Strange rifle brass

beam

I'm by no means an expert in rifle ammo, but this seemed odd to me.

I tried to id it via google and wikipedia with no luck.

The end has the markings LC 62

Any ideas or is this just a common round? It seems like the bullet would be way small for the size of powder that the shell can hold.

IMG_4186.jpg

IMG_4187.jpg

IMG_4188.jpg

LC headstamp usually means Lake City. It looks like a round that would be used during a salute, like at a military funeral. No bullet, just a bang.

What you found is a 30 caliber, blank cartridge, that has been fired. It was manufactured in 1962 at the Lake City arsenal. The cross-hair stamp identifies it as a NATO cartridge.

Goofy has it right...

Blank round for certain... but older than the .556 that are for the M16 today.

Yep ...Blank alright .....alll shapes n sizes....Like this .30 cal .

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    177.8 KB · Views: 1,067
Thanks to everyone for all your help! This has been almost as fun as finding an old coin!

Are machine gun links blue now? They were black when I got out. That's only been 41 years ago. Why blue?

That's the parkerized finish on the links, looks like the camera washed it a bit and gave it a blue tone but the links are still black. I was a 60 gunner back in the day and the blanks are easily identifiable due to no projectile.

That's the parkerized finish on the links, looks like the camera washed it a bit and gave it a blue tone but the links are still black. I was a 60 gunner back in the day and the blanks are easily identifiable due to no projectile.

I knew we'd have a guy who'd shot one of these things chime in. Digger, I never would have guessed your answer but it does sound right.

Jennings

I knew we'd have a guy who'd shot one of these things chime in. Digger, I never would have guessed your answer but it does sound right.

Jennings

Oh yeah... I loved that weapon. I think I can still take one apart and put it together with my eyes closed..:D

I wondered if it might have just been the camera. I've seen my share of machine gun ammo, blanks and otherwise. We never carried blanks in the field. 101st Airborne Vietnam '69

I wondered if it might have just been the camera. I've seen my share of machine gun ammo, blanks and otherwise. We never carried blanks in the field. 101st Airborne Vietnam '69

Probably was the camera..During training we used blanks, we never carried blanks in the field either. Vietnam was before my time but thanks for your service!

Deff

It's a 7.62mm M60 or 240B machine gun blank. the reason it has the long front is so it would feed right in the gun dew to the lack of a real bullet. I was a 240B machine gunner we use the same round as the 60.

Hey I just found one of those blank cartridges(LC 62) tonight at a lake side park ! Maybe they used to do a 21 gun salute at 4th of July or something...

Sorry for the delay .....The links are black ,....combination of the things around it ...Camera glitch......Swamp gas coming off the moores ..:lol:

Back
Top Bottom