Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Indian Nations Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > General Hobby Discussion

Old 05-17-2010, 08:48 PM

Default How to straighten bent rings?

Found a nice silver ring this past Saturday, but is a little bent. i thought I had seen a thread on here how someone had straightened a ring with a link to a site that sold the tools to do it. Can anyone help with this.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:33 PM
Elite Member

Most silver rings can be straightened by sliding them on a ring mandrel and tapping them with a rawhide mallet. Almost any kind of a large tapered punch will work. After doing it one direction, reverse it and do it from the other way so that it is straight. Two sources of ring mandrels are Thunderbird and Rio Grande, both out of Albuquerque. If it is really smashed and the metal is cracked, it will probably break when you straighten it. Almost any jeweler or silversmith should be able to repair it. Most have to remove any stones before they can be soldered.