renewed. It was the only bridge over the Farmington north of New Hartford this side of the Massachusetts line. Two routes were followed by stage-coaches going north from Riverton. One followed the West branch of the Farmington as far as Riverton forks, thence past the barn near the present residence of Miss Mary Buttles up the Still River to Moore’s Bridge, thence to Robertsville and points north. The other road was the back road to Colebrook River past Hog’s Back and Dean Place. It was the same as the present road except that Hog’s ‘Back hill was avoided, first by a left-hand ford above the present swimming pool, a mile above town, and by a right-hand ford near the old Dean Place.

We have the name of only one —- and nearly the last — of the stage drivers. ‘He lived in Riverton and his name was Wallace H. Dowd. He was nearly killed when ‘his stage broke through the old Moore Bridge in 1870. Fayette Alford and Dr. John Hitchcock (son of Lambert) were also injured in the same accident.

CT...I dont know if this will help you out or not but this is what i use. I live in the town listed on the book. It has been an excellent source of research for me so far. I just rec'd permission from one of the places listed in the book. Maybe there is a book like this for your town. the other replies are correct. Old photos are the best as well as old maps. Try looking up on a search "Old areiel photos of "your town here"...Here is a pic of the book I use...Good luck CT!!

Attachments

• Glassboro.jpg
    Glassboro.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 759
My town has kept good records and the library is well stocked with books on the old days in the area. Louis L'amour, the guy who wrote countless western novels mentions this town/area in several of his books. (have to see how accurate he was even though he didn't live that far away)

I try to make friends with as many local natives as possible. I've already got some good leads on arrowhead sites and maybe some meteorites!!!

Dusty

Thanks for the tips guys. I found my first cache lead in an old civil war manuscript written by a soldier did some research tracked it down to NY.

I have to say seeing what I read, made my heart skip a beat. My mind started racing a million miles a minute, shot off an email to NY Historical society, got a response. Found the spot and ...GAH...its paved over now.

I can see how people get addicted to this. I look at it this way. I learned something about our history. I had a huge rush thinking of the possiblities, and I think I may have stumbled onto another lead, we shall see.

Back to the books.

Thanks to everyone for the continued input.

CTKidd

CT...I dont know if this will help you out or not but this is what i use. I live in the town listed on the book. It has been an excellent source of research for me so far. I just rec'd permission from one of the places listed in the book. Maybe there is a book like this for your town. the other replies are correct. Old photos are the best as well as old maps. Try looking up on a search "Old areiel photos of "your town here"...Here is a pic of the book I use...Good luck CT!!

I have been looking for a used copy of that book for my area. I found one in my library but its currently checked out. They are supposed to call when it comes in, I will take a look at it, and if it is nice I will purchase it.

Thanks again,
CTKidd

I am just getting started. I have using a 1903 topo map and comparing to an updated topo then finding the old areas to search in. It helps that I have lived in this area since 1956 and remember where some of the farm houses and such were.

I was at borders yesterday and I was looking at this series of books for my area. They have them not only for towns but they also have them for different subjects in your state. One in Connecticut that I am going to buy is about mining sites of connecticut. Thanks Jersey Digger, great series of books.

Back
Top Bottom