Sun Spot Mod.

firstbigestmost

Elite Member
This is a prototype of an idea I've had to add some angle to the Sun Spot handle. I cut the shim to 20 degrees to set the angle of the handle. I had to use a mix of hardware until I find the right sized u-bolts in stainless. I used PT for the shim and plan to coat it with spar varnish later. I need to do some minor tweaks to the final product, but functionally it feels rock solid. I'll do some water testing this weekend.;)

1st pic is the stock handle, the rest are mods. HH.

Attachments

• New Scoop 001 (338x800).jpg
    New Scoop 001 (338x800).jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 753
  • Prototype 1 (469x800) - Copy.jpg
    Prototype 1 (469x800) - Copy.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 753
  • Prototype 2 (800x599) - Copy.jpg
    Prototype 2 (800x599) - Copy.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 754
  • Prototype 3 (800x609) - Copy.jpg
    Prototype 3 (800x609) - Copy.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 763
That's one of the complaints I've heard about that scoop, that the handle should be angled back. (The other complaint is the weight.) The only drawback to having the handled angled back that I can think of is that it may be more cumbersome while lifting a scoop full of sand. It may want to roll over on you, if you know what I mean.

I'm thinking about purchasing a Stealth 08 myself, so please let us know how it works out for you after some further testing.

Nice work.

Well I had hoped to have a field report on the Scoop mod today but.....:roll:

I just got my boat back from the shop (ethanol trouble) and figured I would put my wife on to some fish while I detected some out of the way beaches and test the scoop on some nice trashy beaches. Its been a while since we’ve been out on the boat so there was a lot of running around, getting all the necessary stuff together. Plus I was worrying, making sure that my Sand Shark wasn’t going to get banged around or worse, tossed out of the boat if we hit a large wake... Anyway, long story short. The motor ran great, we had a nice ride then decided to do some fishing/detecting. As we started motoring toward our spot I looked around and noticed, NO SCOOP!! :doah: After all that I forgot the $@*! thing at home. Then the wife says, aren’t you going to detect anyway! :dash2: :lol: The saving grace of the trip was when a pod of dolphin came up and cruised next to the boat for a while. Oh well I will try again tomorrow. HH.

What???? That is like saying I am going fishing and getting on the water only to see that your forgot your rods, outriggers, bait, tackle etc....:wow:

Oh well, good luck next time out. Looking forward to your report. BTW, where on the treasure coast do you live? I'm only a couple of hours away and used to work in that area for many years.

What???? That is like saying I am going fishing and getting on the water only to see that your forgot your rods, outriggers, bait, tackle etc....:wow:

Oh well, good luck next time out. Looking forward to your report. BTW, where on the treasure coast do you live? I'm only a couple of hours away and used to work in that area for many years.

:lol: I know, I know........I'm still shaking my head about it, but I still have a angled handle on my Sunspot and time to hunt tomorrow so life is good. ;)

Ok, I see the mod but it seems to me you would have better leverage with the spar at 90 deg. If I bent my handle back on my scoop I would have to then pull back further to get it out of the hole.
Am I thinking right or am I out of 180 deg out of phase?

Jeff:?: Have mercy....Im a newbie.:D

I got some time in on the prototype scoop today. Over all it worked out pretty well. The angle in the scoop made it easier to begin the dig since I could basically just set the scoop where I wanted and get right to it. It did seem like I lost some power on the on the pull back though. The best analogy for me is that the angled handle feels like a shovel type of motion, where the straight handle feels more like a backhoe bucket type of motion. I'm going to make a 10 degree shim and see how that feels.

The hardware turned out to be the weak link. The plates loosened up after about an hour and the handle started to slip. I didn’t expect them to last, just wanted to see if the idea would work. I found some longer stainless u-bolts online but it was $25.00 shipped for 2. :shock: I going to try and find some locally if I can. ;)

Also even with the shim and longer hardware the scoop still weighs less than 6 pounds. HH.

Attachments

• Scoop test 004 (800x599) - Copy.jpg
    Scoop test 004 (800x599) - Copy.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 563
  • Scoop test 005 (800x639) - Copy.jpg
    Scoop test 005 (800x639) - Copy.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 568
  • Scoop test 006 (1024x768) - Copy (2).jpg
    Scoop test 006 (1024x768) - Copy (2).jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 579
Nice mod, that's just the kind of thing that makes this forum great, everyone getting together to improve a design of something that makes life easier. WTG!

If you have an Ace Hardware near you, you may want to check them out. They have allot of stainless steel hardware. Perhaps a marine store could help as well.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies!

I think I found the solution to the lack of variety in commercially made u-bolts.

It turns out that I can buy a 3ft. piece of stainless threaded rod for less than ten bucks, and I found some cool plans for a home made rod bender that I should be able to put together for free with all the scrap lumber I have. So I will just make my own u-bolt to the exact size I want and save some $$$ in the process.

Plus I'm already getting ideas for all the things i can make with the bender. :lol: (scoop hangers, scoop/detector racks, etc.)

Here is the link to the bender, I’ll post pics of the scoop when its finished. HH.

http://appleblock.blogspot.com/2009/09/homemade-rod-bender.html

Update 5/21

Finally got around to finishing up my scoop mod. I felt like the previous 20 degree shim gave the handle too much angle, so I split the difference and made a 10 deg. shim. Pictured are the u-bolts I made from stainless all-thread.

I gotta say this new set up feels really good. The angle was enough to assist well starting the dig, but was still upright enough to give a lot of leverage breaking the basket loose. I also found more of my targets today on the first scoop which I think was due to the sharper entry angle on that first bite.

I was digging mixed sand and shell, getting into some clay-muck in areas. I put in about 4 hours and didn’t have any problem with the handle slipping, like before with the Bolts and steel plates so I’m calling it a success!
It's like a whole new scoop. :cool:

These are my finds from the test hunt, nothing great but I did pick up some foreign coins which is cool. Thanks for looking and HH.

Attachments

• scoop mod 2-1 - Copy.jpg
    scoop mod 2-1 - Copy.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 431
  • scoop mod 2-2 Copy.jpg
    scoop mod 2-2 Copy.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 436
  • scoop mod 2-3 (800x749) - Copy.jpg
    scoop mod 2-3 (800x749) - Copy.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 435
  • scoop mod 2-4.jpg
    scoop mod 2-4.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 405
  • scoop mod nut 1 - Copy.jpg
    scoop mod nut 1 - Copy.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 517
Interesting mod... starting to look like my Babbs scoop ;) Good job :)

Thank you. Oh, by the way...Thats kind of the point ;) :lol:

Cool Mod. Love enginuity. Glad it works good for ya. WTG on the finds. WOLF

Thanks for the love Brother. This mod was a trip down the long road like so many things in this hobby...research leads to a find which leads to research, which expands your ideas on things...more research, new finds ....etc.

That’s what I love about detecting....so many hobbies/pursuits are all locked up. Everything is done. The hero's are statues on pedestals. Metal detecting is different. It is wide open. You can ask a question and get an answer from the most respected people in the field. You can go detecting for the first time, or your hundredth time, or what ever and find the equivalent of a winning super bowl touchdown pass. Anybody can make an impact in this hobby/sport and that has truly got me hooked so hard.
HH.

"That’s what I love about detecting....so many hobbies/pursuits are all locked up. Everything is done. The hero's are statues on pedestals. Metal detecting is different. It is wide open. You can ask a question and get an answer from the most respected people in the field. You can go detecting for the first time, or your hundredth time, or what ever and find the equivalent of a winning super bowl touchdown pass. Anybody can make an impact in this hobby/sport and that has truly got me hooked so hard."
HH.
Well said! :clap:

Back
Top Bottom