Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Detector Warehouse
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Beach and Water Hunting

Old 06-27-2010, 04:04 PM

Default Caribbean detecting (untouched areas)

I live on the island of St Kitts i have a place i go detecting and find never ending cannon balls (now I just leave them behind), musket balls and even a horse shoe.
I was wondering if there was any tips on detecting in these areas there is tons of shrapnel, cannon balls ect... so I shut off Iron but could I be missing any really good finds?

Also there are beaches everywhere down here and i have been here 2 years and never seen anyone using a metal detector!

Has anyone heard of spot in St Kitts to detect?

Is there anyway to figure out where the good beaches would be based on location around the island, tides, wrecks ect..?

Can not find any good info because few people ever do it here.
thanks Justin

Old 06-27-2010, 06:49 PM
Elite Member

Those are great relics... congratulations. You ask about sites, well, what are you trying to find? Coins? Jewelry? Relics? A lot depends on what your interest may be. RickO

Old 06-27-2010, 07:19 PM

Thanks, i just want to find something different i think the big resort on this island could produce some jewelry. Lots of people stay there and I never see any metal detectors, do you think it would produce some finds?

Some coins would be really cool but I cant seem to find any info on old shipwrecks in the area, got any ideas?

Old 06-27-2010, 07:35 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinb View Post
Thanks, i just want to find something different i think the big resort on this island could produce some jewelry. Lots of people stay there and I never see any metal detectors, do you think it would produce some finds?

Some coins would be really cool but I cant seem to find any info on old shipwrecks in the area, got any ideas?
Well, have you ever gone there and detected? Only one way to find out!

As far as the shipwrecks, coins from them are far and few between....do a great deal of research. Look online, read books--you said that "no one does much of that here", but it is out there, believe me! I had to research a Civil War skirmish site here in the mountains, and at first it was a daunting task, but then you find sources and those lead you to more specific sources, and sooner or later you are up to your neck in great info! Good luck!
NC

Old 06-27-2010, 07:43 PM

Thanks I will let you know how it turns out.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:09 PM
Elite Member

Awesome finds! Yeah, those cannon balls will get heavy in the finds bag
Try around any popular beach, watch where people go and where they tend to lay out on the beach.
As far as shipwrecks, start googling combinations of St. Kitts, ship wreck, spanish, etc. Also, see if it was always called st kitts, maybe it had a different name earlier in history....alot of books have huge excerpts on google books available for online reading...
Best of luck and keep us posted!

Old 06-27-2010, 08:20 PM
Elite Member

Wow.......It never entered my mind to pass up a cannon ball or musket ball. Over here those aprecious. It's funny how different parts of the world view things differently.

Welcome to the forum from Vancouver, WA.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:38 PM

I took my detector to St. Croix (U.S. Virgin Islands) in February of 2006 and for the entire week saw no one else with a detector on the beaches. Like someone else said in an earlier post, any resort beach ought to give up some good finds. I would think that the higher class, ritzy resorts would cater to wealthier clietele, thus any lost jewelry would be of higher quality and possibly of higher than average value. Good luck.

Harley-Dog